Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lurker forced out of hiding

Lurker forced out of hiding

Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lurker forced out of hiding

Originally Posted by dannigirl
One of the biggest issues as I see it is that we rarely explain our personal circumstances in full, personal history and baggage we carry around with us which heavily influence where we live and the choices we make in life. We all have different opinions on standard of living, quality of life, what is a need versus a want, how much money we all need to live or indeed survive. It's so hard to compare and so right that it is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

Would be interesting to hear if that woman who lives in London has children. Something in me just clicked when I had a child, the pull home began and I can't suppress it - as much as I do try at times, because god knows we will always be financially better off in the UK. Of all the kiwis I have known in London they have all gone home, or plan to return home in the next couple of years.

I half agree with you about history and culture, however NZ does have thriving art communities, and there is shock of horrors "culture" in NZ. There of course is not the access to the same amazing art galleries, museums, nor is the culture similar to British and European culture...but then that would be comparing apples with pears wouldn't it. To say NZ has no culture is not true, but it certainly does not have the abundance that the UK has.

And yes, I agree that none of us can agree!
Oh, I agree with you NZ has culture and we as kiwis have culture and our own unique view of the world. The mate that's not so in love with the UK said it came as a surprise to her that there was so much difference between Brits and Kiwis. But, when it comes to higher culture, then NZ is lacking.

The friend in London does have a child. She's actually the first person I've heard of who hasn't even been homesick. I dunno if there's other issues going on there that I don't know about. However, she also lives in a nice, affluent part of London (her words not mine) so maybe that's got something to do with it too?

Interesting that so many of your friends are leaving. Why is that? Do you think that's part of why you feel the pull to go back? I haven't met many kiwis here, and no kiwi women. All the kiwis I've met have been blokes married to canadian women and none of them look like leaving

Edited to add: and you make a good point about personal circumstances etc.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jul 26th 2010 at 10:31 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Oh, I agree with you NZ has culture and we as kiwis have culture and our own unique view of the world. The mate that's not so in love with the UK said it came as a surprise to her that there was so much difference between Brits and Kiwis. But, when it comes to higher culture, then NZ is lacking.

The friend in London does have a child. She's actually the first person I've heard of who hasn't even been homesick. I dunno if there's other issues going on there that I don't know about. However, she also lives in a nice, affluent part of London (her words not mine) so maybe that's got something to do with it too?

Interesting that so many of your friends are leaving. Why is that? Do you think that's part of why you feel the pull to go back? I haven't met many kiwis here, and no kiwi women. All the kiwis I've met have been blokes married to canadian women and none of them look like leaving

Edited to add: and you make a good point about personal circumstances etc.
I think it definitely makes a difference where you live in London, having said that personally it wouldn't make too much of a difference to me...still busy, still crowded, still ...and so on and so on.

Hardly any of the kiwis I have known here ever state that they are here to stay, even the very sucessful professionals are returning home eventually with small children or child on the way.

I also think it makes a huge difference if you are the female of the relationship/partnership. On a whole I think it is harder for us (women) to stay away from our family (of course there are exceptions)...and of course even men can get very homesick. From what I know about Canada it seems that kiwi blokes would "fit in" - quite a bit of similar culture there. I would seriously consider Canada as a place to live, I have quite a few Canadian friends and the lifestyle from what they say is very appealing. I really do admire people that move to a country that they have no family links to. For me friends can only fill the gap so much, I need family around (then you don't have to feel guilty about getting them to babysit!)

But each to their own, I trust my gut and my gut tells me I need to go home!!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I really do admire people that move to a country that they have no family links to.
On behalf of so many expats & emigrants from and to the world over - Thank you for that.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:46 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think it definitely makes a difference where you live in London, having said that personally it wouldn't make too much of a difference to me...still busy, still crowded, still ...and so on and so on.

Hardly any of the kiwis I have known here ever state that they are here to stay, even the very sucessful professionals are returning home eventually with small children or child on the way.

I also think it makes a huge difference if you are the female of the relationship/partnership. On a whole I think it is harder for us (women) to stay away from our family (of course there are exceptions)...and of course even men can get very homesick. From what I know about Canada it seems that kiwi blokes would "fit in" - quite a bit of similar culture there. I would seriously consider Canada as a place to live, I have quite a few Canadian friends and the lifestyle from what they say is very appealing. I really do admire people that move to a country that they have no family links to. For me friends can only fill the gap so much, I need family around (then you don't have to feel guilty about getting them to babysit!)

Makes sense. I would probably feel differently about staying in BC if I was close to my family. But i'm not, they are not a support to me. It's tough for the emigrants who come from close families.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:35 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pieface
Weather - Seriously, London weather beats where I'm from on the Antarctic Riviera (Dunedin).
Hard to compare the weather objectively between the two cities - one has warmer summers, the other warmer winters, one has more grey skies and drizzly weather, the other more blue sky days and more big southerly fronts and snowstorms. You take your pick!

Glad to hear you're enjoying life in the big smoke - I did a 10 year stint in the banks myself, before coming back to Dunners. Good money, interesting work, great city, easy access to Europe - certainly a good place to be when you're young.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:56 am

Hey Danni. So, I just got an email from friend backing up what you said - she said hardly any kiwis who have kids stay in london. Most of them return home to breed. So she's cleary some kind of genetic freak.