Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lurker forced out of hiding

Lurker forced out of hiding

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:31 am
Just Joined

pieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the rough
Default Lurker forced out of hiding

Right, now this is going to be a bit of a hefty post, so I shall break this down into sections as I have a few things to get off my chest!

Disclaimer: I shall offend some I'm sure, that is not my intention. I just want to voice my view. I'm sure I'll be labelled a hypocrite. That's fine, possibly justified, but again, just want to get my view across. I don't profess to be some smart arse with all the answers, and I apologise in advance if what I say comes off as a bit arrogant.

Background: I am a 3rd generation born New Zealander of mainly Scots descent, also English, Irish with a touch of French and lesser admitted to German. I grew up in Dunedin the son of a fireman and a dinner lady where I was schooled at state primary and a well regarded state grammar boys' secondary school. I entered the work force in a bank head office in Dunedin. I spent a few years in Wellington. I moved to England in my early twenties, back to New Zealand for a few years and have been back in England since. Now pushing mid-thirties to its limit, I reside in a well to do pocket of inner London and work for an investment bank in IT, thankfully still currently employed.

Intention: I simply wish to bluntly address some key areas where as a lurker on this forum I have previously been almost irked enough to chime in, but have bitten my tongue. Consider my tongue bitten through. Quite right, I should've put my tuppence worth in on the appropriate threads, and this post will be that long as to be impossible to reply to. What can I say? I'm a bit lazy.

Housing: Yes, in general the housing stock in New Zealand doesn't compare favourably to that of the UK. I take issue with people referring to houses as 'wooden sheds' however. It is perfectly practical to have a wooden abode which is perfectly weatherproof. Norway is an example, wooden houses abound. As long as they are properly insulated and of sound construction and maintained, they are fine. As a child growing up in harsh Dunedin winters I don't recall being cold indoors in a wooden abode in Andersons Bay. They key thing is you get what you pay for. Central heating, insulation, double glazing, air conditioning are all available to new builds or period homes alike. It irritates me that people complain about draughts or condensation and blame it on the country as a whole.

Cost of living: This is tough. As a frequent visitor to New Zealand, I have noticed over the years how expensive things have become since I last lived there. This is a function of many factors, exchange rate, commodity prices abroad, government policy and also the fact there has been an immigration boom in recent years. Simple fact is that those complaining about this should have done their sums, if the perceived benefits of a life in New Zealand don't add up financially, don't move. I constantly see bitter posts about what people were 'promised' at some immigration fair or other. For gods sake, do your research. I know a lot of you have done this and are finding things tough. You've got to ask yourself, would you really be better off back in the UK? Maybe. I do feel sorry for those who feel financially trapped in NZ, but really, don't underestimate how tough things are in the UK.

NZ restaurants: I've seen some comments make my blood boil on this forum. In general I find the quality of NZ restaurants is fantastic in not only the main cities, but right down to small towns and even villages. The service is generally of a magnitude better. I have seen individuals on this forum complain that so many meals so often come with chips. On a British expats forum - i ask you really?

NZ sense of humour: Exasperated on this one, as it often comes up. Really, can you name another country on Earth more in tune with a British (broad term) sense of humour????? In terms of television most non mainstream British comedy television, NZ is practically the only country it would get screened. In terms of English speaking western countries are the Australians, Americans or Canadians more in tune with your sense of humour? New Zealanders can take the piss out of themselves - a key unifying trait I would have thought - certainly not common to the nations mentioned above.

NZ a third world country: This beggars belief really! New Zealand by comparison in infrastructure terms has some problems of scale, but 'third world'???? For christs sake, some people seem to think that this term is subjective. It's not. It is clearly defined. New Zealand is a first world country. Struggling with the fact I need to type those words.

