Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

now to decide to go

now to decide to go

Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:54 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Default now to decide to go

My hubby has a brilliant package here in the UK. If he left his job to move in the UK he would find it hard to beat the one he has at present and his job seems secure.
Here in the uk we have a great 5 bed home in good area with good schools but to buy rural with land (which is our dream) would be impossible. Too expensive and it may never happen.

We want to move to NZ. Have been researching and planning for about 3/4 years now. Have visited Canterbury afew weeks ago just before the earthquack. Our hearts and efforts have been used in this persuit.

Our reasons for moving were and still are we can buy a lifestyle block with no mortgage and live the rural, more relaxed way of life without thinking about close neighbours all the time. Fewer people and more space.

OH has now been offered employment in the place we wanted to be (South Island Christchurch) and in the work he knows alot about. The salary and some benefits are good compared to what we have seen by NZ standards but are bout £30k less than he is getting here in the uk. It has no Life Insurance, Pension and only 6 days sick leave a year.

I suppose what I am looking for is some reasonable advice on what you might do or even have done in our situation.

With 3 kids on tow we are so worried in making the wrong decisions, even though they are up for it.

The comments back from yourselves on this post may help shift us in the right decision.
We have to let the employer know tomorrow.

Whine over
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: now to decide to go

Originally Posted by gags
My hubby has a brilliant package here in the UK. If he left his job to move in the UK he would find it hard to beat the one he has at present and his job seems secure.
Here in the uk we have a great 5 bed home in good area with good schools but to buy rural with land (which is our dream) would be impossible. Too expensive and it may never happen.

We want to move to NZ. Have been researching and planning for about 3/4 years now. Have visited Canterbury afew weeks ago just before the earthquack. Our hearts and efforts have been used in this persuit.

Our reasons for moving were and still are we can buy a lifestyle block with no mortgage and live the rural, more relaxed way of life without thinking about close neighbours all the time. Fewer people and more space.

OH has now been offered employment in the place we wanted to be (South Island Christchurch) and in the work he knows alot about. The salary and some benefits are good compared to what we have seen by NZ standards but are bout £30k less than he is getting here in the uk. It has no Life Insurance, Pension and only 6 days sick leave a year.

I suppose what I am looking for is some reasonable advice on what you might do or even have done in our situation.

With 3 kids on tow we are so worried in making the wrong decisions, even though they are up for it.

The comments back from yourselves on this post may help shift us in the right decision.

Whine over
go for it, you might have trouble selling house, but if you can make mortgage free all the better and if you can drive it will help your partner as well bus,s are good but if your rural, you need a car, we went in 07 came back now have visa to go again but cant sell house, if you don't go later on in life you will all ways wonder what if??
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:19 pm

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by concretepump
go for it, you might have trouble selling house, but if you can make mortgage free all the better and if you can drive it will help your partner as well bus,s are good but if your rural, you need a car, we went in 07 came back now have visa to go again but cant sell house, if you don't go later on in life you will all ways wonder what if??
Thankyou concrete pump, yes we need to sell the house. Its been on 5 weeks now and no takers. Thats a bummer especially with the uncertainty on all the cuts being announced in October by the Government and then Christmas ofcourse. Sort of puts people off buying houses I suppose. So we would have to leave and then rent over there and hope it sells in the meantime cos we'd have the mortgage to keep paying.
Thankyou though for your positivity. I know your right.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I have a lot of the same concerns as you, but something must be making you think about it. If you were happy with the life you have, you wouldn't even be thinking about it.

With us, that something was just thinking "is this it, is this going to be the next 20 years". We wanted an adventure. And when we went to NZ we both missed it when we came back and we didn't feel like that about other places we've been to.

We have sold our house, booked our ticket, told our employers we're off, and you know what....I don't feel scared. I just feel excited now that we've pushed the button. Up to that point it was scary, but I was more scared to stay and carry on as we were. Not unhappy, but really just wanting a bit more out of life than traffic jams, buckfast bottles, rain and Eastenders.

Of course I'm worried that it will not be what we hope it will be - but then again, it could be everything we hope it will be. And my view of life is - no regrets. Something will turn up.

No one can advise you, because no one knows what you want out of life. all I would say is, get on the rollercoaster and enjoy the ride. You'll know if you want stay on or get off.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Thankyou concrete pump, yes we need to sell the house. Its been on 5 weeks now and no takers. Thats a bummer especially with the uncertainty on all the cuts being announced in October by the Government and then Christmas ofcourse. Sort of puts people off buying houses I suppose. So we would have to leave and then rent over there and hope it sells in the meantime cos we'd have the mortgage to keep paying.
Thankyou though for your positivity. I know your right.
on the news you hear, people say not to go out at certain times kiwis talk down to you etc etc, well we can honestly, say we were made more than welcome, by all made a few Maori friends as well as kiwi
you will miss things you will see people on the street you think you know
places you think you have been to before but that will pass

mortgage lending is the lowest its been for ten years, so until first time buyers are able to get a mortgage i cant see things moving
my estate agent said same thing today the market has slowed right down
even if you try it and don't like it at least you will have had a go, and you cant take it with you, good luck
Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Whine over
Why don't you save yourself a lot of heartache and find another job in the UK that pays 30 grand less so that you can live in a rural area and get out of the rat race? you've got the whole of the UK, Ireland and Europe to chose from there's no need to put your family through hell on the other side of the world.

