Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Old Oct 8th 2014, 4:09 am
Just Joined

BucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant future
Default BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

I'm with Barnsleymat, STAY IN KENT !!!
Pretty much everything here is overpriced, this coupled with low wages and high property prices can result in a pretty miserable existence. Sure you can have a great view and walk on any one of a thousand beautiful beaches but after a while you realise that this country is mind numbingly dull.
You'll find the people very friendly and find it nice that total strangers look you in the eye and say good morning. After a while you'll realise that this is actually very superficial, in reality the locals won't like you very much and will resent your wealth, knowledge and experience. They all feel threatened by non kiwi's, have a ridiculously inflated view of their country's role on the world stage, are unbelievably ignorant, can't drive but think they can and love to drink drive, drink hunt, and drink boat.
You'll be told about the 'world famous' kiwi ingenuity, this is what the rest of the world call COMMON SENSE!
You may experience the 'tall poppy' syndrome, if you start to do well someone will do their best to 'cut you down to size'.
Your neighbours will love to pick up the phone to the council for any infringement you may unwittingly make, kiwi's can't do confrontation and prefer the cowards way.
The media here is a joke, get sky for news other than the price of milk.
Beware of the gangs, they are plentiful,cross them at your peril !
Beware of bad motorists with no insurance, its optional here.
If you buy a house to renovate you'll probably have a stroke the first time you buy any building materials so be careful !
If you have a dog and are looking forward to walking around clean green NZ with it forget it, they're banned from the vast majority of the nice bits.
Schools are NOT free you will be pressured to 'donate' on a regular basis.
Make sure you and your children have perfect teeth, dentists here are thieves.
Emergency services rely heavily on amateur volunteers with varying degrees of ability, don't have a house fire or heart attack when the all blacks are playing you'll have a long wait !
Every visit to your GP will cost you, around $50 is not unusual.
Feel free to ignore all of the above, just remember what I've written when the 'honeymoon' period is over. I've been here nearly 8 years and am getting out next year. Can't wait!!

Last edited by BucksBoy; Oct 8th 2014 at 4:50 am.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 5:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default re: BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Mod Note:

I have moved this post from a new poster's intro thread to a thread of it's own. I have deleted the exact same post made into another intro thread started by a new poster.

Whilst we are all entitled to have a right old moan and a bit of a rant , it is not OK at all to pop up into a conversation , particularly one started by a newbie, with the thought to deliberately alarm and frighten.

Having said that, to make that move across the entire world with hopes and dreams , only to find disillusionment is not something to be ignored because that could happen to anyone for oh so many reasons.

We none of us walk in each other's shoes after all.

OP of this thread. Please take on board what I have written.

I note you have made some rather large sweeping & uncomplimentary statements . That's OK, although open to challenges, as it expresses your own personal feelings about your move to NZ. However, I want it noted that this is just your view and not necessarily the truth for anyone else.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Originally Posted by BucksBoy
I'm with Barnsleymat, STAY IN KENT !!!
Pretty much everything here is overpriced, this coupled with low wages and high property prices can result in a pretty miserable existence. Sure you can have a great view and walk on any one of a thousand beautiful beaches but after a while you realise that this country is mind numbingly dull.
You'll find the people very friendly and find it nice that total strangers look you in the eye and say good morning. After a while you'll realise that this is actually very superficial, in reality the locals won't like you very much and will resent your wealth, knowledge and experience. They all feel threatened by non kiwi's, have a ridiculously inflated view of their country's role on the world stage, are unbelievably ignorant, can't drive but think they can and love to drink drive, drink hunt, and drink boat.
You'll be told about the 'world famous' kiwi ingenuity, this is what the rest of the world call COMMON SENSE!
You may experience the 'tall poppy' syndrome, if you start to do well someone will do their best to 'cut you down to size'.
Your neighbours will love to pick up the phone to the council for any infringement you may unwittingly make, kiwi's can't do confrontation and prefer the cowards way.
The media here is a joke, get sky for news other than the price of milk.
Beware of the gangs, they are plentiful,cross them at your peril !
Beware of bad motorists with no insurance, its optional here.
If you buy a house to renovate you'll probably have a stroke the first time you buy any building materials so be careful !
If you have a dog and are looking forward to walking around clean green NZ with it forget it, they're banned from the vast majority of the nice bits.
Schools are NOT free you will be pressured to 'donate' on a regular basis.
Make sure you and your children have perfect teeth, dentists here are thieves.
Emergency services rely heavily on amateur volunteers with varying degrees of ability, don't have a house fire or heart attack when the all blacks are playing you'll have a long wait !
Every visit to your GP will cost you, around $50 is not unusual.
Feel free to ignore all of the above, just remember what I've written when the 'honeymoon' period is over. I've been here nearly 8 years and am getting out next year. Can't wait!!
Must be in the North Island
Old Oct 8th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

You might find it odd to say that I agree with just about every point you have made there - one of the best summaries of the 'bad points' about NZ I have read - but that I would still rather live here than in the UK.

