British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/omg-british-girl-murdered-whv-506909/)

krestsaf Jan 17th 2008 2:02 pm

OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10487281

is it like this everywhere?

put me off a little

is the crime rate like the UK, full of asbo hoodies!! :ohmy:

Issie Jan 17th 2008 2:09 pm

Re: OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV

Originally Posted by krestsaf (Post 5800554)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10487281

is it like this everywhere?

put me off a little

is the crime rate like the UK, full of asbo hoodies!! :ohmy:

It happens all over the world unfortunatley....

Boopy Jan 17th 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Issie (Post 5800590)
It happens all over the world unfortunatley....

....and you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Crime isn't on the scale that we see it in UK, mainly cos the population isn't as high.

Lexylou Jan 17th 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 5801909)
....and you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Crime isn't on the scale that we see it in UK, mainly cos the population isn't as high.

no that is very true but it is per population about the same, particularly in some areas.

Anyone moving from the UK to anywhere in the world cannot expect to go to a place that is crime free. Sadly that place does not exist. I wish it did. I would move there in a flash.

UKNZAUS Jan 17th 2008 7:40 pm

This poor girl :( you can't let your guard down anywhere though, it's a sad fact.

Lexylou Jan 17th 2008 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 5801945)
This poor girl :( you can't let your guard down anywhere though, it's a sad fact.

that is so true.... such a sad fact of life but life it is. It is not getting any worse or any better, it has always been around. It is just part of life I think, no matter where you live. Even in my Bonnie Scotland !! Yes even in Scotland!! (prob more here than anywhere!.... )

carriem41 Jan 17th 2008 8:20 pm

True that where ever you go in the world there is good and there is bad. Unfortunatly NZ has its fair share of the bad....one of the worlds highest violent crime records, increasing domestic abuse and non accidental injury.
Difference unlike the UK is it doesnt feel on your doorstep.

Nerine Jan 17th 2008 9:02 pm

Poor girl, I really feel for her family :(

Crime is quite bad in NZ, the incidence of violent crime is high considering the relatively low population.

brussels_sprout Jan 17th 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by carriem41 (Post 5802071)
True that where ever you go in the world there is good and there is bad. Unfortunatly NZ has its fair share of the bad....one of the worlds highest violent crime records, increasing domestic abuse and non accidental injury.
Difference unlike the UK is it doesnt feel on your doorstep.

This is the silliest post i have ever read on BritExpats. Not a single one of my NZ relatives even has a door lock on their houses ! South Africa it is NOT!
And don't even get me started about false "Domestic Abuse" allegations by women , i have had personal experience, as have thousands of NZ fathers

silly silly silly

Zigzag Jan 17th 2008 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5802230)
Poor girl, I really feel for her family :(

Crime is quite bad in NZ, the incidence of violent crime is high considering the relatively low population.

I understood that the crime statistics were mainly because of gang related crime, and not that random tourists were getting murdered on a daily basis.

I think compared to places like the uk, the crime levels and extensiveness(is that a real word? don't think so!?) are low...

Not to belittle in anyway what has happened to this poor woman, because it is absolutely awful, but it is just wrong place wrong time, but i hope the NZ police are able to find out what happened and severly punish whoever is responsible. Do they have corporal punishment over there?!

My thoughts are with her family who are miles away in Orkney. it must be devastating to be that far away when something like this happens.

dreamfish Jan 17th 2008 10:39 pm

i landed 8th december and live in wellington, and so far its been quiet on the crime front.

the only crime i have witnessed is a car window smashed in.

i have heard of two murders in other parts of the country and one attempted rape. Oh and one shark attack on a dinghy. And another shark tailgating a kayak.

Had I reported on a similar period in the fenland village of 6000 people i lived in whilst in UK, i would have reported stolen petrol, smashed up cars, at least 3 break ins in our road, a mugging, vandalism to homes, an attempted arson on the primary school and gang related crime.

These kinda statistics were good, or within acceptable rates, in our county. In fact we were in one of the more desirable areas. We only had one reported rape in 12 months.

I have checked back on the BBC news website, and every week (in england alone) there has been several murders, stabbings, rapes, abducted children, arson attacks, and now escaped murderers!

I dont believe i am sat here wearing tinted glasses. I am fully aware that things go on behind closed doors, and crimes arent always reported, smaller populations here etc etc.

I jsut think I would have to call anyone who thinks that no one will ever get murdered in NZ, really stupid. Go and do your research!

Would you have made the same fuss and posted on this forum had it been a kiwi that was murdered?

happynz Jan 17th 2008 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5802660)
I just think I would have to call anyone who thinks that no one will ever get murdered in NZ, really stupid. Go and do your research!

Would you have made the same fuss and posted on this forum had it been a kiwi that was murdered?

Excellent points.

helinuk Jan 17th 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5802693)
Excellent points.

yes we are made very aware of many crimes committed here in BOP because the local paper has very little to write about LOL.
The main crimes reported here are driving related, no licence, drunk drivers, speeding etc. but we do have murders, theft, violence, hoons. We were aware of this before we came.
I'm not an expert on this subject this is just IMHO.:)

Yotty Jan 17th 2008 11:44 pm

Errr... have you got any facts to back that up Nerine?

StokieDoug Jan 18th 2008 12:11 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5802660)
i landed 8th december and live in wellington, and so far its been quiet on the crime front.

the only crime i have witnessed is a car window smashed in.

i have heard of two murders in other parts of the country and one attempted rape. Oh and one shark attack on a dinghy. And another shark tailgating a kayak.

Had I reported on a similar period in the fenland village of 6000 people i lived in whilst in UK, i would have reported stolen petrol, smashed up cars, at least 3 break ins in our road, a mugging, vandalism to homes, an attempted arson on the primary school and gang related crime.

These kinda statistics were good, or within acceptable rates, in our county. In fact we were in one of the more desirable areas. We only had one reported rape in 12 months.

I have checked back on the BBC news website, and every week (in england alone) there has been several murders, stabbings, rapes, abducted children, arson attacks, and now escaped murderers!

I dont believe i am sat here wearing tinted glasses. I am fully aware that things go on behind closed doors, and crimes arent always reported, smaller populations here etc etc.

I jsut think I would have to call anyone who thinks that no one will ever get murdered in NZ, really stupid. Go and do your research!

I've done a bit of research on the Internet and the murder stats are:
NZ - 0.01111524 murders per 1,000 people
UK - 0.0140633 murders per 1,000 people (so about 25% higher than NZ)

Before everyone packs their bags and moves over to utopia, road fatality stats are:
NZ - 0.107 fatalities per 1,000 people
UK - 0.056 fatalities per 1,000 people (so about 50% lower than NZ)

So to conclude all this shit swings in roundabouts as your 10 times more likely to be killed on the roads as you asr getting murdered!!

I know what I'm more concerned about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!