British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/omg-british-girl-murdered-whv-506909/)

bcworld Jan 18th 2008 12:54 pm

Re: OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5805382)
Excellent post, I agree with that completely. I think before we left for NZ we only wanted to see half the story too because I don't remember having any concerns about crime being a problem in NZ. Like many people I thought it was a just safe, green country where my kids would be safe. The world's last safe haven.

I've just been reading some more about the beating of that couple in Milford and found it truely shocking, made me feel sick to read the details. http://www.stuff.co.nz/4360679a11.html what on earth is happening to the place?! :(

So as someone asked you before, how does it compare to where you live now? Do you think you view that place with both eyes open?

Nerine Jan 18th 2008 1:09 pm

We've been coming to Oz for long enough to come with our eyes wide open & see it with warts and all .....but we still came. The difference with Oz though is that it doesn't present itself as being something that it isn't.

But, the point that was being made is that NZ isn't being totally truthful when it presents itself as being a safe place to live/holiday/raise kids. And, because of this people are less "street savvy" than they need to be and let their guard down, often with tragic consequences.

Margaret Parkinson Jan 18th 2008 6:25 pm

Does the punishment fit the crime in New Zealand. It does not appear to do so in the UK. A case this week where yobs have kicked a husband & father to death and one of the culprits already out on bail for another serious crime.

Lexylou Jan 18th 2008 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson (Post 5806780)
Does the punishment fit the crime in New Zealand. It does not appear to do so in the UK. A case this week where yobs have kicked a husband & father to death and one of the culprits already out on bail for another serious crime.

similar government styles, I don't think they are any tougher from what my OH tells me. That case of that father being killed is awful. I cried when i read it. There is only one punishment I would give those young animals, but then I am quite hard line on this sort of thing.

carriem41 Jan 18th 2008 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5802383)
This is the silliest post i have ever read on BritExpats. Not a single one of my NZ relatives even has a door lock on their houses ! South Africa it is NOT!
And don't even get me started about false "Domestic Abuse" allegations by women , i have had personal experience, as have thousands of NZ fathers

silly silly silly

So the many cases i deal with involving domestic abuse and child abuse and not to mention violent crime...they all attend because the are "silly silly silly"?
To come here and think its all roses is blinkered, uninformed, ill researched and "silly silly silly". Did i mention domestic abuse specific to women..no it is not, male abuse, elder abuse, child abuse exists everywhere but unfortuantly the figures are very high for NZ....perhaps you need to do some more research or be aware of some of the things driving the current political agenda and change in services.
Just because you and your relatives have not been directly involved does not mean it doesnt exist. You are lucky to have not been affected, I work with many South Africans and I am fully aware that it is not South Africa.

irnbru14 Jan 18th 2008 7:58 pm

Must admit I'm slightly appalled the direction some of this thread has taken, especially away from the original issue. I haven't really been witness to any violence or crime in my short time here, I know a few folks who have had minor run ins, but thats part and parcel of any city life I guess.

But, speaking to my friend back in Orkney, turns out she was a good friend of the murdered girl, and I'd just like to turn this thread around a bit to remember that someone has been murdered, someone who actually loved this country and chose to be here, like most of us, and that a family and her friends on the other side of the world is grieving right now...and confused and angry and every other helpless emotion that you go through.

I just hope they do catch the b*******, not that it will do a lot of good for Karen now

Batty Jan 18th 2008 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5807128)
Must admit I'm slightly appalled the direction some of this thread has taken, especially away from the original issue. I haven't really been witness to any violence or crime in my short time here, I know a few folks who have had minor run ins, but thats part and parcel of any city life I guess.

But, speaking to my friend back in Orkney, turns out she was a good friend of the murdered girl, and I'd just like to turn this thread around a bit to remember that someone has been murdered, someone who actually loved this country and chose to be here, like most of us, and that a family and her friends on the other side of the world is grieving right now...and confused and angry and every other helpless emotion that you go through.

I just hope they do catch the b*******, not that it will do a lot of good for Karen now

Agreed. It's horrible, and my sympathies to you and your friend.

irnbru14 Jan 18th 2008 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 5807152)
Agreed. It's horrible, and my sympathies to you and your friend.

I didn't know the girl, but my mate is so upset and has been friends from school and she says Orkney is just in shock....

carriem41 Jan 18th 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by krestsaf (Post 5800554)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10487281

is it like this everywhere?

put me off a little

is the crime rate like the UK, full of asbo hoodies!! :ohmy:

to those of you who think this thread is diverting from the horrific murder of that poor girl....this was the original question

Margaret Parkinson Jan 18th 2008 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by carriem41 (Post 5807570)
to those of you who think this thread is diverting from the horrific murder of that poor girl....this was the original question

As you can see I live in the UK near Manchester, Bolton, Wigan and would not venture to any one of them in the evening. Even my home town although only small has loads of yobos. Our daughter and family live in Papapmoa Bay of Plenty we visited them for a month last year touring parts of the North & South Islands. We saw nothing like we see here. No gangs of youths (girls & boys) congregating on street corners using foul language with no respect for themselves or anyone else for that matter. They also wear their ASBOS as a badge of honour. So in my opinion I don't think the problem is as bad in NZ

garryhg Jan 18th 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson (Post 5807741)
As you can see I live in the UK near Manchester, Bolton, Wigan and would not venture to any one of them in the evening. Even my home town although only small has loads of yobos. Our daughter and family live in Papapmoa Bay of Plenty we visited them for a month last year touring parts of the North & South Islands. We saw nothing like we see here. No gangs of youths (girls & boys) congregating on street corners using foul language with no respect for themselves or anyone else for that matter. They also wear their ASBOS as a badge of honour. So in my opinion I don't think the problem is as bad in NZ

no they don't hang about street corners here,thats because they are allowed to drive at 15:huh:
they are all zooming about in there cars like bloody idiots:mad:....jacky

happynz Jan 19th 2008 12:17 am

I had to google ASBO. :o

Per capita I think there are just as many toe-rags here as in the UK.

dreamfish Jan 19th 2008 5:00 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5808194)
I had to google ASBO. :o

Per capita I think there are just as many toe-rags here as in the UK.

why dont we round them up and ship them over to Oz..........

Nerine Jan 19th 2008 5:15 am

I think Oz has beaten you to the draw on that one, it's started shipping them back to where they came from.

pioneer7 Jan 19th 2008 5:23 am

Sad as it is its a one off in the grand scale of things. Compared to the UK New Zealand is paradise just a bit nieve. Look you got a bunch of trouble makers still all hang around in gangs, the Mongrel Mob springs to mind but its in the culture. You keep ot there way they keep out of yours biggest problem is drug abuse but hey thats everywhere.
As a backpacker on a WHV you must keep your guard up but they dont and a 230am in the morning after a few beers in Taupo well theres a lot of idiots around drunk or drug induced. She was just in the wrong place wrong time could have been anyone just happened to be a Scottish lass.
This week in Taupo is madness!