NZ clearly is not perfect, but I prefer living here to the UK by a long stretch. I guess that in simplistic terms I'm saying that: read that list, then make one of the 'bad points' about life in the UK, and the UK one would be heaps worse.

However, it's not as straightforward as that. People are individuals and there are numerous factors that will have extra effect on how their life is in either of two places.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
You might find it odd to say that I agree with just about every point you have made there - one of the best summaries of the 'bad points' about NZ I have read - but that I would still rather live here than in the UK.

NZ clearly is not perfect, but I prefer living here to the UK by a long stretch. I guess that in simplistic terms I'm saying that: read that list, then make one of the 'bad points' about life in the UK, and the UK one would be heaps worse.

However, it's not as straightforward as that. People are individuals and there are numerous factors that will have extra effect on how their life is in either of two places.
However hardly any of that applies to here in Canterbury.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Bucksboy has pretty much summed up life in NZ, probably with a bit more anger than we feel. All in all a pretty accurate rant especially the bits about the dullness, dog walking, costs and motorists.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 8:26 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Bucksboy has pretty much summed up life in NZ, probably with a bit more anger than we feel. All in all a pretty accurate rant especially the bits about the dullness, dog walking, costs and motorists.
Sorry but this is only your opinion and one that I totally disagree with. The BE site was extremely helpful with getting us to a new life in NZ and I will always be eternally grateful for the unbiased opinions we gathered metered to the posters general demeanor. Canterbury (minus the straight roads !) offers us everything we hoped to find and thankfully we have made good honest friends with plenty of peeps...yes including the natives! We waited nearly 3 years before we were sure we had made the right decision on our move and then sold off our UK house. As I have said before I made a list of pros and cons ref NZ/UK and time to time revisit that list...nothing has changed.
So no a return is not on our books and would we do it all over again...your bloody right we would..
Old Oct 8th 2014, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Sorry but this is only your opinion and one that I totally disagree with. The BE site was extremely helpful with getting us to a new life in NZ and I will always be eternally grateful for the unbiased opinions we gathered metered to the posters general demeanor. Canterbury (minus the straight roads !) offers us everything we hoped to find and thankfully we have made good honest friends with plenty of peeps...yes including the natives! We waited nearly 3 years before we were sure we had made the right decision on our move and then sold off our UK house. As I have said before I made a list of pros and cons ref NZ/UK and time to time revisit that list...nothing has changed.
So no a return is not on our books and would we do it all over again...your bloody right we would..
This site is all about opinions and the above is mine.

Last edited by barnsleymat; Oct 8th 2014 at 9:55 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:04 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
This site is all about opinions and the above is mine.
Absolutely and I respect that though I am glad that peeps can get independent views otherwise there would have been a missed opportunity for us.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:23 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

You have some points I think, though they are put in a very general, sweeping and abrasive way

Being a happy migrant is more down to you and your attitude than the problems in the country you've moved to. IMHO.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just dropping in because so many of the points on the list were like my experience of Los Angeles. Although perhaps not suitable for a 'welcome' thread, they are not extreme either. People being superficially friendly became really difficult. And I was truly shocked when my neighbour reported me to the city council before mentioning a word about a blocked gully running behind our properties to me directly.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:58 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the points are valid but expressed in a combative way I feel. Also not suitable for a 'welcoming' post which is the main issue.

Interestingly, I do sort of understand where the OP is coming from. Having lived in the USA for nearly two years now and disliked it intensely, I can understand the concentration on all things negative and inability to see any positives. The frustration of living somewhere you really don't want to be, feel trapped in and have no affinity with becomes all encompassing.
We move back to NZ very soon
Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:17 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
The frustration of living somewhere you really don't want to be, feel trapped in and have no affinity with becomes all encompassing.
That's how I feel about NZ. Yet, you are looking forward to coming home to NZ.

However, as much as I reckon to like America I know I couldn't live there. I understand you're only there because of your husband's job. The two years is coming to an end and yet I remember the beginning and completely relating to how you felt.

Is that nearly two years already I thought.

I can't go back (in time, to Britain.) But I can go forward, and see it as a future option, to Britain.

All will be revealed in Time. (Anyone remember the play, 'Time' from the 1980's that had songs by Cliff Richard ? No ? OK.)
Old Oct 10th 2014, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to argue about the housing quality and the standards of driving in New Zealand. If you're a cyclist in Canterbury, watch out - especially if wearing lycra.

I could relate to this post earlier in the year. Spending time doing charity work and helping the less fortunate changed all that, oh and changing jobs. However, living in Canterbury probably doesn't help so I can't compare much. I think the OP may be up in Auckland???
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:22 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

If nz was exactly like uk? Why would people move here ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.