British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   RWC - Triumph or flop? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rwc-triumph-flop-730349/)

Catchafire Aug 29th 2011 3:04 am

RWC - Triumph or flop?

11 days to go apparently and well it all feels a bit underwhelming.

My mate in Auckland is very disappointed he could not rent his place out for $4k a week (yes, really) and I wonder in these difficult times, how much of a windfall the country as a whole is going to receive.

Marlborough is playing host to the Russian team and I remember that the local papers were talking about the thousands of Russian supporters coming to Marlborough......Thousands? I do not think so!

It just feel like a huge non event! Whats it like in your part of the world?

Browner_ Aug 29th 2011 4:24 am

Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 9587443)
11 days to go apparently and well it all feels a bit underwhelming.

My mate in Auckland is very disappointed he could not rent his place out for $4k a week (yes, really) and I wonder in these difficult times, how much of a windfall the country as a whole is going to receive.

Marlborough is playing host to the Russian team and I remember that the local papers were talking about the thousands of Russian supporters coming to Marlborough......Thousands? I do not think so!

It just feel like a huge non event! Whats it like in your part of the world?

Kiwis probably wont think its a non-event - not until they lose anyway.

But the thing is so uncompetitive its a joke , try backing NZ or England or Australia to win one of their first group games - you cant because its a certainty.
expensive waste of time for everybody

barnsleymat Aug 29th 2011 4:42 am

I like how there's banners everywhere saying 'the world is coming to play, hardly the world. It's a couple of countries that take Rugby serious and anyone else that can cobble a team together. Not having a qualification for teams to enter to play proves this.

I'm really looking forward to the opening event in Auckland with fireworks and all that but the rest doesn't bother me one bit.

Robbie2010 Aug 29th 2011 4:52 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9587512)
I like how there's banners everywhere saying 'the world is coming to play, hardly the world. It's a couple of countries that take Rugby serious and anyone else that can cobble a team together. Not having a qualification for teams to enter to play proves this.

Not true! There were 86 teams participating (directly or indirectly) in regional qualifying competitions and a further 12 teams qualifying automatically, 98 nations were involved in the 2011 Rugby World Cup process.

There's a damned sight more of the world coming to play rugby than compete's in the World Series at baseball (rounders) ;)

Browner_ Aug 29th 2011 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 9587527)

There's a damned sight more of the world coming to play rugby than compete's in the World Series at baseball (rounders) ;)

thats true. Youd think theyd let Japan and Cuba at least have a hit

southerner Aug 29th 2011 5:10 am

Triumph or flop? I'll leave it until it has at least started before making my mind up on that one.

I'm really excited about it - got my tickets to Eng-Arg and a corporate invite to a game in Auckland too, and Mrs S is all excited about being chosen to sing some anthems at the local stadium.

Even the All Blacks helping to set lower expectations is a good thing in my mind - much better to actually not be too much heralded until the business end of the comp!

barnsleymat Aug 29th 2011 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 9587527)
Not true! There were 86 teams participating (directly or indirectly) in regional qualifying competitions and a further 12 teams qualifying automatically, 98 nations were involved in the 2011 Rugby World Cup process.

They nearly all qualified automatically. I'd hardly call it a competition you have to qualify for, I think you just need to fill a form in and you're in.

Stormer999 Aug 29th 2011 6:44 am

Triumph or flop for who? In England the pubs are all set to open up early morning with breakfast and bucks fizz laid on for the England games and are all expecting good sales. Even soccer supporters are booking up places and digging out their St George shirts so support an England team that at least has a chance to win a game or two........:D

Leither Aug 29th 2011 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 9587639)
Triumph or flop for who? In England the pubs are all set to open up early morning with breakfast and bucks fizz laid on for the England games and are all expecting good sales. Even soccer supporters are booking up places and digging out their St George shirts so support an England team that at least has a chance to win a game or two........:D

Behave yourself:D. It's football:thumbsup:.

Just because someone likes football, it doesn't mean they can't also like rugby

j19fmm Aug 29th 2011 8:01 am

Major triumph...all those men in tight shorts..........

