British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/omg-british-girl-murdered-whv-506909/)

krestsaf Jan 17th 2008 2:02 pm

OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10487281

is it like this everywhere?

put me off a little

is the crime rate like the UK, full of asbo hoodies!! :ohmy:

Issie Jan 17th 2008 2:09 pm

Re: OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV

Originally Posted by krestsaf (Post 5800554)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10487281

is it like this everywhere?

put me off a little

is the crime rate like the UK, full of asbo hoodies!! :ohmy:

It happens all over the world unfortunatley....

Boopy Jan 17th 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Issie (Post 5800590)
It happens all over the world unfortunatley....

....and you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Crime isn't on the scale that we see it in UK, mainly cos the population isn't as high.

Lexylou Jan 17th 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 5801909)
....and you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Crime isn't on the scale that we see it in UK, mainly cos the population isn't as high.

no that is very true but it is per population about the same, particularly in some areas.

Anyone moving from the UK to anywhere in the world cannot expect to go to a place that is crime free. Sadly that place does not exist. I wish it did. I would move there in a flash.

UKNZAUS Jan 17th 2008 7:40 pm

This poor girl :( you can't let your guard down anywhere though, it's a sad fact.

Lexylou Jan 17th 2008 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 5801945)
This poor girl :( you can't let your guard down anywhere though, it's a sad fact.

that is so true.... such a sad fact of life but life it is. It is not getting any worse or any better, it has always been around. It is just part of life I think, no matter where you live. Even in my Bonnie Scotland !! Yes even in Scotland!! (prob more here than anywhere!.... )

carriem41 Jan 17th 2008 8:20 pm

True that where ever you go in the world there is good and there is bad. Unfortunatly NZ has its fair share of the bad....one of the worlds highest violent crime records, increasing domestic abuse and non accidental injury.
Difference unlike the UK is it doesnt feel on your doorstep.

Nerine Jan 17th 2008 9:02 pm

Poor girl, I really feel for her family :(

Crime is quite bad in NZ, the incidence of violent crime is high considering the relatively low population.

brussels_sprout Jan 17th 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by carriem41 (Post 5802071)
True that where ever you go in the world there is good and there is bad. Unfortunatly NZ has its fair share of the bad....one of the worlds highest violent crime records, increasing domestic abuse and non accidental injury.
Difference unlike the UK is it doesnt feel on your doorstep.

This is the silliest post i have ever read on BritExpats. Not a single one of my NZ relatives even has a door lock on their houses ! South Africa it is NOT!
And don't even get me started about false "Domestic Abuse" allegations by women , i have had personal experience, as have thousands of NZ fathers

silly silly silly

Zigzag Jan 17th 2008 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5802230)
Poor girl, I really feel for her family :(

Crime is quite bad in NZ, the incidence of violent crime is high considering the relatively low population.

I understood that the crime statistics were mainly because of gang related crime, and not that random tourists were getting murdered on a daily basis.

I think compared to places like the uk, the crime levels and extensiveness(is that a real word? don't think so!?) are low...

Not to belittle in anyway what has happened to this poor woman, because it is absolutely awful, but it is just wrong place wrong time, but i hope the NZ police are able to find out what happened and severly punish whoever is responsible. Do they have corporal punishment over there?!

My thoughts are with her family who are miles away in Orkney. it must be devastating to be that far away when something like this happens.

dreamfish Jan 17th 2008 10:39 pm

i landed 8th december and live in wellington, and so far its been quiet on the crime front.

the only crime i have witnessed is a car window smashed in.

i have heard of two murders in other parts of the country and one attempted rape. Oh and one shark attack on a dinghy. And another shark tailgating a kayak.

Had I reported on a similar period in the fenland village of 6000 people i lived in whilst in UK, i would have reported stolen petrol, smashed up cars, at least 3 break ins in our road, a mugging, vandalism to homes, an attempted arson on the primary school and gang related crime.

These kinda statistics were good, or within acceptable rates, in our county. In fact we were in one of the more desirable areas. We only had one reported rape in 12 months.

I have checked back on the BBC news website, and every week (in england alone) there has been several murders, stabbings, rapes, abducted children, arson attacks, and now escaped murderers!

I dont believe i am sat here wearing tinted glasses. I am fully aware that things go on behind closed doors, and crimes arent always reported, smaller populations here etc etc.

I jsut think I would have to call anyone who thinks that no one will ever get murdered in NZ, really stupid. Go and do your research!

