Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Our flights are booked!!!!!!!!

Our flights are booked!!!!!!!!

Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:04 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our flights are booked!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou

We have booked our flights. I can't believe it. I feel really excited, and all of a sudden a bit sick at finally doing something concrete towards our move!

We are flying from Manchester on 19th October with Singapore Airlines, as I read on here they are good when you have little nippers.

Just got to decorate, de-clutter and sell house. Save some dosh. Look into areas, schools, kindergartens.......................... I had better get a wriggle on!

They are A1

We flew Emirates recent and regretted it. With Sing Air the Sing govt sponsor something like 70% for accommodation if you stop over a couple of nights.

My advice is go for it

Take the wee ones to Santosa

Changi airport is spotless and fantastic as is the rest of Sing

Made a huge impression on us

Be careful not to take chewing gum into Sing, they are VERY strict re that

Enjoy
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:27 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
Be careful not to take chewing gum into Sing, they are VERY strict re that

I thought the strict law only relates to its disposal (ie in the bin - its rightful place and not the pavements), or is it not allowed at all now?

Agree it's an excellent place to stopover, especially for those with children. Clean, compact, English-friendly and with a few things to see/do.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

My flights are now booked too, 11th March from Manchester also Singapore Airlines. Quite frightening how fast things have moved for me, I only made the first serious moves into looking at emigration by applying for a job over the net on 9th Feb.

House is only just in the process of going on on the market today, removals in a week today, I finish work tomorrow, having taken voluntary redundancy at work but so so much still to do. But I'm really looking forward to things
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:45 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
My flights are now booked too, 11th March from Manchester also Singapore Airlines. Quite frightening how fast things have moved for me, I only made the first serious moves into looking at emigration by applying for a job over the net on 9th Feb.

House is only just in the process of going on on the market today, removals in a week today, I finish work tomorrow, having taken voluntary redundancy at work but so so much still to do. But I'm really looking forward to things
Wow - that is quick!!!

We started looking early Jan and are looking at an 18 month drawn out process!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Wow Chocolate cake!!! That is so quick. You must feel like you are in a whirlwind!! But it's so exciting. Where are you heading too?

Thanks for the comments on Singapore. I checked out previous posts on here about flying with children, and that is was prompted me to book. So thanx to everyone on here for all your sound advice.

PL
xx
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:52 pm
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
Hi nearly Nurse,

I know just what you mean. It's hard to plan for somewhere you have never been, and something you have never done before!! It's not for the faint-hearted thats for sure! We are a brave bunch aren't we!

What area are you looking at?

PL
xx
Hi Pumpkinlou

I have a slight advantage, iv been there 5 times before!! I dunno how you guys can do it having no experiences of it! You are braver than me thats for sure but if its alright with you i'll class myself as being a bit brave Im struggling with packing up the house because we have never sold a house before ...where does all the junk come from?!

We will be going to Whangarei in Northland, iv got a job in Whangarei hospital . Where you thinking of?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Hiya!

Well, I figured anywhere has got to be better than Walsall!! So gonna suck it and see as they say!!

We are heading to Wellington to join the Porirua Posse!!

I am totally dreading the packing. Our ceiling is surely going to cave in with the amount of tat we have stuffed into the loft! It is definitely a good excuse to de-clutter. We had a quote from Burke Bros. last week for shipping. As he walked round the house, he said he strongly advised us to be ruthless with getting rid of unwanted stuff. i think he must have thought - "what a load of junk" Most of it is the Childrens things though!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=spid;

We started looking early Jan and are looking at an 18 month drawn out process![/QUOTE]

Hi Spid, didn't ask you before, are you and OH looking for jobs? Or is he planning on being a kept man?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:37 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I thought the strict law only relates to its disposal (ie in the bin - its rightful place and not the pavements), or is it not allowed at all now?

Agree it's an excellent place to stopover, especially for those with children. Clean, compact, English-friendly and with a few things to see/do.
Interesting question:

Did the old Google and got this ………………

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The chewing gum ban in Singapore was enacted in 1992 and revised in 2004. It bans the import and sale of chewing gum in Singapore. Since 2004, chewing gum of therapeutic value has been allowed into Singapore following the United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement (USS-FTA).
Contents
[hide]
• 1 Legislation
• 2 History
o 2.1 Immediate results of ban
o 2.2 International attention
o 2.3 Revision of the Act
o 2.4 Biodegradable Gum Being Researched
• 3 References

[edit] Legislation
Chewing gum is banned in Singapore under the "Regulation of Imports and Exports (Chewing Gum) Regulations." Except for chewing gum of therapeutic value, the "importing" of chewing gum into Singapore is absolutely banned.
A common misconception among citizens is that personal use quantities of chewing gum are allowed into Singapore. However, according to the set of Regulations, "importing" means to "bring or cause to be brought into Singapore by land, water or air from any place which is outside Singapore ..." any goods, even if they are not for purposes of trade. The set of Regulations also does not make any provisions for personal use quantities to be brought into Singapore. Therefore, bringing chewing gum into Singapore, even small quantities for whatever purpose, is technically prohibited.

[1]
[edit] History

In his memoirs[2], Lee Kuan Yew recounted that as early as 1983, when he was still serving as Prime Minister, a proposal for the ban was brought up to him by the Minister for National Development. Chewing gum was causing serious maintenance problems in high-rise public housing flats, with vandals disposing of spent gum in mailboxes, inside keyholes and even on elevator buttons. Chewing gum left on floors, stairways and pavements in public areas increased the cost of cleaning and damaged cleaning equipment. Gum stuck on the seats of public buses was also considered a problem. However, Lee thought that a ban would be "too drastic" and did not take action.
In 1987, the S$5 billion metro system, the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT), began operations. It was then the largest public project ever implemented in Singapore, and expectations were high. One of the champions of the project, Ong Teng Cheong, who later became the first democratically-elected President, declared," …the MRT will usher in a new phase in Singapore's development and bring about a better life for all of us."

It was then reported that vandals had begun sticking chewing gum on the door sensors of MRT trains, preventing the door from functioning properly and causing disruption of train services. Such incidents were rare but costly and culprits were difficult to apprehend. In January 1992, Goh Chok Tong, who had just taken over as Prime Minister, decided on a ban. The restriction on the distribution of chewing gum was enacted in Singapore Statute Chapter 57, the Control of Manufacture Act, which also governs the restriction of alcohol and tobacco.