Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or Australia

New Zealand or Australia

Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:47 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by kaz Hen
Let me see each to his own but :
Wellington with it's sometimes windy weather, often clear blue sky with no wind. Wonderful resturants and friendly people.
London with it's traffic, rubbish filled streets, crowds, terrible and expensive resturants, eastern european gypsies begging on the undergrown.

Not much of a choice in my book.
UK bush?
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollster
Sorry PP but- hang on!

So 'they' (those who live differently from the likes of you and me) are OK to live that way but when it comes to governing the country only 'normal' people like us are good enough for the job?

Now I am not political so won't argue about individuals effectiveness and so on but frankly I feel that an ex prossy who had a sex change has got a hellva lot more life experience to bring to the job than me and has every right to stand for election. Same goes for the skateboarding fella - but I suppose if he had a haircut and went about by car, he would be OK in your book too?
Yes that's a very p.c. view but personally I'm with P.P. It's not about how someone looks particularly it's about outlandish views. I can see this thread ending up in"take it outside"
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Going back to 1st post. 6 months is really not enough time to settle in any new place. I hated the UK for the first year, until I discovered Italy and how easy it was to get there. Aust and NZ are very different countries and in a lot of ways aus is much more conservative, eg no wine in supermarkets (Brisbane).
Now to the investment bankers, maybe you should of tried Wellington. It has a great night life, nice and compact, easy to get around. Fantastic bars, resturants (even very good Indian ones).
Coming back to the UK, If you don't have kids, maybe.
Personally I am sick of my teenagers being robbed or chased because they refuse to give up their mobil phones, money etc.
We now have a curfew in the area we live, the other night my 15 year old had his name taken by the police (he was at the local shops getting lollies before being driven to the movies).
Now before you all think we live in some getto, you can't by a average, small 4 bed house for under £300,00 here.
I just have to get my kids through to a point in there education till we can leave. Hopefully with all of them still intact.
Before I get ripped to shreads with England bashing, what are we doing here you ask, EARNING YOUR POUNDS.
ps somebody mentioned leaving Aus for more opportunities in England, what like the great weather and taking your kids on a weekend trip to the next sale, seems to be a very popular option for entertainment.
:scared: Oh my God where do you live?
I'd move from there if I were you. My house is only worth half of that and I live on the edge of a big city but I don't have any of those problems.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the most expensive part of Nottingham. You know that city that is always in the news for drunk people in town on Friday nights and it's level of gun crime.
Yep I think we need to move too. Just waiting for the kids to finish schooling next year and we go.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

You know that city that is always in the news for drunk people in town on Friday nights and it's level of gun crime.
Sounds like Melbourne
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Apparently the most expensive part of Nottingham. You know that city that is always in the news for drunk people in town on Friday nights and it's level of gun crime.
Yep I think we need to move too. Just waiting for the kids to finish schooling next year and we go.
I read somewhere that Nottingham has the highest rate of crime in the country per person. My husband spent a weekend there and had the car broken in to. He saw several fights there too. If your house is worth that amount of money you could live somewhere much nicer than Nottingham. Good luck.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:38 am
kong

Personally I am sick of my teenagers being robbed or chased because they refuse to give up their mobil phones, money etc.
We now have a curfew in the area we live, the other night my 15 year old had his name taken by the police (he was at the local shops getting lollies before being driven to the movies).
You in Western Sydney then???

Anyone can pick a crap part of UK/Aus is say look how awful this country is.

Some posters on here seem to think that grubby urban areas are all that Britain consists of. Try living walking around some of W Sydneys suburbs at night.

Of course not all of Aus is like those areas, just as UK is not all dodgy parts of Lndon, Manchester etc.

Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by kong

Some posters on here seem to think that grubby urban areas are all that Britain consists of. Try living walking around some of W Sydneys suburbs at night.

Of course not all of Aus is like those areas, just as UK is not all dodgy parts of Lndon, Manchester etc.
Good point.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Kiwilamb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all replies - I am pleased to see that I am not the only one to find Helen Clarke :scared: If you are reading this Helen please, don't large it up on the international scene when you only have a small tax paying population.