Would you have made the same fuss and posted on this forum had it been a kiwi that was murdered?

happynz Jan 17th 2008 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5802660)
I just think I would have to call anyone who thinks that no one will ever get murdered in NZ, really stupid. Go and do your research!

Would you have made the same fuss and posted on this forum had it been a kiwi that was murdered?

Excellent points.

helinuk Jan 17th 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5802693)
Excellent points.

yes we are made very aware of many crimes committed here in BOP because the local paper has very little to write about LOL.
The main crimes reported here are driving related, no licence, drunk drivers, speeding etc. but we do have murders, theft, violence, hoons. We were aware of this before we came.
I'm not an expert on this subject this is just IMHO.:)

Yotty Jan 17th 2008 11:44 pm

Errr... have you got any facts to back that up Nerine?

StokieDoug Jan 18th 2008 12:11 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5802660)
i landed 8th december and live in wellington, and so far its been quiet on the crime front.

the only crime i have witnessed is a car window smashed in.

i have heard of two murders in other parts of the country and one attempted rape. Oh and one shark attack on a dinghy. And another shark tailgating a kayak.

Had I reported on a similar period in the fenland village of 6000 people i lived in whilst in UK, i would have reported stolen petrol, smashed up cars, at least 3 break ins in our road, a mugging, vandalism to homes, an attempted arson on the primary school and gang related crime.

These kinda statistics were good, or within acceptable rates, in our county. In fact we were in one of the more desirable areas. We only had one reported rape in 12 months.

I have checked back on the BBC news website, and every week (in england alone) there has been several murders, stabbings, rapes, abducted children, arson attacks, and now escaped murderers!

I dont believe i am sat here wearing tinted glasses. I am fully aware that things go on behind closed doors, and crimes arent always reported, smaller populations here etc etc.

I jsut think I would have to call anyone who thinks that no one will ever get murdered in NZ, really stupid. Go and do your research!

I've done a bit of research on the Internet and the murder stats are:
NZ - 0.01111524 murders per 1,000 people
UK - 0.0140633 murders per 1,000 people (so about 25% higher than NZ)

Before everyone packs their bags and moves over to utopia, road fatality stats are:
NZ - 0.107 fatalities per 1,000 people
UK - 0.056 fatalities per 1,000 people (so about 50% lower than NZ)

So to conclude all this shit swings in roundabouts as your 10 times more likely to be killed on the roads as you asr getting murdered!!

I know what I'm more concerned about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brussels_sprout Jan 18th 2008 12:14 am

Originally Posted by StokieDoug (Post 5802942)
I've done a bit of research on the Internet and the murder stats are:
NZ - 0.01111524 murders per 1,000 people
UK - 0.0140633 murders per 1,000 people (so about 25% higher than NZ)

Before everyone packs their bags and moves over to utopia, road fatality stats are:
NZ - 0.0107 fatalities per 1,000 people
UK - 0.0056 fatalities per 1,000 people (so about 50% lower than NZ)

So to conclude all this shit swings in roundabouts!!

The majority of murders in the UK are in Scotland , so the rate of murder in England is much less than in NZ !

teambwr47 Jan 18th 2008 2:38 am

Ah wonderful.......we're back on crime and road death figures with all the stats again.............:zzz:

This topic regularly seems to be one where all those who either can't decide to be here, don't want to be here, are thinking of going back to the UK or are just finding a reason to not like NZ chime in............:blink:

Its like many relish the chance to compare the minute difference between whether you could be murdered or killed here or there...........?

If you get killed or murdered will you be happier if it happens in NZ, the UK or somewhere else?

Where there are people there is nearly always crime and murders..........

Where people drive cars they often drive them badly and kill themselves and others.............

Its a fact that whether you choose the UK, OZ, NZ or anywhere the worst can happen........

UKNZAUS Jan 18th 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5803289)
This topic regularly seems to be one where all those who either can't decide to be here, don't want to be here, are thinking of going back to the UK or are just finding a reason to not like NZ chime in

Ahem :huh: I'm going nowhere! I love it here :lol:

teambwr47 Jan 18th 2008 2:55 am

Not read all the replies and actually thinking about it, contradicted myself in the text of the above reply as we're not going anywhere either.....:rofl::rofl:

Currently we're recruiting new residents to join us via my wifes work.......:D

Completely love the place so far despite it having virtually exactly the same social problems that nearly every other developed country has.:wub:

garryhg Jan 18th 2008 5:34 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5802953)
The majority of murders in the UK are in Scotland , so the rate of murder in England is much less than in NZ !

