Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ without a job offer

NZ without a job offer

Old Apr 18th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ without a job offer

Originally Posted by AndyR
The company offered me my job and they weren't accredited.

Thing was though I applied under Long Term Skilled Shortage so they didn't have to justify not employing NZ people for it, just sponsor me for it. But then Immigration phoned me to say I wasn't suitable for LTSSL but was OK for Essential Skills so they moved me to that no problem. Luckily for me though as the company would have had to fill out all the justification part if I did that originally.

But then again the company also has about 90 employees and only 5 of them are kiwi's, the rest are migrants.
this time around i have to go on WTR as my job offer is not on shills list or essential skills although it is a skilled job in construction, when we were there in 07 we applied for EOI and got it then we were invited for ITA but by then we knew we were coming back to uk ,this time they wont accept our EOI
unless we go two year work visa, then have to keep on renewing it the only way i can see is WTR then after two years can get PR
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

tonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rason
Hi

Im coming to NZ in 3 weeks without a job offer. Got very close (last 3) for a job with Fonterra in December last year, was told basically need to be in NZ after 3 months of interviews. So here i am on my way, with a bit of savings and a WHV for a bit of bar work etc to tide me over.

Im a Transport Manager and basically would need sponsoring/job offer to gain WTR.

Has anyone done anything as silly as this I could really do with knowing its not immposible at the minute getting somewhat nervous.

Thanks
Hi, we moved out hear a year ago last week. My husband is a HGV driver and I came in on the back of him. We could only get a Work Visa and at the moment they are only giving out 1 year at a time, so we are filling in the forms as we speek and hoping for a three year one this time. Anyway neither of us had a job and it took my husband 3 months to find work, we dipped into so much of our savings that we can't afford to buy now. I found it hard to find work I have the qualifications as a Chef but need the experience, however no-one is willing to help I have even offored my services for free. I only have a 12 hour week cleaning job and it just makes me feel worthless, when i really can do much more.
I still think this was the right thing for us to do. We never came over hear before and just wanted a different way of life.
The downside is that the hours my husband does is far more than he is used to and the Kiwis think nothing of working 60 hours plus a week. for little pay. anyway good luck with your trip and things will work if you want them to. Sorry I'm not much help though.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently staying with a friend in Bracknell (UK) moving to Tauranga at end of July!!!
Kate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rason
Im landing in Auckland but not restricting myself there just yet. Im lucky in the fact Ive got a very good contact in my industry who has just been working for the NZ government over there and has loads of contacts.

Im going out on WHV and taking it from there! There is a WHV you can get through a website (someone please help with its name) that you can get up to 35 I think it is.

Thanks all for the positive responses, its good to know that companies are willing to sponsor, thats been the biggest hurdle so far companies dont want to offer anything to someone living in the UK which is understandable and 99% wont even entertain you even though my covering letter states that I will be landing in May. To be fair I would probably do the same in their position but I may feel different about it in the future

Hiya,
Fantastic! I'm going in July with no job on a WHV, but my boyfriend is already out there working (and he has residency) - so I'm no where near as brave as you!! I'm intrigued about the WHV up to 35? My boyfriend's cousin wants to come out but is 31 - if you could let me know the website that'd be fab.
Good luck with the move.
Kate
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:46 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate Rayner
I'm intrigued about the WHV up to 35
Silver Fern category, details on the NZIS website - which is the only one that matters for NZ immigration...
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I am ina similiar boat. I am coming over without a job offer, a bit of savings in the hope I can get a job within 3-6 months. I am an electrical engineer, I really hope to find something.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:26 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

I think as said anything is possible but please lets be realistic.

It ALL comes down to what skills you have and if they are skills needed here and by needed I dont mean a rubbish runner but say a sparky,nurse,midwife etc.

If 'on the list' then I'd say by all means come over and give it a try as with effort you will get WTR and alike.

Coming over in this current climate and finding an employer who ISNT accredited who can then get so in order for a person to get a job will IMO be a very lucky break for a non skills list type job.

Certainly anything is possible just like the lottery but the odds are low for 'normal' non list workers.

Read this type of thing so many times over the years for me it's a brave move to make and good on you for giving it a good go.Hope it all works out for you.

george