Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

more people keep leaving NZ

more people keep leaving NZ

Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:27 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: more people keep leaving NZ

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
And there you go again! Why do you INSIST on totally misrepresenting my posts?

I said I thought the first article made me think "silly boys" and I said the second was not comparable- it's bloody dreadful and wrong to compare it to the first, imo. A teacher was stabbed in the neck, ffs, that does not compare to a group of lads showing each other how sharp their knives were and accidentally cutting one of their arms.

How on earth is that rose tints? What *is* your problem?
My reactions on reading that story ranged from distress to anger, with everything in between. How about commenting on the story, instead of just arguing. I think there would be more respect forthcoming if you could do that.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

And there you go again! Why do you INSIST on totally misrepresenting my posts?

I said I thought the first article made me think "silly boys" and I said the second was not comparable- it's bloody dreadful and wrong to compare it to the first, imo. A teacher was stabbed in the neck, ffs, that does not compare to a group of lads showing each other how sharp their knives were and accidentally cutting one of their arms.

How on earth is that rose tints? What *is* your problem?
I think he has a few problems that EVEN a Grammar School couldn't straighten out, however at least some of the stories make the news in NZ, now let's compare that to this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sions-violence

Of course Sheene & co don't want to compare like for like i.e. the worst areas of the UK's cities, because they now just how bad they are as we all do. That is not to say that NZ doesn't have issues because it patently does in many ways, something no one on here has denied.

However trying to compare some kids taking a sharp implement to school and another about random violence is just another way of trying to get off topic and keep their schizo posts going.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:34 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's about cognitive dissonance

A group of lads taking knives to school in the UK is dreadful....but if it happens in .........(insert expat's country of choice) then it is just a bit of fun eh?

Well it does not always turn out to be so amusing does it?
I'm not a broken Britain brigade- I do have a better life here but it's horses for courses in general I think. However, my kids have been to schools where stupid stuff has happened and I haven't gone all Daily Mail about kids gone wild. If it were my call I would insist on immediate suspension for bringing knives into school and I hope the school did this, but I don't think that sort of idiocy is a symptom of deep social problems.

The stabbing is proper distressing though- I've no idea what the answer is there. No rose tints, no idea how it would be to return to the classroom as a teacher after an incident like that or one of the perpetrator's peers.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25
I only have Auckland to go on, but there in the out of hours medical centre, if anyone is waiting longer than an hour they draft in another doctor, the facilities are amazing and my son has access to brilliant medical people, MRI's etc., with very short time to wait i.e. days, that just would not happen in the UK.
We have private expat insurance. It can vary but i.m.e. you often have to wait 3-4 weeks to see a Consultant privately in Wellington. Occasionally they can fit you in for a test-type thing like an ultrasound same day.

There is a real problem with oncologists too. In Wellington they have recruited from Germany, UK and then they return or move on to Oz for the far higher wages and better working conditions/equipment.

You can get most stuff fast in the UK if you use BUPA (go private). Admittedly UK private sector is more for elective surgery than day to day stuff.
In Wellington the 'out of hours' is staffed by local GPs and quite expensive to use, so it is not the equivalent of NHS A&E.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a broken Britain brigade- I do have a better life here but it's horses for courses in general I think. However, my kids have been to schools where stupid stuff has happened and I haven't gone all Daily Mail about kids gone wild. If it were my call I would insist on immediate suspension for bringing knives into school and I hope the school did this, but I don't think that sort of idiocy is a symptom of deep social problems.

The stabbing is proper distressing though- I've no idea what the answer is there. No rose tints, no idea how it would be to return to the classroom as a teacher after an incident like that or one of the perpetrator's peers.
I don't have any problem with NZ (or the UK for that matter). In fact I have family there, spend a fair bit of time there (more than many who post on here) and may even live there when I retire.

I do, however, get pissed off with the number of posters who are only too ready to point out problems in the UK (which they want to leave) but then are prepared to ignore or excuse exactly the same issues in the country they wish to move to.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
We have private expat insurance. It can vary but i.m.e. you often have to wait 3-4 weeks to see a Consultant privately in Wellington. Occasionally they can fit you in for a test-type thing like an ultrasound same day.

There is a real problem with oncologists too. In Wellington they have recruited from Germany, UK and then they return or move on to Oz for the far higher wages and better working conditions/equipment.

You can get most stuff fast in the UK if you use BUPA (go private). Admittedly UK private sector is more for elective surgery than day to day stuff.
In Wellington the 'out of hours' is staffed by local GPs and quite expensive to use, so it is not the equivalent of NHS A&E.
Agreed that it is slower if not ACC, and sadly the neurology instance with my son was an emergency case. However when I have had BUPA in the UK, the consultants diaries meant that seeing someone was always a few weeks as well.

Not sure you would like to be treated like a British A&E, well at least not like one on a Fri/Sat night
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:43 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly

My take on the healthcare system here is that I prefer it for minor day to day stuff- I don't mind paying to see a Dr because I can afford to and I like that I get an appointment on the day, ditto minor exploratory stuff, GP day surgery etc. However, I do worry a bit if one of us were to become proper sick or need surgery more invasive than mole removal etc. I've begun to wonder if we should have health insurance, not something I'd have considered at all in Britain.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:46 am
---

Originally Posted by Grayling
I don't have any problem with NZ (or the UK for that matter). In fact I have family there, spend a fair bit of time there (more than many who post on here) and may even live there when I retire.

I do, however, get pissed off with the number of posters who are only too ready to point out problems in the UK (which they want to leave) but then are prepared to ignore or excuse exactly the same issues in the country they wish to move to.
Erm, me too. What made you gun for me though? I've lived in Oz, UK and NZ and I can count my gripes about each on one hand- my life is full of approach-approach decisions when it comes to emigrating
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree, however after seeing a friend was treated for something pretty serious to do with kidney/liver I feel a lot calmer about the care in NZ now.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, me too. What made you gun for me though? I've lived in Oz, UK and NZ and I can count my gripes about each on one hand- my life is full of approach-approach decisions when it comes to emigrating
Wasn't aimed at you

You seemed to get caught in the crossfire
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene

The ones who usually complain about the Grammar System are those who failed the 11 plus, or their children could not pass the entrance examination. This is not elitist, simply a recognition that not all children are the same, despite the attempts of the National Curriculum to prove otherwise.
You seem to be overlooking the fact that most areas of the UK do not have state-funded Grammar Schools. Shirley Williams managed to abolish most of them back in the 1970s.
The vast majority of people in UK since 1970s have had no opportunity whatsoever to take the Eleven PLUS. I didn't take it myself.

It would be a very poor Grammar School that didn't get good results since all the kids were pre-selected as being above average upon entry.