think you might like to check out your info about that one...118 murders in scotland 2006-2007.....

can't seem to find exact numbers for England,but just a hunch here,think it might be a tad more than scotland....:blink:....jacky.....

not that i am accusing English of being a bad lot,just thinking about population size compared to scotland.....jacky

bcworld Jan 18th 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 5803843)
think you might like to check out your info about that one...118 murders in scotland 2006-2007.....

can't seem to find exact numbers for England,but just a hunch here,think it might be a tad more than scotland....:blink:....jacky.....

not that i am accusing English of being a bad lot,just thinking about population size compared to scotland.....jacky

England will have 'the majority' of murders in the UK however the murder rate in Scotland is very high, approx 3 times higher than England & Wales.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...578388,00.html

This would support the argument that the English murder rate is lower than NZ but Scotland much higher.

garryhg Jan 18th 2008 6:02 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5803872)
England will have 'the majority' of murders in the UK however the murder rate in Scotland is very high, approx 3 times higher than England & Wales.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...578388,00.html

This would support the argument that the English murder rate is lower than NZ but Scotland much higher.

i realise what you are saying about per population,but thats not the way i read this post,i was just looking at the numbers....which would make you feel England has the greater amount of murders....

i know scotland (especially in the inner cities)has a real problem with drugs.......

as to the scottish girl that was murdered,tragic,and feel for her family....
but can't tell you how many foreign tourist you hear about back in the UK that have been murdered in the past few years...wouldn't walk the streets in any country alone in the wee small hours....:( no matter how safe some people think NZ is,....jacky

BEVS Jan 18th 2008 7:12 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5803289)
Its a fact that whether you choose the UK, OZ, NZ or anywhere the worst can happen........

I agree.

My sympathy and condolences to the family of the murdered girl . A terrible ,horrible & needless tragedy.

Boopy Jan 18th 2008 7:16 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5802383)
This is the silliest post i have ever read on BritExpats. Not a single one of my NZ relatives even has a door lock on their houses ! South Africa it is NOT!
And don't even get me started about false "Domestic Abuse" allegations by women , i have had personal experience, as have thousands of NZ fathers

silly silly silly

Carrie is a very experienced nurse at ED in Wellington and I know she's witnessed much first hand.

Lexylou Jan 18th 2008 8:00 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5802383)

silly silly silly

who ever said it was SA????
and not all domestic abuse cases in NZ are just allegations. You have to be careful discounting real cases like that in a sweeping statement. There are some terrible cases out there and I actually did some work with a womans home/safe house so I do know what I am talking about here, I know a lot of woman (and children) would not thank you for that comment. This isnt just in NZ, this happens in all countries but to make a comment making out that the claims are false is actually terrible. I have met a woman who was kicked so badly while 6 months pregnant by her husband (in front of her 3 year old) that she gave birth to her dead baby right there at then. She will never be able to have more children, she is mentally damaged as is her 3 year old. So would you like to 'get started' on her?

Boopy Jan 18th 2008 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Lexylou (Post 5804172)
who ever said it was SA????
and not all domestic abuse cases in NZ are just allegations. You have to be careful discounting real cases like that in a sweeping statement. There are some terrible cases out there and I actually did some work with a womans home/safe house so I do know what I am talking about here, I know a lot of woman (and children) would not thank you for that comment. This isnt just in NZ, this happens in all countries but to make a comment making out that the claims are false is actually terrible. I have met a woman who was kicked so badly while 6 months pregnant by her husband (in front of her 3 year old) that she gave birth to her dead baby right there at then. She will never be able to have more children, she is mentally damaged as is her 3 year old. So would you like to 'get started' on her?

He's obviously very bitter about an awful experience, but therefore should know better than to tar everyone with the same brush.

teambwr47 Jan 18th 2008 9:19 am

Yep that's terrible for sure......... and there's always a headline, awful case to try and swing the view firmly to one side.

On the other hand i bet i could count literally in the 100's the number of times when i was a police officer that we got called by a wife or girlfriend to a domestic incident/assault where the male got arrested and then not very long after, the complaint would get dropped and male taken back with the response from wife/girlfriend 'well i love him don't I', 'he won't do it again' (this could often be on the 5th,6th,7th etc etc time.)

Domestic violence is not right at all and if it happens the perptrator, male or female, should be prosecuted to the best of the law but........ many women need to wake up to reality.

As said you can't tar everyone with the same brush and the poster above has a personal experience that i doubt many will have had.

I have seen an awful lot of unfair treatment for the male in the situation who is by many seen automatically at fault which is not always the case.

