British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Secondary schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/secondary-schools-515365/)

simbor01 Feb 18th 2008 9:46 pm

Secondary schools

Could anyone tell us what their experiences are with secondary schools. We are getting both good and bad reports, but mainly bad from the research we have done so far. How does the education system and schools in NZ compare with the UK? Does anyone know specifically of any good schools. We are looking at several areas at the moment, but Bay of Plenty, Wellington and Nelson are looking good so far. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

Ted Logan Feb 18th 2008 10:41 pm

Re: Secondary schools

Think they are about a year behind the UK.

Generally good, Wellington City only one mixed. Good boy's ones in Wellington City are Wellington College and St Pats. unsure about girls but Wellinggton East looks good from what I've seen. I say Wellington City as don't know about the others in greater Wellington.

All very focused on sports (as one would expect) and not as much trouble as schools in UK.

luvwelly Feb 18th 2008 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ted Logan (Post 5951210)
All very focused on sports (as one would expect) and not as much trouble as schools in UK.

The first point seems to be true and the uniforms are very old-fashioned and arguably impractical by modern UK standards. No direct experience just observations.

Personally I find the single sex thing rather quaint as well - that may just be Wellington City though.

happynz Feb 18th 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5951231)
Personally I find the single sex thing rather quaint as well - that may just be Wellington City though.

Two of the more favoured high schools here in Christchurch are Christchurch Girls and Christchurch Boys. I don't know much about them other than real estate agents will make the fact that a certain property is in the Boys' or Girls' High School zone a big selling point.

P18PPS Feb 19th 2008 12:01 am

My 10 year (8 when we came out) has done very well and has caught up on her school year - september baby meant that she shot up a school year when we arrived in September (school year runs from Feb). From what we've seen if the kids are integrated earlier into the kiwi schooling they are fine. HOWEVER we had some close friends who had teenagers who switched from UK/International schooling into the standard kiwi secondary(or college) over here and their children suffered - they ended up private schooling so just do a bit of research and have a look at the private schools who follow the cambridge system if you've got teenagers that you're bringing over.

krissie Feb 19th 2008 6:54 am

my kids were yr5 and yr7 in uk when we came...settled in great..eldest one in 2nd yr at college now...all girls...and is good. has revisited a lot of stuff she did back home..personally, i dont think schools are as good academically here, but nowhere near as much pressure on the kids!!! very sporty, which mine arent!!! pros and cons....like most things tho eh??!!:thumbup:

simbor01 Feb 19th 2008 12:28 pm

Thanks to all that has replied. The info that you are all giving is very helpful in our decision making and we thank you very much for the time you have taken to reply.

Andrew Cross Feb 20th 2008 3:40 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5951284)
Two of the more favoured high schools here in Christchurch are Christchurch Girls and Christchurch Boys. I don't know much about them other than real estate agents will make the fact that a certain property is in the Boys' or Girls' High School zone a big selling point.

Yes I read somewhere that they put on average an extra $70,000 on top to be in the zoned areas for Girls and Boys High...:ohmy:

P2L Feb 20th 2008 5:08 am

Nelson Boys and Girls have both got a good reputation at the top of the South Island, however I also know of people that forgo the expaense and send their kids to Christchurch to board :unsure:

There are days (like today :mad:) when we could follow suit!:D