Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:26 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be warned . RANT

Originally Posted by frogeye
Seems to be an NZ problem.
We were in a hotel that seemed to be the midnight magnet for the local nutters on bikes and card (hoons are they?).
We remembered same problem from 6 years back and no change, so only thing to do was to move. We moved room to the other side of the hotel - problem solved.

As no one is in a rush to solve your problem then I guess that is what you will have to do - move.

Are the disclosure rules the same as here in the UK, where you have to report any problems you have had or reported? It certainly cuts down on the complaints if you know they have to be reported if you move.

I know of one ex colleague who had a similar problem with a noisy neighbour, he slotted the bloke, spent a night in nick and sold up and moved out. He only mentioned that he had a disagreement with a neighbour but not why.

Must be somewhere quieter you can move to?
I disagree that it is a problem specific to NZ. I grew up in London and lived there until my late 20's, then moved to a deserted Cornish village - there was noise in both places. In Cornwall I had the neighbour from hell ... but that's a whole nother story.

BEVS - I'm sure you've explored what action you can take, but here may give you an idea of what other options are left.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:55 am
Just Joined

frogeye will become famous soon enough

Ah - sorry about that - I meant to say 'It seems to be a problem in NZ'

No offence intended

frogeye
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Tip here, don't buy a house next to a pub and expect it to be quiet. If you like to live with peace and quiet, buy rural.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 2:12 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

My best wishes go with you...there is no worse thing than noise pollution especially created deliberately with disregard to other humans. Have you tried inviting all of your local dignitaries round to listen to your problem? i.e the noise being generated..suppose you have. Keep trying and stress to the NZ Immigration Authorities what an adverse effect your problem is having on future NZ hopefuls. The one thing that worries me about NZ build properties is not heat insulation but sound insulation......cold I can live with quiet I could kill for. Best of luck and worse scenario get a pair of moulded earplugs made...consult an audiologist expert with your need.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
Tip here, don't buy a house next to a pub and expect it to be quiet. If you like to live with peace and quiet, buy rural.
That's helpful aye? You are all heart. Have a nice day won't you.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:06 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

You're a deck.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:16 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Liquor Licensing Sergeant at the Nelson Police
Telephone: +64 3 546 3840

Nelson District Licensing Agency (DLA)
Telephone: +64 3 546 0346

Environmental Inspections
Telephone: +64 3 546 0381

You might have already contacted the above but if not, might be worthwhile?

The license holder has a responsibility to serve alcohol responsibly.

I can totally understand about the police not being available at that time of night, we have similar where we but the council are supposed to have a 24-hour phone line for environment issues such as noise control. The police can attend and assess and turn off or remove equipment and I believe they can affect the license holder. Contact the DLA and the LLS at Nelson police and voice your concerns to them. Keep a diary. You may have to be very persistent. The ultimate if the council/police fail to do anything, is to go to the environment court.

I would not advocate moving house - why should you leave a house you love in an area you love?! There are systems in place for dealing with the problem but I fully sympathise with you Bevs - you shouldn't have to be put to all the time and trouble and sleepless nights to deal with it. Get neighbours onboard and local MP and take a stand. Wish I could be there in person to help support you.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

We had these problems in London, we sent them notes and knocked on the door a lot, council did not do much either.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t even start me on Neighbours ……….. grrrrrrrrr :curse: we have one over the back that lets his kids use quad bikes to race up and down the road, and when I told them I had a 4 year old the wanky kids sit outside her bed room and rev up the bikes, they also cut through a new house that is being built and use our shared driveway as a short cut, we are in a cul de sac, have tried the cops to no avail, have tried the council to no avail, the father of them thinks he owns the place and is as arrogant as they come.

I honestly stress about going home at night if it’s a sunny night knowing they will be out on the bikes till up to 10pm, it really pisses me off big time :curse::curse::curse:
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I would contact Citizens Advice. There should be a branch in Nelson. They offer free council and will give you loads of support.
Definitely keep a record of all correspondence / meetings between yourselves and landlords of pub.
It might be worthwhile contacting a lawyer, they will sometimes advise over the phone for free.
Who is your local MP ? I would be making a point of seeing him/her too.

Alanmacc, you could try all of the above too, if you feel your daughters safety is at risk due to your neighbours dangerous and illegal driving , you need to go back to the police and lodge a complaint in writing.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I agree. We wanted a quiet place to live so picked a quiet area, on a quiet back section, with quiet neighbours in a quiet village. We visited our house several times before buying it. Day, evenings and weekends. We met with the neighbours.
We've been in this village for over 5 years and in this house for 3 years. So you see my friend , we had already thought of and put into practice your practical tip.

The pub only arrived this year. It's not next door or even in our road. It's over the next door paddock and in a road below us .
Before that the place was a rather good restaurant.
The amount of live music has gradually increased and with that the later nights and the volume.
One band even brought their own sound equipment & engineer .

Thanks for all these answers. I'll have a good read later on & form 'A Plan'.
My head was mush before we went away for a couple of days and I wasn't particularly looking forward to coming back because I know that we have to continue to deal with this unwanted nuisance. I'll admit, I have considered moving .
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:19 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid question and one thats probably already been asked but don't you need a live music licence in NZ? I think you do in the UK and there are srict limits about the noise you make.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:32 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be warned . RANT

Pubs...terrible fire risk apparently. You should probably warn them...
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear this Bevs there is nothing worse than noise when you are trying to sleep.

If all else fails buy a HUGE boogie box, find out where the landlord lives and crank it up outside his bedrom window whenever there is noise at the pub, see how he likes it, maybe the Prodigy CD I AM THE FIRESTARTER
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:22 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Although you have no guarantees you won't find boyracers doing doughnuts at the end of your track or that the bellowing cows won't drive you insane at certain times of the year ...

Tip here, smugness when you've done nothing to be proud of is unattractive, whether you live in the country or behind a pub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.