Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RWC - Triumph or flop?

RWC - Triumph or flop?

Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:49 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

I think this video by Englishman Miles Davis of Radio Sport sums up the situation quite nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WazeyJtY7UQ
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:31 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Well ... New Zealand's only the size of a city, in terms of population. We're small. We have to fight to get some sort of recognition in the big, wide world. Rugby is something we're good at, and recognised for, and helps put us on the map. The All Blacks are one of the biggest sporting brands. We want to win this damn thing !!!!! It's something we can be proud of and say ... ahhhhh .... we're not too bad at rugby.
With a population of only three million exactly the same can be said for Wales, rugby is also something they happen to be good at.

Wales hosted the world cup in 1999 but have never won it so perhaps it's time for them to get their hands on the cup?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
With a population of only three million exactly the same can be said for Wales, rugby is also something they happen to be good at.

Wales hosted the world cup in 1999 but have never won it so perhaps it's time for them to get their hands on the cup?
Well, if Wales can win it, I'll applaud them for it. I'll say good on them.
But equally, if NZ win it, I say good on us !!! Why begrudge NZ something (if we win) when we have played well to get it? It will be something for New Zealand to be very proud of, just as the tournament itself and the support New Zealanders have given the teams has been something to be proud of. Yep ... NZ has done a good job so far.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Sep 20th 2011 at 4:44 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:42 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Again, the same can be said of the Welsh.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:50 pm

Again, the same can be said of the Welsh.
Exactly. That's what I said in the post.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:54 pm
Banned

You did?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:56 pm
Banned

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Sep 20th 2011 at 4:59 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:06 pm

You did?
Yep, I said :
Well, if Wales can win it, I'll applaud them for it. I'll say good on them.

and I meant it. Equally, as an All Black fan, I'll be disappointed, as the English fans usually are after a football world cup.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:13 pm
Banned

"If Wales can win it" you're qualifying the sentiment there somewhat. "When Wales win it" would've been so much better, it's like wishing someone all the best with your fingers crossed behind your back

You're saying you want the All Blacks to win because they deserve it and because of all the support the other teams have been given in NZ. I hope that they repay the love by putting on the A team next time out.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:46 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Well ... New Zealand's only the size of a city, in terms of population. We're small. We have to fight to get some sort of recognition in the big, wide world. Rugby is something we're good at, and recognised for, and helps put us on the map. The All Blacks are one of the biggest sporting brands. We want to win this damn thing !!!!! It's something we can be proud of and say ... ahhhhh .... we're not too bad at rugby.
thing is though to take the football analogy, you don't get British or European or South American commentators ranting on beforehand about how their part of the world will sweep all before them at the FIFA world cup because they play such good football (only Mr A "hole" Wenger does that kind of thing).

Then once the tournament is underway and some of the other "clearly inferior" teams start to put pressure on their vaunted stars they don't go on about how boring it is and lacking in skill and finesse only to conclude that perhaps the Boks have got it right and forwards do have some part to play in winning world cups - other than being robotic scrum/lineout winners.

I agree that the ABs are a great brand and represent a nation (or even more than a nation) with a great sporting tradition and culture. But why the hell do these guys get away with disrespect for the rest of the world of rugby....? Is it really what AB fans are thinking? is it really what we want to broadcast to those rugby fans who have come here to see the tournament? I for one would be seriously cheezed off with it if I was from the Northern Hemisphere and heard this night after night on the TV .......
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
thing is though to take the football analogy, you don't get British or European or South American commentators ranting on beforehand about how their part of the world will sweep all before them at the FIFA world cup because they play such good football (only Mr A "hole" Wenger does that kind of thing).

Then once the tournament is underway and some of the other "clearly inferior" teams start to put pressure on their vaunted stars they don't go on about how boring it is and lacking in skill and finesse only to conclude that perhaps the Boks have got it right and forwards do have some part to play in winning world cups - other than being robotic scrum/lineout winners.

I agree that the ABs are a great brand and represent a nation (or even more than a nation) with a great sporting tradition and culture. But why the hell do these guys get away with disrespect for the rest of the world of rugby....? Is it really what AB fans are thinking? is it really what we want to broadcast to those rugby fans who have come here to see the tournament? I for one would be seriously cheezed off with it if I was from the Northern Hemisphere and heard this night after night on the TV .......
Well, I can't stand the one-eyedness of the commentators either. Mind you, if you listen to the Aussie commentators about the Northern Hemisphere style, you'll hear the same sort of thing. Rugby there is trying to compete with League and Aussie Rules. They're always rabbiting on about the forward dominated style of the six nations, because they want rugby to be excitement galore.

I wasn't really disagreeing with some of the criticisms. I was just explaining the situation. Rugby is, rightly or wrongly, part of the NZ culture. It's something for kiwis to crow about because sometimes there's a tendency to be a little insecure with our place in the world, and it's a time where we can yell ... 'hey, look at us!'. Not saying it's right or wrong to do that. Just trying to explain.

We don't think our name's already written on the cup, that's for sure. We know all too well we haven't won the thing since 1987. If anything, I've heard overseas commentators saying that it's a foregone conclusion that NZ will win.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:05 pm

I hope that they repay the love by putting on the A team next time out.
The trouble is nobody knows what the 'A' team is, including, it seems, the selectors.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
But why the hell do these guys get away with disrespect for the rest of the world of rugby....? Is it really what AB fans are thinking? is it really what we want to broadcast to those rugby fans who have come here to see the tournament? I for one would be seriously cheezed off with it if I was from the Northern Hemisphere and heard this night after night on the TV .......
Precisely!! I cringe when I hear them being so disrespectful and nasty about other teams and nations. That Martin Devlin jerk, I could smack him one. Seems they don't care who hears them or they can't hold their mouths, bunch of amateurs - just as well their not being broadcast overseas.

Then look at the headlines today; all wringing their hands at the $12 million that tourists have spent so far. My blood boils at the hypocrisy!!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:06 pm

I should probably put a thing at the bottom of all my posts saying something like : 'Just a kiwi's opinion'

I could be talking through a hole in my head for all I know. It wouldn't be the first time. Lol.

I don't know how I've ended up posting getting towards 100 times on this board. I can't even remember what I googled to get here.

Go All Blacks !!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Precisely!! I cringe when I hear them being so disrespectful and nasty about other teams and nations. That Martin Devlin jerk, I could smack him one. Seems they don't care who hears them or they can't hold their mouths, bunch of amateurs - just as well their not being broadcast overseas.

Then look at the headlines today; all wringing their hands at the $12 million that tourists have spent so far. My blood boils at the hypocrisy!!
Have you listened to Englishman Miles Davis on Radio Sport? He gives it to the kiwi's big time, and he seems to get high ratings. My blood is certainly not boiling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.