Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North Island V's South Island

North Island V's South Island

Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:04 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Island V's South Island

Originally Posted by Maz
What do you mean, if you had your time again? You've not left yet, it takes years to emigrate to Canada. So spend the rest of your time in the SI so you're not so bitter about it all.

"Better quality people". Uh, thanks.
Yes, we're considering that. And it takes 36 months.

I also need to clarify what I meant by better quality people, this is NZ so clearly I am referring to Kiwis. I wanted to mention Beachcombers and wiznton because they are so content in their lives I rarely see them post on here. Reckon that says it all!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:10 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

For me it would be Akaroa but bit isolated, ok drive to Chch though.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:41 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Littletoe
I also need to clarify what I meant by better quality people, this is NZ so clearly I am referring to Kiwis.

Here's a shovel.

You may find it handy while digging yourself a hole.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes, we're considering that. And it takes 36 months.

I also need to clarify what I meant by better quality people, this is NZ so clearly I am referring to Kiwis. I wanted to mention Beachcombers and wiznton because they are so content in their lives I rarely see them post on here. Reckon that says it all!
Reckon it doesn't if you don't mind my saying so.

I post here because I like to try to help folk if I can . I have a little spare time to do that. I'm probably of dubious quality due to age , wear and tear .

SI RULES! Better quality people, beer, scenery, etc. If I had my time again, I would 100% move to the SI.
You get home grown Kiwis on the SI too. Start digging.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:27 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here

I post here because I like to try to help folk if I can . I have a little spare time to do that. I'm probably of dubious quality due to age , wear and tear .

I hardly think moderators count! Isn't this a job? Don't you get paid to be on here?

Don't get it
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by littletoe
I hardly think moderators count! Isn't this a job? Don't you get paid to be on here? I don't get it
Nope. Moderators are not paid. We give our free time.

You said " there is a better quality of people on the SI".
I said " I am of dubious quality" . I am on the South Island and have been for nearly 4 years.

It was also inferred that time spent on a forum meant that the expat/kiwi was somehow a discontented person. Two illustrations were given of users whose lesser time spent on the forum meant they were content.

I stated that my time on the forum is because I like to help people & have a little spare time to do this. It does not mean I am discontented.

You then also said by quality you meant Kiwis which I took to mean as opposed to Expats .

I said start digging because ,as HappyNZ posted, either way you are digging a bit of a hole. You are either trying to state that expats/migrants are not all that good quality people or that Kiwis are not all that good quality people, aren't you?

Have my humble apologies if I have misunderstood a little. I am posting this as me , not as a moderator.

I've been on the South Island for nearly 4 years. We mix with all manner of migrants and kiwis. As is the nature of people, some are happy, some are not at differing times in their lives.It depends what is happening for them and what they want for their lives at a given moment in that life. I actually don't see time spent on BE as a marker for the quality of a persons actual life. It's simply an information highway and a place where one can share if one wants to. Oh ! and a place for debate, a bit of an on-line laugh ,the latest game and not forgetting a bit of a dust-up .
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:09 am
Sweeeeet!

Nope. Moderators are not paid. We give our free time.

You said " there is a better quality of people on the SI".
I said " I am of dubious quality" . I am on the South Island and have been for nearly 4 years.
OK, lucky you!

Originally Posted by BEVS
It was also inferred that time spent on a forum meant that the expat/kiwi was somehow a discontented person. Two illustrations were given of users whose lesser time spent on the forum meant they were content.
Yes, I think that's true, although there are a couple of other examples funnily enough in the NI but I won't name names!

Originally Posted by Bevs
I stated that my time on the forum is because I like to help people & have a little spare time to do this. It does not mean I am discontented.

You then also said by quality you meant Kiwis which I took to mean as opposed to Expats .

I said start digging because ,as HappyNZ posted, either way you are digging a bit of a hole. You are either trying to state that expats/migrants are not all that good quality people or that Kiwis are not all that good quality people, aren't you?
No, I don't think kiwis are that good quality people, nor are a lot of Brith Expats, having travelled extensively, IN MY OPINION, meaning that its according to me, they're not the most awe inspiring people. Even my husband agrees and he is one of them! Fortunately, he's an educated, travelled Kiwi and like Americans, usually the ones like that are the better of the majority. I cannot see many people disputing that unless they're 1, a Kiwi, 2, American or 3, a barely travelled English expat (going to the Costa Del Sol doesn't count!)

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 17th 2008 at 4:41 am. Reason: tidy up the quotes to make for easy reading
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:23 am
Sweeeeet!

I know some people are going to jump all over that last statement. In fact I can almost guess in order who will respond. But I'm not going to be dragged into a debate which will then lead into a Mod shutting down the thread. I've seen it happen so many times before. Obviously its clear to most that we've decided to leave NZ and I have my reasons for that. If anyone would like a list, please PM me. God knows I won't be posting my experiences on the forum for people to get their knickers in a twist.

I can see why people love NZ and I know it has some endearing qualities. When I leave, I won't come on here posting about how crap NZ is. Frankly ,I don't care whether people agree with me or not. FOR ME PERSONALLY it doesn't suit. I've tried it on, doesn't fit with me. Am I bitter? Not really, just annoyed that having spent nearly two years here a few years ago I should have known it wouldn't have changed that much.

This forum usually contains incredibly useful information, and I have made good friends from this site. I would recommend it in a flash. I do think however, some people get so caught up in comments in a forum, everyone wants to 'win' with their opinion which is ridiculous - not too mention impossible.

I can see in some other threads that people want to back me into a corner, I won't be pushed into a pointless titt for tatt.

I bid anyone that is planning to travel to NZ whether it be the North or South, the very, very best experiences. NZ has a lot to offer. If no where else in the world interests you, NZ is the place to be.

If however, you're unsure because there are a few other places that appeal, make sure your decision is well made.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:25 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Nicci - you've stated your case hopefully it will be left at that
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:05 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

I know some people are going to jump all over that last statement. In fact I can almost guess in order who will respond. But I'm not going to be dragged into a debate which will then lead into a Mod shutting down the thread. I've seen it happen so many times before. Obviously its clear to most that we've decided to leave NZ and I have my reasons for that. If anyone would like a list, please PM me. God knows I won't be posting my experiences on the forum for people to get their knickers in a twist.

I can see why people love NZ and I know it has some endearing qualities. When I leave, I won't come on here posting about how crap NZ is. Frankly ,I don't care whether people agree with me or not. FOR ME PERSONALLY it doesn't suit. I've tried it on, doesn't fit with me. Am I bitter? Not really, just annoyed that having spent nearly two years here a few years ago I should have known it wouldn't have changed that much.

This forum usually contains incredibly useful information, and I have made good friends from this site. I would recommend it in a flash. I do think however, some people get so caught up in comments in a forum, everyone wants to 'win' with their opinion which is ridiculous - not too mention impossible.

I can see in some other threads that people want to back me into a corner, I won't be pushed into a pointless titt for tatt.

I bid anyone that is planning to travel to NZ whether it be the North or South, the very, very best experiences. NZ has a lot to offer. If no where else in the world interests you, NZ is the place to be.

If however, you're unsure because there are a few other places that appeal, make sure your decision is well made.
You mean there's other places in the world beside UK and NZ ????
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Yes, there's Utopia....but we're all still searching as to the whereabouts such a place is.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Yes, there's Utopia....but we're all still searching as to the whereabouts such a place is.
Erewhon. In the South Island.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:30 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Erewhon. In the South Island.
Depends how one looks at it, huh?