It's not just the drop in salary you're letting yourself in for but poorer working terms and conditions, poorer education standards and less choice in life. Without whanau you're nothing in New Zealand, family and who you are in the structure of things is so important to kiwis.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:38 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiri
Why don't you save yourself a lot of heartache and find another job in the UK that pays 30 grand less so that you can live in a rural area and get out of the rat race? you've got the whole of the UK, Ireland and Europe to chose from there's no need to put your family through hell on the other side of the world.

It's not just the drop in salary you're letting yourself in for but poorer working terms and conditions, poorer education standards and less choice in life. Without whanau you're nothing in New Zealand, family and who you are in the structure of things is so important to kiwis.
tiri........I think the site is New Zealand....not ANTI New Zealand

Last edited by Stormer999; Sep 20th 2010 at 4:41 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:01 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with only 6 sick days a year? Is he often ill?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
What's wrong with only 6 sick days a year? Is he often ill?
Hi, no he isn't always ill but where he works at the moment he gets full salary paid for up to 3 years in the event of long term illness. Thats alot to let go of I would say.

This 6 days sick per year sounds like a standard thing in NZ. What happens if you are ill for longer? How do you pay the bills?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

johneastriggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Whine over
Hi there,we had residency and moved the whole 9 yards out to Dunedin.Had a great job at Otago Uni.To cut a long story short my wife didnt settle and we only gave it 6 months.We got offered our old jobs back in UK so came back to UK.Our PR has now run out.One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made.Stuck here in UK now with uncertainty in my job etc.Should have battled on in NZ but took the easy option.Go for it I say.Good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by johneastriggs
Hi there,we had residency and moved the whole 9 yards out to Dunedin.Had a great job at Otago Uni.To cut a long story short my wife didnt settle and we only gave it 6 months.We got offered our old jobs back in UK so came back to UK.Our PR has now run out.One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made.Stuck here in UK now with uncertainty in my job etc.Should have battled on in NZ but took the easy option.Go for it I say.Good luck.
So sorry to hear that johneastriggs. I hope things will not be as bad as you think.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

johneastriggs is an unknown quantity at this point

So sorry to hear that johneastriggs. I hope things will not be as bad as you think.
Hi there life is OK here but I wished we had gave it longer in NZ.We both work in public sector and it would be ironic if we lost our jobs when thatey were the main reason for coming back in 08.Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiri

Fair comment but the OP seems to have her heart set on NZ and more than likely knows all the pit falls. The mention of more space and less people does it for me. You need to come. NZ can offer that less people thing and more space thing. For some of us lucky enough (and old enough in my case), it can also mean freedom from a mortgage. That amongst other things was a huge draw. We have a much better qulaity of life here in NZ than we ever could have achieved in the UK. Just do it and go for it. You are a long time dead and from some of the comments on the 'God thread' there may not be an after life. It looks like this mortal coil may be pretty much it so do what you can when you can. Live life and go where your heart takes you. He who dares eh?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johneastriggs
Eh mate, oh for hindsight and its tardy arrival as Charismatic so aptly coined it the other day! We all make big mistakes..I have made some whoppers (one cost us about $80-90k Nz recently..bad kiwi investment) but we have to move on. I will never ever get that wonga back but you could return if you pull the stops out one presumes. Hope you get back here soon if that is your wish. We all do things for diffo reasons. Many ping and pong its all part of life's rich tapestry..don't be too hard on your self mate! She'll be right with time! Your life that is not the wife..I am sure she is dandy as!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, no he isn't always ill but where he works at the moment he gets full salary paid for up to 3 years in the event of long term illness. Thats alot to let go of I would say.

This 6 days sick per year sounds like a standard thing in NZ. What happens if you are ill for longer? How do you pay the bills?
Speaking frankly I think you need to assess the importance of these working conditions to you, I couldn´t run my life based on such a premise but everyone has their own priorities. Emigrating will push you outside your comfort zone in s many ways that if you are concerned about losing such things then a move to NZ terms and lifestyle probably isn´t for you.

What happens if you are ill for longer? Well first it comes out of holiday, anything above that out of savings or you insure against it yourself. It is more like the American model of self-sufficiency and NOT expecting the employer to provide everything...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.