Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Materialistic Brits?

Materialistic Brits?

Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Materialistic Brits?

Originally Posted by mumomonty
In the UK, the basic standard of living is very subsidised andwe also have the NHS. Hey I've had toothache for a week and I'm sitting here hoping it will go away. It's not because i'm frightened of dentists - it's because it costs you an awful lot to go, let alone have any work done.

You make it sound like the NHS and dentists are free in the UK.
Actually, the majority of us pay 11% of our salary each month for it.
I can't remember the last time I didn't have to pay £10-15 at the dentist...that's not free either.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Markk
You make it sound like the NHS and dentists are free in the UK.
Actually, the majority of us pay 11% of our salary each month for it.
I can't remember the last time I didn't have to pay £10-15 at the dentist...that's not free either.
I dont think its being suggested Dentists are free, but having just had the experience of visiting one here in NZ I can assure you by comparison the prices are aastronomical I phoned around and paid $55 to sit in the dentist chair $ 25 for an x ray on 1 tooth $ 19 for antibiotics, and then needed to have a root canal work done $ 950.00 and a crown $ 1500 - 2000....I decided that the cost was just ridiculous, and didnt have that sort of money anyway, and that being it was a molar at the back had the thing removed $ 230.00...

So £ 15 sounds more than reasonable to me....and yes the work in the UK would have costed too....I had the same treatment on another tooth before I left £ 220 for root canal £300 for the crown....so alot cheaper and this was private dentist work.

And as for Mummomonty....I hope it gets better, I empathise with you
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livewire
Yes, I've got my eye on a particularly sexy little sabre tooth tiger outfit. The neighbour's just bought one, do I bash her with the club or use the credit card? Hard choice.
Nah! Just use your Clubcard
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=mumomonty]
Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Better weather??????? I think same covers it really. It's as fickle as the UK weatherwise.
as a kiwi living in london its seems as though there maybe be a trend with you pomms, you winge and moan about your own country-decide to leave, arrive in a new counry-winge and moan...then say how much better the country you left is?...hang on-u disliked yr country so much u left-so what the hell? im a kiwi i earn'n 8 pound an hour washn dishes, and england is a far cry from nz..but i dont complain..mayb its the british mind set? and by the way nz is not a little hawai in terms of weather but it is certainly much better than the uk, anything is! nz get a minium of 2000+ hrs of sunshine a year in all areas of the country, 2200+ in sunny spots, the uk struggles to get 1300-1500 a year-the coastline has lovely beaches..iv seen the stony brown water beaches here..not pretty..im not tryn have a go here-but for goodness sake cheer up, life too short mate
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:14 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=benultimate]

as a kiwi living in london its seems as though there maybe be a trend with you pomms, you winge and moan about your own country-decide to leave, arrive in a new counry-winge and moan...then say how much better the country you left is?...hang on-u disliked yr country so much u left-so what the hell? im a kiwi i earn'n 8 pound an hour washn dishes, and england is a far cry from nz..but i dont complain..mayb its the british mind set? and by the way nz is not a little hawai in terms of weather but it is certainly much better than the uk, anything is! nz get a minium of 2000+ hrs of sunshine a year in all areas of the country, 2200+ in sunny spots, the uk struggles to get 1300-1500 a year-the coastline has lovely beaches..iv seen the stony brown water beaches here..not pretty..im not tryn have a go here-but for goodness sake cheer up, life too short mate
That's great and NZ is fantastic but I think you are maybe seeing it from a single persons point of view too. No kids no ties etc.
What a lot of britishexpats are finding is that it is a bit harder if you have children in NZ and a lot more expensive than they are led to believe.
Im getting into the swing of NZ a lot more now but it takes a long time to settle with kids and you are running around like headless chickens at first trying to do the best for your children and finding it financially a big drain.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

I think the reason there is a lot of moaning about NZ when Brits get here is because it is sold as a tropical, beach culture paradise, and it isn't. In general new arrivals expect it to be:
Warmer
Cheaper

And when it isn't you start realising what you had in the UK actually wasn't so bad particularly when you couple your disappointments with missing family and friends and losing your general sense of belonging - things in my opinion we all undersestimate.

NZ is in no way a bad place and I am glad I had the opportunity to live there.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:08 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=benultimate]

Its not that we like moaning its just that its always...... too cold too hot too wet too expensive the TV is rubbish, my plasma is never big enough, we never win a home game, the politicians are corrupt, its too round, too square, the beer is flat, the beer is too fizzy, its warm then its too cold, its.........and so on so on and so on.......