New Job! Hoorah!

Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:49 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Job! Hoorah!

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
Mandie fingers crossed for you - really hope you can come to a compromise that suits you both

Has your work contract come through yet?
Yes it came through a couple of weeks ago. It was to start in Feb but I've got a bit more time to get to NZ as i'm on the waiting list for an op, so i let the manager know this and she said not to worry, my job is safe and to get there when we can. It's soooo frustrating. I've just started a new thread to get word's of wisdom for Rick (OH) from other expats...so if you've got a message for him please post away
take care and thank you
Mandie
Old Feb 1st 2007, 2:00 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
You're gonna get the sack using your work computer to look at ex pats...on your first day
Ha! Hope not - boss has given the OK as my computer systems and training aren't till next week so I am kind of marking time at the mo. Soon to get busy though!

Cheers,

Wiz
Old Feb 1st 2007, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

woo hoo for the new job

congrats and enjoy your time surfing the net, you might not have any once you resume normal work operations

Dawn
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:57 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news on the job.. and on the 'training' too Well done
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Congrats Wiz n Ton! We´re from Southend too (now living in Spain) so know what you mean about Southend being c**p! Ha, ha. I´m trying to convince my OH to go to NZ... he´s willing to check it out on a holiday/recce. Can I ask how you got your job or have I already done so? I´m admin/secretarial so don´t hold out much hope of getting a job over and above similarly qualified NZ-ers!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

joey554 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

I have been following your arrival in New Zealand and firstly wanted to congratulate you on such a successful start. May I ask, where did you stay when you first arrived? I beleive looking at other threads on this forum in those first few days seem to make or break peoples experience. My family and I comtemplating emigration later this year and I am keen for this to be as smooth a transition as possible.

Good luck on your new job and enjoy Auckland

thanks

Nick
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:02 pm

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danemad
Congrats Wiz n Ton! We´re from Southend too (now living in Spain) so know what you mean about Southend being c**p! Ha, ha. I´m trying to convince my OH to go to NZ... he´s willing to check it out on a holiday/recce. Can I ask how you got your job or have I already done so? I´m admin/secretarial so don´t hold out much hope of getting a job over and above similarly qualified NZ-ers!
Hi there guys. Great to know some fellow Southendians managed to escape too. The two stabbings just up our road within a month of each other convinced us that it was time to move on. Safest town in the UK? My arse!

Anyway, I digress. I found my job on www.seek.co.nz. The company I applied to asked me to contact them on my arrival in NZ for an interview (as they didn't believe I was coming!!) which I did. Interview arranged withing 2 hours of arriving, job offered the day after the interview. Happy days

If you are in admin / secretarial, then from looking in The Press (local ChCh paper) then there are BUNDLES of jobs. Would advise that you get registered with as many local Temp agencies as possible (like Select www.selectaustralasia.co.nz) on arrival, show your abilities to them, and it's 50/50 that if you're halfway decent they'll offer you a long-term contract. Seems to be a real shortage of people aged 20 to 35 to fill junior manager/ supervisor/ admin roles.

Hope this helps you. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any more help.

Cheers,

Wiz
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by joey554
Hi Guys

I have been following your arrival in New Zealand and firstly wanted to congratulate you on such a successful start.
Why, thanks. It's all good so far! (touch wood/ fingers crossed/ clutches lucky rabbits foot)

May I ask, where did you stay when you first arrived? I beleive looking at other threads on this forum in those first few days seem to make or break peoples experience. My family and I comtemplating emigration later this year and I am keen for this to be as smooth a transition as possible.
We found a place to stay via this forum. We are still there - a really nice 2 bed place in Hornby, on the outskirts of ChCh. If you're interested, the owners e-mail is [email protected]. Their rental house is really nice. It's been brilliant for us to use as a base, and to get familiar with the city before jumping into the long-term commitment of renting a flat. We've just sorted the flat now, and move in tomorrow.

Good luck on your new job and enjoy Auckland
Cheers! I'm sure we will.

Hope this helps - feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Wiz
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hi there guys. Great to know some fellow Southendians managed to escape too. The two stabbings just up our road within a month of each other convinced us that it was time to move on. Safest town in the UK? My arse!

Anyway, I digress. I found my job on www.seek.co.nz. The company I applied to asked me to contact them on my arrival in NZ for an interview (as they didn't believe I was coming!!) which I did. Interview arranged withing 2 hours of arriving, job offered the day after the interview. Happy days

If you are in admin / secretarial, then from looking in The Press (local ChCh paper) then there are BUNDLES of jobs. Would advise that you get registered with as many local Temp agencies as possible (like Select www.selectaustralasia.co.nz) on arrival, show your abilities to them, and it's 50/50 that if you're halfway decent they'll offer you a long-term contract. Seems to be a real shortage of people aged 20 to 35 to fill junior manager/ supervisor/ admin roles.

Hope this helps you. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any more help.

Cheers,

Wiz
Thanks for the info!

Oh my goodness! I always knew it was bad but that IS bad! I had wanted to get out of the UK for years (I grew up in Spain so knew what I was missing) and finally managed it 3 yrs ago. We lived in Great Wakering which was a little removed from it all but not enough!

However, my only concern over here is for the future for my daughter, now 15, which is why I am considering NZ v Spain for her sake. All the arguments FOR NZ are about the same as for Spain, ie better way of life, more space, less crime, less attitude, etc., but the minus points seem to be the same as for here.. low paid jobs, bad driving, and so on.

I am 41 so wouldn´t fit in to the age category of work you mention but if jobs aren´t that hard to come by perhaps I´ll manage.

How have you found the wage structrure? The wages are abysmal over here to so I won´t be comparing NZ wages to the UK which is one thing. The average monthly take home here is 900 euros (£635 which is terrible!).