Bo-Jangles Aug 29th 2011 8:41 am

With 45 mentions within one evening of television, no wonder people are bored sick with it already. We're all well aware that ticket sales haven't 'quite' been as they had anticipated, to the the tune of several million dollars.

The ABs loss to the Wallabies at the weekend is hoped to get the Aussies a bit more interested, but honestly I think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel keep plugging away to this merry band of 4 million folks trying to drum up business.

The comments say it all really, most seem to be 'over it'!! :rofl:

How much is too much rugby talk??

chocolate cake Aug 29th 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9587630)
They nearly all qualified automatically. I'd hardly call it a competition you have to qualify for, I think you just need to fill a form in and you're in.

True. I bet there's barely an handful of people playing the game in those countries that 'missed out' in the tough qualification process.

There's only about 4 teams at the 'world cup' that ever beaten NZ at Rugby. To claim it's the world's 3rd biggest sporting event is frankly ridiculous.

Expat Kiwi Aug 29th 2011 10:18 am

It all depends on how you define big :D

It's all fun until someone gets kneed in the face then it's a major drama. Thought I'd tuned in to NZ's Top Model by mistake on Sat night.

Expat Kiwi Aug 29th 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9587763)
With 45 mentions within one evening of television, no wonder people are bored sick with it already. We're all well aware that ticket sales haven't 'quite' been as they had anticipated, to the the tune of several million dollars.

The ABs loss to the Wallabies at the weekend is hoped to get the Aussies a bit more interested, but honestly I think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel keep plugging away to this merry band of 4 million folks trying to drum up business.

The comments say it all really, most seem to be 'over it'!! :rofl:

How much is too much rugby talk??

You have my heartfelt sympathies, there are a few ads on Foxtel sports over here but they're pretty much tongue-in-cheek, they're not taking it too seriously thank god.

What is getting on my wick are the number of ads for rugby tour packages and special deals to NZ - it's beginning to smack of desperation, which is never a pretty look. From where I'm sitting I'd say FLOP.

barnsleymat Aug 29th 2011 10:36 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 9587888)
True. I bet there's barely an handful of people playing the game in those countries that 'missed out' in the tough qualification process.

There's only about 4 teams at the 'world cup' that ever beaten NZ at Rugby. To claim it's the world's 3rd biggest sporting event is frankly ridiculous.

I've not heard them claim it's the third biggest sporting event. There's only a couple of matches sold out and let's face it, the stadiums are tiny for a 'World' competition.

They seem to always roll the population excuse out for embarrassing gates but NZ is similar to Scotland and they have no problems getting huge attendance for sporting events.

chippy64 Aug 29th 2011 10:37 am

The football World Cup is being held in Qatar (you know, that well known football nation) with a population of less than 2 million.............:thumbsup:

Give me rugby any day! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

barnsleymat Aug 29th 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 9587957)
The football World Cup is being held in Qatar (you know, that well known football nation) with a population of less than 2 million.............:thumbsup:

Give me rugby any day! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

They could hold it on the moon and shift more tickets than the RWC.

lardyl Aug 29th 2011 11:04 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9587970)
They could hold it on the moon and shift more tickets than the RWC.

true but Qatar?? - come on Herr Blattie-arse :rofl:

lardyl Aug 29th 2011 11:06 am

OT - depends on whether the ABs win. If they do then it don't matter what it does commercially or even culturally most Kiwis will call it "choice".
Could be a flop if they lose and not that many foreigners come to watch. Will keep my eye on the "vacancies" signs hereabouts.

Robbie2010 Aug 29th 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 9587888)

The 2007 tournament had a cumulative world television audience of 4.2 billion for the 48 matches, with an average attendance of 47,150 per match, and a total attandance at all matches of 2,263,223 .... Hardly small fry!

mickey_d Aug 29th 2011 12:07 pm

It's a triumph for the motel owners who are charging my wife an extra $350 for her 2 trips to Wellington for her degree course at uni during the world cup.
Very annoying, especially her 2nd visit on 18-19 october, last game in Wellington is on the 9th:thumbdown:

Charismatic Aug 29th 2011 1:52 pm

Lets wait until afterwards to judge regarding visitor numbers and spending if it was a success. TBH no country makes money out of big sports events overall unless you cohost (like cricket does).

