Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

now to decide to go

now to decide to go

Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: now to decide to go

Originally Posted by simonsi
Speaking frankly I think you need to assess the importance of these working conditions to you, I couldn´t run my life based on such a premise but everyone has their own priorities. Emigrating will push you outside your comfort zone in s many ways that if you are concerned about losing such things then a move to NZ terms and lifestyle probably isn´t for you.

What happens if you are ill for longer? Well first it comes out of holiday, anything above that out of savings or you insure against it yourself. It is more like the American model of self-sufficiency and NOT expecting the employer to provide everything...
Very fair point and one which I totally missed. Maybe they should not come eh? Mr flip-flop strikes again, well it is a woman's perogative to change his mind.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gags
Hi, no he isn't always ill but where he works at the moment he gets full salary paid for up to 3 years in the event of long term illness. Thats alot to let go of I would say.

This 6 days sick per year sounds like a standard thing in NZ. What happens if you are ill for longer? How do you pay the bills?
Seriously stay put....mainly for financial reasons.....especially given the age of your kids. I read somewhere that lifestyle blocks often get sold to Brits at inflated prices (cashed up Poms) and that they are re-selling them again a couple of years later when the reality doesn't quite match the dream.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - the country in NZ is much more remote than in England. Much more difficult to get around. No public transport, public footpaths or even footpaths on the side of the roads and traffic that hurtles by (no fun for kids on bikes)

As for sickness - well what happens is that people get sick pay from the government I guess. I get 10 days but can accumulate up to 60 so it doesn't worry me.

I have some insurance for if I get sick, as does hubby too

If you are injured in an accident, ACC will pay so that's handy.

But I think that you need to understand that the kind of benefits that you have a very rare here.

Why not have a look at rural land in Europe?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:40 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Fair comments by all. I really do appreciate your honesty and we realise the decision is ours and ours alone and we all have our own expectations from life etc.
Our heads say 'dont do it!' but our hearts say 'do it. You only live once!'

UK seems to thrive on doom and gloom and we did notice the very short time we were in NZ, the optimism all around. Refreshing.

We have looked in the UK at the rural parts but work is scarcer than in the South East. It is being stuck between a rock and a hard place I suppose.

But any more scarily honest comments will be warmly received.

Last edited by gags; Sep 21st 2010 at 8:44 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

UK seems to thrive on doom and gloom and we did notice the very short time we were in NZ, the optimism all around. Refreshing.

received.
When were you here last re the above comment? Lots and lots of shit of various hews has hit NZ's fan of late and just now the country is pretty stuffed as a whole as one pundit put it today on the radio. Freaky, freaky weather causing HUGE problems for lambing time when the sheep farming indusrty is already on its knees, huge earthquake, collapsing buildings under the weight of snow, finance companies going to the wall, personal debt totally out of control, mass exodus to Oz, teachers striking, radiograhers too, hospitals running out of cash, housing market collapsing and the list goes on. Presently we are really quite beleagured as a nation. It looks like things will get worse too.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

johneastriggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis
Eh mate, oh for hindsight and its tardy arrival as Charismatic so aptly coined it the other day! We all make big mistakes..I have made some whoppers (one cost us about $80-90k Nz recently..bad kiwi investment) but we have to move on. I will never ever get that wonga back but you could return if you pull the stops out one presumes. Hope you get back here soon if that is your wish. We all do things for diffo reasons. Many ping and pong its all part of life's rich tapestry..don't be too hard on your self mate! She'll be right with time! Your life that is not the wife..I am sure she is dandy as!
Thanks for the advice appreciate it.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Racka Stubbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't expect to come here and live a life of luxury - house prices are fairly like for like except you won't get a solid stone house for your money over here.

If you want to come you will come, i don't think you should sit and compare the 2 lifestyles, i think if you are coming here then you have to embrace the way people live here, some bits are better some are worse.

Sometimes i think we made a mistake even tho all my family is here, but then i walk down to the beach and look around and remember that we are only here once and if you don't do it you'll never kno.

You can disappear up you butt analzying everything but at the end of the day if you want to come - come - if not don't. simple as.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

OH has now been offered employment in the place we wanted to be (South Island Christchurch) and in the work he knows alot about. The salary and some benefits are good compared to what we have seen by NZ standards but are bout £30k less than he is getting here in the uk. It has no Life Insurance, Pension and only 6 days sick leave a year.
Oh my, you would really consider taking a pay cut of GBP 30k + all the trimmings? That's one heck of a lot of dollars.

If you seriously can afford to take that much of a drop, I would think about turning the situation on it head and consider how much more house, land or 'lifestyle' in the UK that would buy you, if you were to invest or increase your borrowing and repaid GBP 20k per year more mortgage.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:27 am

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: now to decide to go (not)

Yes you are all right ofcourse.

So we have made a heart renching decision not to go

We have put in alot of money, effort, and soul into this whole affair but enough is enough.

We do get a good deal here in the UK and with 3 kids that can't be ignored. So we will put our dreams into a more rural way of life in the UK.

I will say that we are so pleased we did visit the South Island and we went over their to embrace NZ the way NZ is, life and people. We have never and never would compare their way of life with UK, but money is money and ya gotta live.

You have all been very nice and very helpful. Good luck to you all with your lives, hopes and dreams
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:54 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: now to decide to go (not)

Yes you are all right ofcourse.

So we have made a heart renching decision not to go

We have put in alot of money, effort, and soul into this whole affair but enough is enough.

We do get a good deal here in the UK and with 3 kids that can't be ignored. So we will put our dreams into a more rural way of life in the UK.

I will say that we are so pleased we did visit the South Island and we went over their to embrace NZ the way NZ is, life and people. We have never and never would compare their way of life with UK, but money is money and ya gotta live.

You have all been very nice and very helpful. Good luck to you all with your lives, hopes and dreams
Well, I think if that is what you have decided then that is the right decision for you, at this time. In all honesty when I was harping on about emigrating here, wild horses wouldn't have kept me away! You have to want it so badly as it can be pretty darn tough.

I wish you the very best of luck in finding your utopia there. If the urge doesn't go away or the dream doesn't come to fruition, New Zealand's not going anywhere!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:33 am

Default Re: now to decide to go (not)

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Well, I think if that is what you have decided then that is the right decision for you, at this time. In all honesty when I was harping on about emigrating here, wild horses wouldn't have kept me away! You have to want it so badly as it can be pretty darn tough.

I wish you the very best of luck in finding your utopia there. If the urge doesn't go away or the dream doesn't come to fruition, New Zealand's not going anywhere!
Many thanks Am Loolah