Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Qantas Grounds all Flights!

Qantas Grounds all Flights!

Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Grounds all Flights!

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I agree. People can't have it both ways....everyone is attracted to Australia because of its higher wages and better terms and conditions. No one makes the connection that the stronger unions might just have something to do with this.

Julia might have to step in and nationalise Qantas - could help her flagging popularity?

Imagine the horror of being stuck in NZ or Oz and there being no airline to fly you out?
Strong unions are great if you're employed. The MWA have ensured that their members are the highest paid marine workers in the world. They have also ensured that there isn't work for everyone else as the costs are too high! They keep everyone else out of their club and hold the industry to ransom on a whim, and they are a bunch of racist buggers too.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Strong unions are great if you're employed. The MWA have ensured that their members are the highest paid marine workers in the world. They have also ensured that there isn't work for everyone else as the costs are too high! They keep everyone else out of their club and hold the industry to ransom on a whim, and they are a bunch of racist buggers too.
Yeah very true, unions you only need them when you no longer have them.
It is very incompetent however to not be able to deal fairly with employees and to let things get this far.

How do you feel about the appropriateness of the CEO's 71% pay rise?

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 30th 2011 at 9:04 am.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yeah very true, unions you only need them when you no longer have them.
It is very incompetent however to not be able to deal fairly with employees and to let things get this far.

How do you feel about the appropriateness of the CEO's 71% pay rise?
Thought it was awful until I heard that it was half what his predecessor got. Still a ridiculous amount of money!
Workers and management - it will never change. Each can't live without the other and each thinks they are worth more than the other. Every day I get grief for sitting on my arse all day in the office while they are out there sitting on their arses all day in a digger! I appreciate their skills but they don't appreciate mine, why is that...
Education I suppose...
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
There is only so much sympathy I can feel for a company that is on track to doubled its profitability this year. What the staff are asking for amounts to less than one eighth of the airlines expected profits this year.

Looking at the business as a whole the staff aren’t being unreasonable IMO.
The news said they were making a $100 million loss so far this year?
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:50 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

There is only so much sympathy I can feel for a company that is on track to doubled its profitability this year.
Bet it isn't now.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Each can't live without the other and each thinks they are worth more than the other. .
The point we are missing is that in the age of outsourcing to the lowest-wage economy, no one's job is safe and the boot is firmly now on senior management's foot (in 1970s in UK it was in the other direction and I never forgave the TGWU for bringing down Jim Callaghan's Government which was trying to balance the books in a reasonable fashion with 5% pay freeze).

The employers can outsource with no regard to the consumers in a country having money in their pockets to buy the goods they have outsourced overseas.

Governments place contracts overseas even though placing them for slightly more cost in the home country would mean lower social security bills. False economy.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:12 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

It looks to me like Qantas is trying to cut costs by pretending the two airlines are separate so they can outsource and save a bit. Fair gag if the unions won't see the employees systematically fired as Qantas rebrands itself as Jetstar (or just plain substitutes some cheaper staff).
I was just listening to the news and it mentioned that they were using NZ pilots and crew paid at NZ wages, but dressed in Qantas uniforms. Can't find more about this on the internet. Is this an example of John Key's claim the NZ wages are competitive in comparison to OZ?
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:20 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

'course and we all know that being more competative means a lower unemployment rate . I heard this but it was Jetstar pilots flying Qantas branded aircraft.

Either way they are back at work now and will no doubt be forced into an equitable resolution by the arbitration committee.