Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North Island V's South Island

North Island V's South Island

Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:37 am
Just Joined

nahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant future
Default North Island V's South Island

Were in NZ for a recci for 2 Years

At the moment we have been living in the North Island, but we would like to live in South for 1 of the years aswell

What area in the South would you recommend & why? (bearing in mind we both need to have jobs)

Any comments appreciated

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:42 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: North Island V's South Island

What sort of work do you do? I imagine that there are many sorts of opportunities here that are similar to the North Island.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:29 am
Just Joined

nahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant future

i can do admin, office , customer care, sales, retail , etc my boyfriend is multi qualified in engineering, MV repair, Motorcycle technician, cert welder, electrician .
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:19 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Take your pick - obviously Christchurch is the largest city, Nelson and Blenheim the sunniest areas, Central Otago is great fun if a little expensive to live in. Dunedin is cool. Plenty of places to pick from - depends on what you want to experience, what activities you like doing.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:02 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

In and around Queenstown. You can ski in the winter, soon! There's no shortage of short term work and you can wake up to snowy mountains. Bliss. Really anywhere in the SI is worth a visit, depends how you are financially, but I'd be inclined to travel around, stop off in some different towns and do some work for cash.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:20 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd recommend you spend a good amount of time across the ditch too, make sure it's really NZ that you want to live in.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:49 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine View Post
I'd recommend you spend a good amount of time across the ditch too, make sure it's really NZ that you want to live in.
That wasn't the question. Some people (like me) have absolutely zero desire to ever step foot in Oz.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:57 pm

This isn't about you!

Besides which everyone ends up here sooner or later........ (it's not called the West Island for nothing ya know)

Last edited by Nerine; Apr 13th 2008 at 12:00 am.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:24 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Littletoe View Post
In and around Queenstown. You can ski in the winter, soon!
Damn you to hell for making me jealous!!!!! :curse:

I would head to Christchurch if I were you. Lots and lots of jobs, cheap rents, central location so good for exploring. Good cafe culture.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:38 am

Japan has some wonderful skiing, a lot of people here go there - really good powder.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:50 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Japan has some wonderful skiing, a lot of people here go there - really good powder.
I know - I used to live there and skied every winter.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:26 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't about you!
I never said it was. Try re-reading my post. It was simple enough.

Besides which everyone ends up here sooner or later........ (it's not called the West Island for nothing ya know)
They do? Nope you're wrong there. I'm just tired of you wanting to talk constantly about that desert isle in the NZ forum. It's getting really old. *yawn*
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:08 am

So? use the ignore button
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:13 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, stop the sniping.

Lets get back to the original question - the OP is interested in parts of the South Island, NZ, which seems fairly self-explanatory to me, so lets stick to advice about that please.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

to-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really nice

I know its not helpful to the original thread post-er but it does make me gigle that so many threads end up with the same bickers. Perhaps there should be a thread soley for bickering and then everyone else can just find answers to their questions! We could look it to the bickering thread then when we feel that way out - for me probably at pmt time! no offense meant just makes me giggle.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.