Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or Australia

New Zealand or Australia

Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

A very good point, it was on my to do list. Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:52 pm
wombat42

Originally posted by jad n rich
Have to agree with Jaj Cairns looks fantastic in winter, but you MUST consider summer there, its just a bit Plenty of posts about how fantastic QlD is in winter but the hot wet weather comes in Summer, and the far north is hot even to Locals.

Also jobs, Having made one move (the first poster) , its going to cost a heap to move again anywhere, so this time do the research on JOBS. Anywhere you are going cant people find out what the local industries are, in Cairns its tourism, some development and tropical farming. Unemployment rates?

A big point relevant to many threads, Cairns, Tasmania, Adelaide, Bundaberg.... People keep saying they want a better life for their kids, but you really need to research what opportunities there are job wise for teenagers once they leave school, I cant stress this enough, you read here all the time, this is for my kids but people are heading somewhere with real youth unemployment problems. Several threads with teens going back to the UK bring this point home.

When people in Australia make these type of points the thread rapidly ends up ignored and down on page 5, dont ignore it use it to help you. Ta
l don't think Qld is too hot in summer as long as you get air conditioning, the hot weather gives you a chance to enyoy Qld
fantastic beaches, well l prefer a warm climate to a cold one.
If you live in Melbourne or Sydney the weather is cool most of the
year it is under 25c except in summer you will get a few hot days,
but most of the time the weather is alot nicer then New Zealands
cold.

Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wombat42
l don't think Qld is too hot in summer as long as you get air conditioning, the hot weather gives you a chance to enyoy Qld
fantastic beaches, well l prefer a warm climate to a cold one.
If you live in Melbourne or Sydney the weather is cool most of the
year it is under 25c except in summer you will get a few hot days,
but most of the time the weather is alot nicer then New Zealands
cold.
You can enjoy the Beaches in QLD in the summer but not actually go in the water in much of QLD because of the 'stingers' (box jellyfish):scared:

Certainly not in or near Cairns.

G
Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by hubbard
Hi
We have been in Auckland for 2 years and have found it somewhat lacking. We put in our application for PR Australia about 2 months ago and the time for us to move to Oz can not come soon enough.

Our situation is that my partner and I are in our early thirties, no children and came from central London. We both worked in the City of London in Investment Banking and enjoyed a wide and active social life. Coming to NZ has been a huge shock. We both wanted a quieter life, more space, and just generally a less hectic lifestyle. But it is just too quiet here and unfortunately career opportuities are limited.

A lot of people will respond to this no doubt by saying 'you should have done your homework, what did you think NZ was going to be like' but the truth is we did reserach it but it is only when you are living it that you can truly weigh up whether what you had before is better than you have now, and to be honest I would take my life in London any day over a life Auckland.

Biggest negatives with Auckland:
Rain, rain, rain
Expensive compared to wages
Limited public transport so going out for a drink or for a meal on a Friday or Saturday night if you wish to have a few glasses of wine is a logistical nightmare.
Rush hour traffic
Expensive, damp and poorly insulated houses

Positives
The positives are there but to be honest nice scenary etc can be seen in most countries.

I will now sit back and wait for people to rip my observations to pieces and generally slag my observations off. But in response to original poster:
Get out while you can!
Totally agree with all your points Hubbard. I also moved from London, but outer suburbs.
I think the vast majority of people from UK (unless you come from one of the few remote parts of it) may just find it tooooooooo quiet.
I wanted a quieter life like you, but not dead as a dodo!!

We lived out west in a beautiful place called Titirangi. Most Brits would give their eye teeth to live there as the scenery is fantastic. But after a few months the novelty wears off and you hardly notice it anymore.
My husband and i need a bit of variety in our lives and Auckland and NZ just doesnt have it for us.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:24 pm
wombat42

Originally posted by Grayling
You can enjoy the Beaches in QLD in the summer but not actually go in the water in much of QLD because of the 'stingers' (box jellyfish):scared:

Certainly not in or near Cairns.