I've not met any tourists over for the RWC but I don't live in the right place.

DC10 Aug 29th 2011 9:20 pm

Interesting sign that return flights from UK to NZ during Sept/Oct are, if anything, cheaper now than if booked at the start of 2011. Also there seem to be very few sold out matches.

Maybe it's all just too expensive.

southerner Aug 29th 2011 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9588895)
Interesting sign that return flights from UK to NZ during Sept/Oct are, if anything, cheaper now than if booked at the start of 2011. Also there seem to be very few sold out matches.

Maybe it's all just too expensive.

Or there is a global recession on.

lardyl Aug 29th 2011 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 9588908)
Or there is a global recession on.

or our football team's annual piss-up is on the night of the only pool game really worth going to - England-v-Scotland - should be a good night for those at Eden Park and for us watching it at the Woolshed!

Catchafire Aug 29th 2011 10:18 pm

I just got back from Town (Blenheim) and there are street signs in the center in Russian! Which I thought was a nice touch.....not met any Russians yet.

Although without wanting to stereotype, how do you spot a Russian in New Zealand?

Am Loolah Aug 29th 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 9589006)
I just got back from Town (Blenheim) and there are street signs in the center in Russian! Which I thought was a nice touch.....not met any Russians yet.

Although without wanting to stereotype, how do you spot a Russian in New Zealand?

The bottle of Smirnoff tucked under their arm?:blink:

I don't think it can be judged until it's underway, but I'm looking forward to it. Nice to see some fences and walls being painted with ferns and words of encouragement. Including one reading "This time ... PLEEEEEASE" !!:lol:

barnsleymat Aug 29th 2011 10:55 pm

Mullet, 1980's black clothing, scruffy footwear, as you say they'll be difficult to seperate from the locals!

Persephone Aug 29th 2011 11:07 pm

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest or excitement about the RWC here in Chch, in fact I can't recall anyone even mentioning that it's on - no surprises there. It just doesn't seem that important!

I will watch some matches and am considering going up to Auckland to watch a match [though more to stay with friends who are over from Sydney, they were originally going to come to Chch:(]

lardyl Aug 30th 2011 1:12 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9589053)
Mullet, 1980's black clothing, scruffy footwear, as you say they'll be difficult to seperate from the locals!

LOL

a few Russian ladies can be like that, difficult to separate from the locals' [wallets].....allegedly......

"be careful what you order over the net/by post"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...Russian-brides

Anyway whilst looking for an online reference came across a wonderful poem:

The perfect man is gentle
Never cruel or mean
He has a beautiful smile
And keeps his face so clean.
The perfect man likes children
And will raise them by your side
He will be a good father
As well as a good husband to his bride.
The perfect man loves cooking
Cleaning and vacuuming too
He'll do anything in his power
To convey his feelings of love for you.
The perfect man is sweet
Writing poetry from your name
He's a best friend to your mother
And kisses away your pain.
He has never made you cry
Or hurt you In any way
Oh, f@@k this stupid poem
The perfect man is gay

lardyl Aug 30th 2011 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 9589072)
Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest or excitement about the RWC here in Chch, in fact I can't recall anyone even mentioning that it's on - no surprises there. It just doesn't seem that important!

I will watch some matches and am considering going up to Auckland to watch a match [though more to stay with friends who are over from Sydney, they were originally going to come to Chch:(]

Our kids are taking odd shaped balls to school and the little un got his RWC top out this morning to take that and show it off. Plenty of me mates are off to games and a few have packages - quite a few have corporate seats and work related stuff going on. One even won a pair of final tickets with a package. So some interest around here at least.

Charismatic Aug 30th 2011 2:28 am

Last time I saw at the beginning of the month there where still about a quarter of a million tickets to sell.

