Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RWC - Triumph or flop?

RWC - Triumph or flop?

Old Aug 29th 2011, 3:04 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default RWC - Triumph or flop?

11 days to go apparently and well it all feels a bit underwhelming.

My mate in Auckland is very disappointed he could not rent his place out for $4k a week (yes, really) and I wonder in these difficult times, how much of a windfall the country as a whole is going to receive.

Marlborough is playing host to the Russian team and I remember that the local papers were talking about the thousands of Russian supporters coming to Marlborough......Thousands? I do not think so!

It just feel like a huge non event! Whats it like in your part of the world?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

Originally Posted by Catchafire
11 days to go apparently and well it all feels a bit underwhelming.

My mate in Auckland is very disappointed he could not rent his place out for $4k a week (yes, really) and I wonder in these difficult times, how much of a windfall the country as a whole is going to receive.

Marlborough is playing host to the Russian team and I remember that the local papers were talking about the thousands of Russian supporters coming to Marlborough......Thousands? I do not think so!

It just feel like a huge non event! Whats it like in your part of the world?
Kiwis probably wont think its a non-event - not until they lose anyway.

But the thing is so uncompetitive its a joke , try backing NZ or England or Australia to win one of their first group games - you cant because its a certainty.
expensive waste of time for everybody
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I like how there's banners everywhere saying 'the world is coming to play, hardly the world. It's a couple of countries that take Rugby serious and anyone else that can cobble a team together. Not having a qualification for teams to enter to play proves this.

I'm really looking forward to the opening event in Auckland with fireworks and all that but the rest doesn't bother me one bit.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I like how there's banners everywhere saying 'the world is coming to play, hardly the world. It's a couple of countries that take Rugby serious and anyone else that can cobble a team together. Not having a qualification for teams to enter to play proves this.

Not true! There were 86 teams participating (directly or indirectly) in regional qualifying competitions and a further 12 teams qualifying automatically, 98 nations were involved in the 2011 Rugby World Cup process.

There's a damned sight more of the world coming to play rugby than compete's in the World Series at baseball (rounders)

Last edited by Robbie2010; Aug 29th 2011 at 4:57 am.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010

There's a damned sight more of the world coming to play rugby than compete's in the World Series at baseball (rounders)
thats true. Youd think theyd let Japan and Cuba at least have a hit

Last edited by Browner_; Aug 29th 2011 at 5:03 am.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:10 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Triumph or flop? I'll leave it until it has at least started before making my mind up on that one.

I'm really excited about it - got my tickets to Eng-Arg and a corporate invite to a game in Auckland too, and Mrs S is all excited about being chosen to sing some anthems at the local stadium.

Even the All Blacks helping to set lower expectations is a good thing in my mind - much better to actually not be too much heralded until the business end of the comp!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Not true! There were 86 teams participating (directly or indirectly) in regional qualifying competitions and a further 12 teams qualifying automatically, 98 nations were involved in the 2011 Rugby World Cup process.

They nearly all qualified automatically. I'd hardly call it a competition you have to qualify for, I think you just need to fill a form in and you're in.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:44 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Triumph or flop for who? In England the pubs are all set to open up early morning with breakfast and bucks fizz laid on for the England games and are all expecting good sales. Even soccer supporters are booking up places and digging out their St George shirts so support an England team that at least has a chance to win a game or two........
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Triumph or flop for who? In England the pubs are all set to open up early morning with breakfast and bucks fizz laid on for the England games and are all expecting good sales. Even soccer supporters are booking up places and digging out their St George shirts so support an England team that at least has a chance to win a game or two........
Behave yourself. It's football.

Just because someone likes football, it doesn't mean they can't also like rugby
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Major triumph...all those men in tight shorts..........
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

With 45 mentions within one evening of television, no wonder people are bored sick with it already. We're all well aware that ticket sales haven't 'quite' been as they had anticipated, to the the tune of several million dollars.

The ABs loss to the Wallabies at the weekend is hoped to get the Aussies a bit more interested, but honestly I think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel keep plugging away to this merry band of 4 million folks trying to drum up business.

The comments say it all really, most seem to be 'over it'!!

How much is too much rugby talk??
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
They nearly all qualified automatically. I'd hardly call it a competition you have to qualify for, I think you just need to fill a form in and you're in.

True. I bet there's barely an handful of people playing the game in those countries that 'missed out' in the tough qualification process.

There's only about 4 teams at the 'world cup' that ever beaten NZ at Rugby. To claim it's the world's 3rd biggest sporting event is frankly ridiculous.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:18 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on how you define big

It's all fun until someone gets kneed in the face then it's a major drama. Thought I'd tuned in to NZ's Top Model by mistake on Sat night.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:21 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
With 45 mentions within one evening of television, no wonder people are bored sick with it already. We're all well aware that ticket sales haven't 'quite' been as they had anticipated, to the the tune of several million dollars.

The ABs loss to the Wallabies at the weekend is hoped to get the Aussies a bit more interested, but honestly I think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel keep plugging away to this merry band of 4 million folks trying to drum up business.

The comments say it all really, most seem to be 'over it'!!

How much is too much rugby talk??
You have my heartfelt sympathies, there are a few ads on Foxtel sports over here but they're pretty much tongue-in-cheek, they're not taking it too seriously thank god.

What is getting on my wick are the number of ads for rugby tour packages and special deals to NZ - it's beginning to smack of desperation, which is never a pretty look. From where I'm sitting I'd say FLOP.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
True. I bet there's barely an handful of people playing the game in those countries that 'missed out' in the tough qualification process.

There's only about 4 teams at the 'world cup' that ever beaten NZ at Rugby. To claim it's the world's 3rd biggest sporting event is frankly ridiculous.
I've not heard them claim it's the third biggest sporting event. There's only a couple of matches sold out and let's face it, the stadiums are tiny for a 'World' competition.

They seem to always roll the population excuse out for embarrassing gates but NZ is similar to Scotland and they have no problems getting huge attendance for sporting events.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.