Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Materialistic Brits?

Materialistic Brits?

Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:14 pm
livewire

Default Re: Materialistic Brits?

I'd agree with you on that one NZ Climber.

I've found materialism to be alive and very well here in NZ, you only have to drive around the North Shore and down into the CBD to see that.

Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livewire
I'd agree with you on that one NZ Climber.

I've found materialism to be alive and very well here in NZ, you only have to drive around the North Shore and down into the CBD to see that.
Materialism is a universal culture. It'd be alive and well even if we were running around in animal skins brandishing clubs saying "Ug"
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by deedee
and the average Brits debt is increasing week after week, to now what are unpresidented levels..
Just as it is for the average Kiwi. Kiwi levels of debt are frightening when you consider levels of pay for many, and still rising.

We've not found any comparable difference between Kiwi attitudes to material goods and that of Europeans.

If the myths about the above aspects of New Zealand life are dispelled , it will save many a would-be migrant from having crushed expectations.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:41 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]
Originally Posted by Markk
Maybe people who move to NZ automatically think they should have a very high standard of living? Possibly that is the wrong reason for going in the first place?

We did and still do find the Uk an incredibly materialistic place, one of the reasons I dislike Christmas here is the amount of money people waste buying every man and his dog a present, Christmas tips for the milkman, postman, hairdresser, madness.
Now I know this is not going to be a popular comment but it seems to me that people do think that moving to NZ will automatically raise their standard of living. If you are a milkman in the UK your not suddenly going to be chairman of the dairy board in NZ are you (ie if your not on a great salary here why would you think you would get more in NZ). Nobody goes to NZ to make money (that's why we are still in the UK) But what you do get is better weather, lovely parks, beaches all for free.
Better weather??????? I think same covers it really. It's as fickle as the UK weatherwise.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Better weather??????? I think same covers it really. It's as fickle as the UK weatherwise.
I certainly experienced better weather in NZ than the UK, lovely clear blue sky's in winter, days in summer that stayed sunny all day.

I think your weather problem is to do with that big black cloud that sits permanently over your head!
KAZ
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:48 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Jesus Kaz who stole your last sweetie as we say in Scotland. Think there are too many black clouds this now in Nottingham pet, your not in a good mood these days are you
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:50 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
I certainly experienced better weather in NZ than the UK, lovely clear blue sky's in winter, days in summer that stayed sunny all day.

I think your weather problem is to do with that big black cloud that sits permanently over your head!
KAZ
Hey Kaz, some folk coming from the UK think it is permanently sunny down here. I tell it like it is and quite enjoy living here but I still see how folk i.e. those poor prison officers are thinking they'll have a better life down here and even if they're skint they'll haev better weather or a nice view. Doesn't work like that. because on that limited income you are more likely to only be able to afford a weatherboard house to rent/buy that has not been insulated at all and has an ancient woodburner and creaky, draughty windows and floors.
Ancient bathrooms, mildew kitchens and cupboards.
It's not what people expect when they come here. In the UK, the basic standard of living is very subsidised andwe also have the NHS. Hey I've had toothache for a week and I'm sitting here hoping it will go away. It's not because i'm frightened of dentists - it's because it costs you an awful lot to go, let alone have any work done.

I would not advise anyone come to NZ for a better life. Like I say, mine's okay but I've lived on the rough side before and I'm making do again but who wants to 'make do' if they can go to bed at night not worrying about bills?

I'm not talking about handbags, shoes, latest phones, DVDs etc. I'm talking about those folk eeking out food every week and HAVING to steal wood to keep warm. Sounds like fun .........not! But we all know expats who do it here if we're not diong it ourselves.

Aside from those problems, I've never met a more down to earth people and liek another post said most kiwi would have furniture our grannies would havebut that doesn't matter ( I also have that furniture anyway).

Oh and about the cloud mate, yesterday - nearly summer HA HA - I fired up the woodburner again and you could see your breath outside. If that isn't cold, what is?

So dont' tell me what I know my reality is. I'm just posting my experience and I hope it will make people think twice about getting out of the UK thinking it's so bad there (and I know it is sick in a lot of respects) because NZ is not a cure all.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:54 am
livewire

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Materialism is a universal culture. It'd be alive and well even if we were running around in animal skins brandishing clubs saying "Ug"
Yes, I've got my eye on a particularly sexy little sabre tooth tiger outfit. The neighbour's just bought one, do I bash her with the club or use the credit card? Hard choice.

Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:59 am
livewire

Originally Posted by kaz Hen

KAZ
Flippin heck - it was like autumn here yesterday. Look, I've bought a 6 burner BBQ and I'm not afraid to use it. When summer starts let me know.

Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by livewire
Flippin heck - it was like autumn here yesterday. Look, I've bought a 6 burner BBQ and I'm not afraid to use it. When summer starts let me know.
If that's the mark of summer, it started for us on saturday First use of the BBQ. Used it on sunday too.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:40 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

it was 38 degrees in rangiora last thursday!! seems like summer is here to me!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:01 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermuse
it was 38 degrees in rangiora last thursday!! seems like summer is here to me!!
Not last night it wasn't, I very nearly froze to me mattress agin :scared:
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:39 am
livewire

Well it was a lovely calm evening so we used that BBQ, wah-hey!!. Not quite warm enough to eat outdoors comfortably after the sun went down, but very enjoyable nevertheless.

I can also tell it's summer from the increasing numbers of cicadas. Last year on a hot day, they were so loud in some places you had to shout to make yourself heard.

Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:34 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bookemjano
I agree, I've never been a clothes person .
More of a NO CLOTHES PERSON eh?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:54 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
More of a NO CLOTHES PERSON eh?
Only when everyone needs a good laugh! That reminds me, we must resurrect that NZ diet thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.