NZ work attitudes: This I can admit would be frustrating to many an immigrant. Being quite insular in a lot of ways, attitudes can seem ingrained and a newcomer with experience in scale may well have experience that can seem to fall on deaf ears. I've got to say this is normally always a problem of approach. It's not unique to New Zealand that someone coming from the outside and giving it the big 'I am' isn't going to go down well. The way I see problems arise when you try and lord it and say this is how WE do things in the UK. You are part of NZ now. Change things as one of them, not someone who comes off as the all knowing adviser. Admittedly there is an attitude of the NZ way of doing things. I'd say, just conform and then use your experience which may well make things better - but do it as a fellow NZ'er.

The whiners: By crikey, we all know who you are. Regardless of the topic on this forum, you jump in and use it as a showcase for your bitterness and contempt for the situation you find yourself in. I feel sorry for you, I really do. A lot of you must feel trapped, cheated and a bit angry. I somehow think that for some of you your attitude is a good part of your problem. How can your lot improve when you feel you must bring everything down and justify your errors as being the fault of NZ rather than your own. Look, I've seen it from both sides of the fence. I've seen NZ'ers move to Britain, have a some bad experiences and blame the entire country and up and leave. They are blinkered to the fact those experiences could happen anywhere and maybe the fault of individuals or companies, but not reflective of the entire bloody country! Keep some perspective!

Crime: A lot of you seem to be absolutely quaking in your boots regarding crime. What planet are you on???? Again, a bit of perspective please! The media take hold of things in a way in NZ which can distort the reality of how likely you are to encounter crime in your lives. Don't get me wrong, NZ has its problems with shocking domestic violence and horrific violence, murders, drug problems and poverty. Put the media aside for a moment and think about it though, are you really so scared to leave the house? As an ordinary middle class citizen in 90% of NZ's neighbourhoods, you are hardly likely to suffer worse than having your car broken into.

Smileys: A bit off topic of immigration, but right on topic for this forum! I mean really, why so many bloody smileys???? Is it really necessary to litter every post head to toe to convey every nuance of emotion? That should just be left to the words.

To finish, NZ is a bit different. It's been said so many times before. New Zealand is a different country. Some things are going to be better, some worse. Probably all things considered the country most alike Britain though. Weigh it up and make a call as to whether its for you or not. If you decide to stay, it would pay to remember that all the good and bad in NZ is your benefit or your problem. Don't see yourself as separate. Forget the 'us and them' attitude. If you consider yourself a New Zealander, you will be embraced as being a local. Even if you are affectionately called a Pom! Don't say to someone in the pub, 'You lot need to sort out the boy racers!' You need to say, 'What are going to do about these bloody boy racers?' NZ is your country now, like it or not, make the best of it!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lurker forced out of hiding

Sorry couldn,t resist, well said

Neil
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Well all i can say is BRAVO for this post Pieface, like yourself i have often sat back and bit my tongue at some comments.

I have been in NZ 34yrs now and have made frequent trips back to the UK so can see it from both sides of the fence and what really irks me is the constant comments of how this and that are wrong with just about everything in NZ

What people dont seem to get is that thay have chosen to come and live in NZ and maybe Kiwis dont want things changed or to hear about how much better things are done in other countries by people emigrating here...IT IS THIS THAT MAKES NEW ZEALAND UNIQUE!
Only thing i dont agree with is no smileys as im a sniley sort of a gal lol i am tempted to stick one in here but will refrain...Have a fabulous weekend....Cally

Originally Posted by pieface
Right, now this is going to be a bit of a hefty post, so I shall break this down into sections as I have a few things to get off my chest!

Disclaimer: I shall offend some I'm sure, that is not my intention. I just want to voice my view. I'm sure I'll be labelled a hypocrite. That's fine, possibly justified, but again, just want to get my view across. I don't profess to be some smart arse with all the answers, and I apologise in advance if what I say comes off as a bit arrogant.

