Secondary schools

Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

simbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the rough
Question Secondary schools

Could anyone tell us what their experiences are with secondary schools. We are getting both good and bad reports, but mainly bad from the research we have done so far. How does the education system and schools in NZ compare with the UK? Does anyone know specifically of any good schools. We are looking at several areas at the moment, but Bay of Plenty, Wellington and Nelson are looking good so far. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by simbor01; Feb 18th 2008 at 9:50 pm. Reason: put new instead of good
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:41 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Secondary schools

Think they are about a year behind the UK.

Generally good, Wellington City only one mixed. Good boy's ones in Wellington City are Wellington College and St Pats. unsure about girls but Wellinggton East looks good from what I've seen. I say Wellington City as don't know about the others in greater Wellington.

All very focused on sports (as one would expect) and not as much trouble as schools in UK.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
All very focused on sports (as one would expect) and not as much trouble as schools in UK.
The first point seems to be true and the uniforms are very old-fashioned and arguably impractical by modern UK standards. No direct experience just observations.

Personally I find the single sex thing rather quaint as well - that may just be Wellington City though.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:04 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Personally I find the single sex thing rather quaint as well - that may just be Wellington City though.
Two of the more favoured high schools here in Christchurch are Christchurch Girls and Christchurch Boys. I don't know much about them other than real estate agents will make the fact that a certain property is in the Boys' or Girls' High School zone a big selling point.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:01 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

My 10 year (8 when we came out) has done very well and has caught up on her school year - september baby meant that she shot up a school year when we arrived in September (school year runs from Feb). From what we've seen if the kids are integrated earlier into the kiwi schooling they are fine. HOWEVER we had some close friends who had teenagers who switched from UK/International schooling into the standard kiwi secondary(or college) over here and their children suffered - they ended up private schooling so just do a bit of research and have a look at the private schools who follow the cambridge system if you've got teenagers that you're bringing over.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

my kids were yr5 and yr7 in uk when we came...settled in great..eldest one in 2nd yr at college now...all girls...and is good. has revisited a lot of stuff she did back home..personally, i dont think schools are as good academically here, but nowhere near as much pressure on the kids!!! very sporty, which mine arent!!! pros and cons....like most things tho eh??!!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

simbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Secondary schools

Thanks to all that has replied. The info that you are all giving is very helpful in our decision making and we thank you very much for the time you have taken to reply.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:40 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Two of the more favoured high schools here in Christchurch are Christchurch Girls and Christchurch Boys. I don't know much about them other than real estate agents will make the fact that a certain property is in the Boys' or Girls' High School zone a big selling point.
Yes I read somewhere that they put on average an extra $70,000 on top to be in the zoned areas for Girls and Boys High...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:08 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Nelson Boys and Girls have both got a good reputation at the top of the South Island, however I also know of people that forgo the expaense and send their kids to Christchurch to board

There are days (like today ) when we could follow suit!