I know that 6 months is not long to assess somewhere and that homesickness and missing family has a bearing but I once lived in a house in the UK that I really didn't like for too many years which made me realise that life spent in unhappy circumstances can be seen as so much wasted time. Waiting 5 years for NZ citizenship seems like a long time when it doesn't get you PR in OZ.

The point made about jobs and opportunities for children is important. Our kids love the outdoor adventures they have had here, playing on the beach, going to the mountains and the West Coast, climbing trees, biking through woodland etc but the eldest is only 9. How is he going to be feeling in a couple of years when he is thinking of higher education and career. You are probably thinking that I should have seen this earlier but somethings are not so apparent until you are actually living here.

Another point is of course the cost of moving and that the longer you hold out and try to give it time, the further back you slide financially as I can't see NZ rocketing up the economic tables in the near future. In fact, a recent report on personal wealth has shown even greater disparity between here and OZ.

I take on board the problems with jellies and the Cairns climate. I don't think that I would actually want to live there as I don't think my skin could take it but it was more a feeling of Cairns as part of Australia and how much more normal I felt being there. Would you say that Cairns is representative of Australia in general or is it a place on its own?
Old Jul 27th 2004, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick reply. NZ Citizenship will give you right of abode in Aus and your kids classed as home students for education.
But take your point 5 years is a long time to stay somewhere you don't really like.
I have been in the Uk for nearly 4 years only kept sane by the UK Pound and frequent travel out of England.
Having moved from UK to France to NZ back to UK, I know that every country has it's good and bad places and points. Now just confused about where I do want to live.
Good luck with your decision Kiwi.
Kaz
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Let me see each to his own but :
Wellington with it's sometimes windy weather, often clear blue sky with no wind. Wonderful resturants and friendly people.
London with it's traffic, rubbish filled streets, crowds, terrible and expensive resturants, eastern european gypsies begging on the undergrown.

Not my part of London - lived in Chelsea, just off King's rd. Had a flat in a regency style house round a private square - no gypos and no trash. Great restaurants around Chelsea - yes expensive but some of the worlds best cusine, the Aubergine was a favourite. Lovely pubs - Angleasea Arms just off King's rd, all beams and hanging baskets in the summer, and roaring fires in the winter. As for the underground - a dirty smelly underground is better than none at all.

There are some terrific parts of London to live but you need cash.

Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:36 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kong

Why just the western suburbs of Sydney? I could name you a whole host of places in Sydney I wouldn't like to tread at night.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:10 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ulujain
Why just the western suburbs of Sydney? I could name you a whole host of places in Sydney I wouldn't like to tread at night.
Bloody Balmain Daisies all over the place.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Not my part of London - lived in Chelsea, just off King's rd. Had a flat in a regency style house round a private square - no gypos and no trash. Great restaurants around Chelsea - yes expensive but some of the worlds best cusine, the Aubergine was a favourite. Lovely pubs - Angleasea Arms just off King's rd, all beams and hanging baskets in the summer, and roaring fires in the winter. As for the underground - a dirty smelly underground is better than none at all.

There are some terrific parts of London to live but you need cash.

Sounds like u should just go back to your fantastic little London enclave. Why did u leave??
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

From an earlier post you made i take it you live in Nottingham?

I lived all my life until i was 37 in London. The only reason i left was to live in my husbands country for a while. Dont assume everyone leaves UK because they dont like where they lived. Not all of us were unhappy with it.

I also owned a taxi company in London for 14yrs, so feel rather more qualified than most to comment on it as a whole. Hubbard is right, there are vast areas of London that are very nice places to live, just as there are very nasty places to live in other parts of UK.
He is also correct in stating that some of the worlds best restaurants are in London (along with plenty of crap ones too)

Yes they are usually more expensive and out of reach for some people but donot assume it is all one big cesspit or dirt, grime and crime. It merely shows ignorance of the truth.

Why are you so angry??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.