Knowing the percentage female make up of many 'domestic and family' units in the police force (in the UK) and hearing some of the views of the somewhat overly femine biased officers on those units, i've plenty of sympathy with 'brussels sprout' in hearing the way he seems to have been treated.

dreamfish Jan 18th 2008 9:32 am

can we make this a more balance argument if you wanna talk about domestic violence - that majority male victims suffer in silence because it is not considered manly enough to admit their girlfriend or wife is being violent towards them.
i reckon many more men suffer in silence than women.

Batty Jan 18th 2008 9:52 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5804414)
Yep that's terrible for sure......... and there's always a headline, awful case to try and swing the view firmly to one side.

On the other hand i bet i could count literally in the 100's the number of times when i was a police officer that we got called by a wife or girlfriend to a domestic incident/assault where the male got arrested and then not very long after, the complaint would get dropped and male taken back with the response from wife/girlfriend 'well i love him don't I', 'he won't do it again' (this could often be on the 5th,6th,7th etc etc time.)

Domestic violence is not right at all and if it happens the perptrator, male or female, should be prosecuted to the best of the law but........ many women need to wake up to reality.

As said you can't tar everyone with the same brush and the poster above has a personal experience that i doubt many will have had.

I have seen an awful lot of unfair treatment for the male in the situation who is by many seen automatically at fault which is not always the case.

Knowing the percentage female make up of many 'domestic and family' units in the police force (in the UK) and hearing some of the views of the somewhat overly femine biased officers on those units, i've plenty of sympathy with 'brussels sprout' in hearing the way he seems to have been treated.

I don't doubt that some women concoct stories but there are many, many more that are true. Only someone who hasn't been directly affected can say something like "many women need to wake up to reality." If my mother hadn't had the courage to stand up to gossips in a small village and tell me that I could come home I would very probably be dead now. When you've got children there are not a lot of places to go for sanctuary if you don't have a supportive family. I was almost killed but I didn't go around blaming ALL men. I happened to be married to a shit - that didn't mean that every man was the same and in fact I campaigned for single fathers to have the same level of social welfare payments as those enjoyed by single mothers.

Dumping crap on every member of the opposite sex gets nobody anywhere - it happened, move on.

Oh and on the subject of that young girl's murder - you can't get away from it. Anyone who thinks you can is living in cloud cuckoo land but we're a westernised nation and have to put up with all that that entails. :blink:

garryhg Jan 18th 2008 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 5804501)
I don't doubt that some women concoct stories but there are many, many more that are true. Only someone who hasn't been directly affected can say something like "many women need to wake up to reality." If my mother hadn't had the courage to stand up to gossips in a small village and tell me that I could come home I would very probably be dead now. When you've got children there are not a lot of places to go for sanctuary if you don't have a supportive family. I was almost killed but I didn't go around blaming ALL men. I happened to be married to a shit - that didn't mean that every man was the same and in fact I campaigned for single fathers to have the same level of social welfare payments as those enjoyed by single mothers.

Dumping crap on every member of the opposite sex gets nobody anywhere - it happened, move on.

Oh and on the subject of that young girl's murder - you can't get away from it. Anyone who thinks you can is living in cloud cuckoo land but we're a westernised nation and have to put up with all that that entails. :blink:

WELL SAID:thumbsup:...jacky

Nerine Jan 18th 2008 11:14 am

I think its about time Team NZ got rid of the spin it puts out that it is a safe place to live, raise kids etc. Sure some areas of the nation are safer than others, but then most countries in the developed world can make the same claim.

The latest incident concerned a young couple that were bashed whilst walking home in the small hours on the North Shore http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10487479 how do potential immigrants reconcile news such as this to their primary aims for wanting to live in NZ? Do they turn a blind eye?

Gosh......now the Herald is wondering how all this is perceived by the rest of the world, whoooops! can't have outsiders thinking bad of us can we? :p

As usual the people who know put their collective finger on the button very well http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/st...ectid=10487308 beats statistics anyday, interesting comment from Elizabeth from NYC that she felt safer walking round NYC than Hamilton, Wellington or Auckland before making this comment
"Violence is pretty built into our NZ society - it's not a new thing"

Lexylou Jan 18th 2008 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5804887)
I think its about time Team NZ got rid of the spin it puts out that it is a safe place to live, raise kids etc. Sure some areas of the nation are safer than others, but then most countries in the developed world can make the same claim.

