Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RWC - Triumph or flop?

RWC - Triumph or flop?

Old Sep 10th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
The roads were completely dead, carparks in town were hardly used. It was great, I checked the traffic cams and couldn't believe my eyes. They was so much scare mongering going on everyone must have fallen for it and left the cars at home, which in turn over loaded the public transport system which even on normal days is terrible. Just before we set off they were filming down near the cloud saying don't try to get onto Quay St, I bet 35 minutes later we were there travelling from Henderson.

If you're going to Eden Park again, give me a shout, you can park at my work close to the stadium.
Thanks for the kind offer unfortunately it was a one time one off freebie for work, we couldn't afford to go otherwise it's Maori TV for our world cup watching from here in then.

Was an amazing opening ceremony though. Can't wait to watch it on catch-up TV tonight.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:57 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Plucky little upstarts those Romanians .
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:20 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:54 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Coverage of the opening ceremony in the UK was poor, however a friend from Coro sent the full spectacle to me via the good old www. I am sure all Kiwi's and immigrants now living under the NZ flag must be well proud of what was presented to the World....fantastic. To be able to win the honour of holding the competition against many other bids was truly magnificent and a major plus for the silver fern. The pubs in England were full early this morning for breakfast and a stout game of rugby....what a start to the day! (and end by a few no doubt!). Well done New Zealand....
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not proud, more ashamed of greed.

From what I can see the RWC is being used as an excuse to fleece as many people as possible.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:14 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not proud, more ashamed of greed.

From what I can see the RWC is being used as an excuse to fleece as many people as possible.
Barnsleymat for a soccer supporter you should by now be well used to 'greed, after having to pay extortionate prices to pay silly wages to budding adonis with silly numbers on their shirts. You make it quite clear from your many, many posts on this rugby thread that you are not a follower full of admiration of the game. NZ will be losing quite a lot of money staging the RWC 2011 but will be lifting their status in the World as a Nation that has the capability of 'doing it in style'.
Please loosen up and enjoy an amazing experience....
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Doing it in style? You obviously weren't one of the thousands trapped on a train last night.

Tickets for football matches are way too high, agreed. But it seems every business has upped the prices expecting a easy windfall, I was told by a colleague yesterday that even the IRB boss had been disgusted by what has happened.

I've been down to Eng/NZ/Aus training camp at Trusts Stadium today, when Eng turn up I'm going to give Jonny a lesson in kicking, for Queen and Country. Just in time for the Eng v Sco game, a game I'm attending.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

It'll probably be a Flop for Sky Sports If they get fined for "indecency" for actually following the streaker across the pitch
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:15 pm

Doing it in style? You obviously weren't one of the thousands trapped on a train last night.

Tickets for football matches are way too high, agreed. But it seems every business has upped the prices expecting a easy windfall, I was told by a colleague yesterday that even the IRB boss had been disgusted by what has happened.

I've been down to Eng/NZ/Aus training camp at Trusts Stadium today, when Eng turn up I'm going to give Jonny a lesson in kicking, for Queen and Country. Just in time for the Eng v Sco game, a game I'm attending.
Agree with the kicking lesson after all that is what he is selected for nowdays shame England are so short at No 10,s. The Scot's will really have their tails up and have no love for the English and for once neither team can boast home advantage. That is one game I would love to be at really envious.....
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:21 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The opening ceremony was very enthusiastic and they put on a good show, I thought it looked a bit low budget but the imagery was evocative and it was good to see Jonah again.

The only part that put me off was the ferocity and violence of the haka, I'd have liked to have seen something more gentle and wecloming - more like the Canadian 2010 winter Olympics opening ceremony, Vancouver being a city that's often compared to Auckland.

The fireworks were ok but I think we get spoiled over here for pyrotechnic displays, I'm sure they looked better for real rather than on the TV.

Looking forward to the closing ceremony, hopefully the transport system and crowd control will be sorted out by then. Heaven help is the ABs lose though, there'll be carnage on the streets
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:23 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

One word (Thank you SBW/Addidas) ...

TRIUMPH
Attached Thumbnails RWC - Triumph or flop?-sonny_bill_1992615c.jpg  
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
One word (Thank you SBW/Addidas) ...

TRIUMPH

SBW - yumyum
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:08 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Am Loolah;9614474]One word (Thank you SBW/Addidas) ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...1&d=1315776148

Another jersey fail?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:22 am
Truth is the safest lie.

I hope you've all been practicing:
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:28 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I hope you've all been practicing:
well maybe pucker up, head down and take a few more Johnnie:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.