G
Jellyfish are only a problem in the north of Queensland most people live in the southern part of Queensland where there are'nt
any jellyfish on the beaches.

Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:44 pm
wombat42

That mad communist woman, Helen Clarke wrecked New Zealands economy, in Australia she would'nt even get elected to run a local council, let alone end up Prime Minister.

Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

And THATS saying something!!..
Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:48 pm
kong

That mad communist woman, Helen Clarke wrecked New Zealands economy, in Australia she would'nt even get elected to run a local council, let alone end up Prime Minister.
Johnny Howard is a great international statesman, dont you think wom??

Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

and then theres Nandos Tanchos ... the MP who is an avid cannabis user and promotes its use, has dreadlocks down to his backside (not that it bothers me but a member of parlaiment???!!)and his mode of transport is a skateboard!!.....this man helps to run their country :scared:
Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Oooh..and how about Georgina Beyers. The Maori activist, ex prostitute and transvestite who had a sex change!! She has been an MP for quite sometime.

I am a very liberal minded easy going type of person and have no issues with any of the lifestyles one may choose listed above..... just dont feel to safe having them making important decisions for the benefit of a whole country!
Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:03 am
wombat42

Originally posted by kong
Johnny Howard is a great international statesman, dont you think wom??
Well George Bush thinks so.

Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:09 am
kong

Well George Bush thinks so.
I gotta give it to you Wom, I stand corrected.

Howard is a great leader because Dubya says so.

Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This is an issue anywhere north of the Tropic of Capricorn.

I believe Gladstone is the southern limit of the box jellyfish in summer, but am open to correction on that.

Jeremy

Jellyfish are only a problem in the north of Queensland most people live in the southern part of Queensland where there are'nt
Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:31 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

southern part of Queensland where there are'nt
Aren't any jellyfish here ???..lol .. mm wonder what the hell are those blue things are in the water, which I see in a lot of places in the summer here
castostylus moscaicus .. or blue blubber, blue bottle to you, most common one here in Brisbane and surrounds.. you'd be blind not to see any here at all

Or would you prefer the brown snotty one ( brown blubber also called snotty to his friends)
purple stinger,fire stinger (one of the worst ones we have here) and saucer jellyfish to name just a few.

all sting and are painful.. but not deadly like the box - the fire stinger is one of our worst.. supposed to be very painful and can effect the muscles and mind.

Box jellyfish, yes it supposed to be gladstone the cut off point. Don't think there has ever been a sighting here in Brisbane .. but don't quote me on that. There's always the one sighting somewhere isn't there.

The little Irukandji ( very painful and serious) - they don't reckon they are around here.. but fishermen have caught them in their cast nets here... just two years ago someone caught some in shore while casting for bait in a net. ( deadcliffe it was actually). The council tried to write it off, saying he was mistaken.. I wonder why

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 26th 2004 at 12:39 am.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Box Jellyfish

Originally posted by JAJ
This is an issue anywhere north of the Tropic of Capricorn.

I believe Gladstone is the southern limit of the box jellyfish in summer, but am open to correction on that.

Jeremy

As a "Southerner" coming from Adelaide to Queensland to pick pineapples when I was younger, I swam every day in the sea in January at Yeppoon on the tropic of Capricorn line.
I was the only one swimming in the sea . . . . beautiful and warm, like a bath . . . with all these "paper bag" like things floating all around.
I did this for a whole bloody month.
Eventually, I met a young bloke on the beach and had a few words with him after I came out . . . first operson I'd seen in days on the beach!
I was told he was from Sydney, on holidays, and they were Box jellyfish . . . deadly
I didn't realise I was doing something akin to walking thro a field full of deadly snakes and crocs . . . each day after work.

I have often felt that a "guardian angel" is looking after me in life, but didn't realise it so much till that point back in 1978!

Box Jellyfish are DEFINITELY in the South Pacific Ocean at Yeppoon on the Tropic of Capricorn in big numbers in January.

I know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.