The latest incident concerned a young couple that were bashed whilst walking home in the small hours on the North Shore http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10487479 how do potential immigrants reconcile news such as this to their primary aims for wanting to live in NZ? Do they turn a blind eye?

Gosh......now the Herald is wondering how all this is perceived by the rest of the world, whoooops! can't have outsiders thinking bad of us can we? :p

As usual the people who know put their collective finger on the button very well http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/st...ectid=10487308 beats statistics anyday, interesting comment from Elizabeth from NYC that she felt safer walking round NYC than Hamilton, Wellington or Auckland before making this comment
"Violence is pretty built into our NZ society - it's not a new thing"

At last - someone that talks real sense. I have to say I felt more frightened in Chch after midnight city centre (or anywhere the hoons on the roads at anytime) if coming out of a bar/dinner than I ever have in any of the countries i have lived in. Crime is nothing new, violence is not new, and it is certainly rife in NZ as it is everywhere. Why people argue the fact that it is not is crazy. It is a fact of life. Crime is everywhere. People who come to NZ with the promise of better schools and crime free places to live really need to wake up and those that post the very same need to stop misleading people. It isn't fair.

Nerine Jan 18th 2008 11:51 am

You're right it isn't.

Everyone comes to NZ looking for their own little slice of heaven, some are lucky enough to be able live in small communities where everyone's grandparents went to school together and front doors are never locked. But even communities such as these are marred by crime e.g. The foreign newlywed who was raped in her camper van a year or so back, the farmer who was gunned down on his own land, the elderly school teacher beaten to death in her classroom, the list goes on and on.

I think it's extremely dangerous that migrants and many tourists are lured to NZ with tales of how safe it is, it makes them throw away years of common sense and let their guard down. I know because I did it myself - I distinctly remember walking around Albany Warehouse's badly lighted underground car parking thinking "hey chill out, this is NZ, it's safe here" what a blinking idiot :o!

Yotty Jan 18th 2008 11:52 am

How would you describe Oz in terms of crime then Nerine?

bcworld Jan 18th 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 5805095)
How would you describe Oz in terms of crime then Nerine?

Exactly, Oz also has high levels of violent crime. I know that quoting stats on this website is generally not accepted but Oz too has higher levels of violent crime, according to any statistics I can find, than the UK. This is particularly true of violent sexual assualts where Aus seems to lead the list of the largest, developed countries. I find it odd for someone sitting in Aus to be chastising NZ on its crime rate & its reaction to crime.

Lexylou Jan 18th 2008 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5805124)
Exactly, Oz also has high levels of violent crime. I know that quoting stats on this website is generally not accepted but Oz too has higher levels of violent crime, according to any statistics I can find, than the UK. This is particularly true of violent sexual assualts where Aus seems to lead the list of the largest, developed countries. I find it odd for someone sitting in Aus to be chastising NZ on its crime rate & its reaction to crime.

I didnt think this was about Aussie was it? There is a specific site for that. We were discussing NZ and people coming here thinking that there is no crime and people telling them this.

Nerine Jan 18th 2008 12:06 pm

Yet another cynical attempt to derail a thread when the subject gets too close for comfort :p.

Let's get tough on the causes of crime......

http://www.parapundit.com/archives/002531.html

bcworld Jan 18th 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lexylou (Post 5805143)
I didnt think this was about Aussie was it? There is a specific site for that. We were discussing NZ and people coming here thinking that there is no crime and people telling them this.

Well it's being suggested that either the NZ media, or the general population or both is guilty of some kind of cover up here to not to the shine of things for unsuspecting immigrants. I don't think its irrelevant to make a comparison with Aus....if you look at the 'site for that' you'll find plenty of people considering a move there who seem to have a similar rose-tinted view on their prospective life. I don't think either NZ or Aus is guilty of some huge spin job.....more likely that many prospective immigrants have the philosophy that the grass must be greener, 'oh but it can't be as bad as in the UK' etc etc.....that's what they want/need to believe so they do.

Lexylou Jan 18th 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5805168)
Yet another cynical attempt to derail a thread when the subject gets too close for comfort :p.

Let's get tough on the causes of crime......

http://www.parapundit.com/archives/002531.html

oh yes, they love that, divert the attention to a country that might have more crime. Makes them feel better about bending the truth about the real NZ.

bcworld Jan 18th 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Lexylou (Post 5805198)
oh yes, they love that, divert the attention to a country that might have more crime. Makes them feel better about bending the truth about the real NZ.

....so in otherwords NZ bends the truth, and is the only country that does so, if they do massage their crime figures, you don't think other countries do as well??