Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ without a job offer

NZ without a job offer

Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default NZ without a job offer

Hi

Im coming to NZ in 3 weeks without a job offer. Got very close (last 3) for a job with Fonterra in December last year, was told basically need to be in NZ after 3 months of interviews. So here i am on my way, with a bit of savings and a WHV for a bit of bar work etc to tide me over.

Im a Transport Manager and basically would need sponsoring/job offer to gain WTR.

Has anyone done anything as silly as this I could really do with knowing its not immposible at the minute getting somewhat nervous.

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all
Default Re: NZ without a job offer

i did the very same thing years ago.

turned up on a WHV.. and had some work within a month as i recall

My wife got her job ( sponsoring) within 3 days of getting here!

So it is very possible... its just a bit "seat of your pants" experience when you arrive in a different country.. with no job.. knowing no one..

liberating though.. when you get through it and realise that you are made of sterner stuff!

good luck with the job search
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Thanks you dont know how much that means at the moment just knowing its possible
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

no worries..

as long as your willing to pick up work where you can.. whilst waiting for your "career" or "sponsoring" job.. you'll be fine.

good luck with the hunting
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:01 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Where in NZ are you heading to ? as this IMO will make a difference, not having to battle hundreds of other people who are unemployed to the same job offer !!

In life any thing is possible, the only thing that will stop you, is yourself !!!

You already have the balls to give it a go, and in NZ you can be whatever you want to be .

Lifes for the taking over here, and you only live once, and now you have the chance to enjoy NZ lifestyle.

Go for it.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick question, to those who went over without a job offer, did you have a WHV or were you too old (so to speak) and went on a holiday visa and then changed it to a WTR - is this possible? as its what we will have to do if we dont get in on the skilled visa bit.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

we had WHV's

but we didnt go to WTR.. we just converted straight to residency.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Done exactly what you are doing and its working out great!

Me and the wife arrived just before christmas on WHV's and started job hunting straight away. Had my 1st interview after xmas (didn't like the place) but found a job within 3 weeks and they were happy to sponsor me. Wife found a job the next week and loves it.

3 year work permit came through 2 weeks after applying for it and hopefully this weekend will be submitting our EOI for Permenant Residance.

Go for it!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Im landing in Auckland but not restricting myself there just yet. Im lucky in the fact Ive got a very good contact in my industry who has just been working for the NZ government over there and has loads of contacts.

Im going out on WHV and taking it from there! There is a WHV you can get through a website (someone please help with its name) that you can get up to 35 I think it is.

Thanks all for the positive responses, its good to know that companies are willing to sponsor, thats been the biggest hurdle so far companies dont want to offer anything to someone living in the UK which is understandable and 99% wont even entertain you even though my covering letter states that I will be landing in May. To be fair I would probably do the same in their position but I may feel different about it in the future
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info on the up to age 35 visa (unfortunately i'm over that too - late starter).

Will probably have to take a trip june/july time and stay for a while and look for a job then, and hopefully find one fairly quickly thats suitable.

Alison
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

ps. Did you trawl your way through the immigration accredited list to find employers who will do WTR? or some other way?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Im not the best qualified to talk about this however this is what I believe to be true from my research/talking to NZ immigration etc

To get WTR for a job thats not on the STS list you have to have a job offer from a company and still meet some of the requirements but the job offers the major sticking point.

The main difference between an accredited employee to a non accredited is that basically they have all ready gone through some of the immigration process or the worst of it anyway. Non accredited have to explain and prove why a foreigner is getting the role, proof of advertising it etc no one suitable for the role.

To be honest ive had no joy from either in the UK. Have you thought about a recruitment company. Cant recommend anyone at the mo ive spoken to two and they seem to talk a good talk but perhaps thats it?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rason
Im not the best qualified to talk about this however this is what I believe to be true from my research/talking to NZ immigration etc

To get WTR for a job thats not on the STS list you have to have a job offer from a company and still meet some of the requirements but the job offers the major sticking point.

The main difference between an accredited employee to a non accredited is that basically they have all ready gone through some of the immigration process or the worst of it anyway. Non accredited have to explain and prove why a foreigner is getting the role, proof of advertising it etc no one suitable for the role.

To be honest ive had no joy from either in the UK. Have you thought about a recruitment company. Cant recommend anyone at the mo ive spoken to two and they seem to talk a good talk but perhaps thats it?
hi no don't think that's quite right,i have been offered a job but they are not accredited, so they are applying to be accredited employers, so i can get WTR as this time around they wont accept my skill so have been refused to apply for PR if i go for a two year work visa you have to renew it every two years with medicals and police check then when you hit retirement age then you have to come back to uk so by going WTR i can apply for PR after two years and as long as i keep out of trouble should get it then if i want to retire there i can
Old Apr 16th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anyone care to clarify?

thanks
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
Anyone care to clarify?

thanks
The company offered me my job and they weren't accredited.

Thing was though I applied under Long Term Skilled Shortage so they didn't have to justify not employing NZ people for it, just sponsor me for it. But then Immigration phoned me to say I wasn't suitable for LTSSL but was OK for Essential Skills so they moved me to that no problem. Luckily for me though as the company would have had to fill out all the justification part if I did that originally.

But then again the company also has about 90 employees and only 5 of them are kiwi's, the rest are migrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.