If they meet their target the tournament will cost about $39m (two thirds tax payer funded), if they sold every ticket it will still cost $9m.

What always suprises me is the way tickets are priced, there is no problem selling out later games but most of the early games fail to sell. There is nothing sadder than an empty stadium.

lardyl Aug 30th 2011 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9589337)
Last time I saw at the beginning of the month there where still about a quarter of a million tickets to sell.

If they meet their target the tournament will cost about $39m (two thirds tax payer funded), if they sold every ticket it will still cost $9m.

What always suprises me is the way tickets are priced, there is no problem selling out later games but most of the early games fail to sell. There is nothing sadder than an empty stadium.

indeed
why don't they drop the prices at some point rather than waiting for a passing millionaire to decide, you know I'll go and watch Tonga play today.....
suppose they don't us unwashed up there with real fans or the mega rich????

perhaps they could sell them on TradeMe ..... ?? might make a decent price for some of those that don't get sold via Ticketmaster...???
or raffle them off ?>>>?
I mean the decent seats in all categories will have gone now so it's not such a bad look for those who've already bought????
or am I being too optimistic?
I mean if U2 can do it can't RWC Ltd do it??

Jan n Neil Aug 30th 2011 5:39 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 9588085)
It's a triumph for the motel owners who are charging my wife an extra $350 for her 2 trips to Wellington for her degree course at uni during the world cup.
Very annoying, especially her 2nd visit on 18-19 october, last game in Wellington is on the 9th:thumbdown:

Thats whats killed it people will not come half way round the world to be ripped off :frown:

Flop

Browner_ Aug 30th 2011 9:22 am

Not wearing black and adequately dressed for the cold weather?

chocolate cake Aug 30th 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9587955)
I've not heard them claim it's the third biggest sporting event. There's only a couple of matches sold out and let's face it, the stadiums are tiny for a 'World' competition.

They seem to always roll the population excuse out for embarrassing gates but NZ is similar to Scotland and they have no problems getting huge attendance for sporting events.

I'm afraid they do claim it to be the third biggest sporting event, at least NZ Rugby Union and even John Key!
"... when the Rugby World Cup, the third largest sporting event in the world, is being hosted by New Zealand"
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/electio...-says-ne-84955

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 9588015)
The 2007 tournament had a cumulative world television audience of 4.2 billion for the 48 matches, with an average attendance of 47,150 per match, and a total attendance at all matches of 2,263,223 .... Hardly small fry!

Yep, small fry when compared to the World Cup, Olympics.

Even this year Cricket World Cup must rival it, figures for the final will have been larger with India v Sri Lanka, then there's Athletics World Championships, Tour de France....etc.

DC10 Aug 30th 2011 10:12 am

I'm not sure it's wise to compare expected attendances with 2007, where you had perhaps two thirds of world rugby fans within a couple of hours' flight/a day's drive of the matches. NZ is not like that.

lardyl Aug 31st 2011 5:58 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9589932)
I'm not sure it's wise to compare expected attendances with 2007, where you had perhaps two thirds of world rugby fans within a couple of hours' flight/a day's drive of the matches. NZ is not like that.

seems like the loss to the wobblies has encouraged more Aussies to pop over so there may be a few more tickets sold. which overall would be a good thing, aside from them being Aussies.....:lol:

barnsleymat Aug 31st 2011 7:09 am

Just read there's still 4000 tickets available for the opening game at Eden Park, that's pi55 poor.

I'm fed up of hearing about the RWC and the All Blacks, all this fuss and they can't sell the opening game out featuring the host nation.

What's up with the locals? It wouldn't happen in any other competition in the world.

Stormer999 Aug 31st 2011 10:20 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9591854)
Just read there's still 4000 tickets available for the opening game at Eden Park, that's pi55 poor.

I'm fed up of hearing about the RWC and the All Blacks, all this fuss and they can't sell the opening game out featuring the host nation.

What's up with the locals? It wouldn't happen in any other competition in the world.

For someone who is fed up with the RWC you do seem to be one of the few who keeps going on about it!......;)