Background: I am a 3rd generation born New Zealander of mainly Scots descent, also English, Irish with a touch of French and lesser admitted to German. I grew up in Dunedin the son of a fireman and a dinner lady where I was schooled at state primary and a well regarded state grammar boys' secondary school. I entered the work force in a bank head office in Dunedin. I spent a few years in Wellington. I moved to England in my early twenties, back to New Zealand for a few years and have been back in England since. Now pushing mid-thirties to its limit, I reside in a well to do pocket of inner London and work for an investment bank in IT, thankfully still currently employed.

Intention: I simply wish to bluntly address some key areas where as a lurker on this forum I have previously been almost irked enough to chime in, but have bitten my tongue. Consider my tongue bitten through. Quite right, I should've put my tuppence worth in on the appropriate threads, and this post will be that long as to be impossible to reply to. What can I say? I'm a bit lazy.

Housing: Yes, in general the housing stock in New Zealand doesn't compare favourably to that of the UK. I take issue with people referring to houses as 'wooden sheds' however. It is perfectly practical to have a wooden abode which is perfectly weatherproof. Norway is an example, wooden houses abound. As long as they are properly insulated and of sound construction and maintained, they are fine. As a child growing up in harsh Dunedin winters I don't recall being cold indoors in a wooden abode in Andersons Bay. They key thing is you get what you pay for. Central heating, insulation, double glazing, air conditioning are all available to new builds or period homes alike. It irritates me that people complain about draughts or condensation and blame it on the country as a whole.

Cost of living: This is tough. As a frequent visitor to New Zealand, I have noticed over the years how expensive things have become since I last lived there. This is a function of many factors, exchange rate, commodity prices abroad, government policy and also the fact there has been an immigration boom in recent years. Simple fact is that those complaining about this should have done their sums, if the perceived benefits of a life in New Zealand don't add up financially, don't move. I constantly see bitter posts about what people were 'promised' at some immigration fair or other. For gods sake, do your research. I know a lot of you have done this and are finding things tough. You've got to ask yourself, would you really be better off back in the UK? Maybe. I do feel sorry for those who feel financially trapped in NZ, but really, don't underestimate how tough things are in the UK.

NZ restaurants: I've seen some comments make my blood boil on this forum. In general I find the quality of NZ restaurants is fantastic in not only the main cities, but right down to small towns and even villages. The service is generally of a magnitude better. I have seen individuals on this forum complain that so many meals so often come with chips. On a British expats forum - i ask you really?

NZ sense of humour: Exasperated on this one, as it often comes up. Really, can you name another country on Earth more in tune with a British (broad term) sense of humour????? In terms of television most non mainstream British comedy television, NZ is practically the only country it would get screened. In terms of English speaking western countries are the Australians, Americans or Canadians more in tune with your sense of humour? New Zealanders can take the piss out of themselves - a key unifying trait I would have thought - certainly not common to the nations mentioned above.

NZ a third world country: This beggars belief really! New Zealand by comparison in infrastructure terms has some problems of scale, but 'third world'???? For christs sake, some people seem to think that this term is subjective. It's not. It is clearly defined. New Zealand is a first world country. Struggling with the fact I need to type those words.

NZ work attitudes: This I can admit would be frustrating to many an immigrant. Being quite insular in a lot of ways, attitudes can seem ingrained and a newcomer with experience in scale may well have experience that can seem to fall on deaf ears. I've got to say this is normally always a problem of approach. It's not unique to New Zealand that someone coming from the outside and giving it the big 'I am' isn't going to go down well. The way I see problems arise when you try and lord it and say this is how WE do things in the UK. You are part of NZ now. Change things as one of them, not someone who comes off as the all knowing adviser. Admittedly there is an attitude of the NZ way of doing things. I'd say, just conform and then use your experience which may well make things better - but do it as a fellow NZ'er.

The whiners: By crikey, we all know who you are. Regardless of the topic on this forum, you jump in and use it as a showcase for your bitterness and contempt for the situation you find yourself in. I feel sorry for you, I really do. A lot of you must feel trapped, cheated and a bit angry. I somehow think that for some of you your attitude is a good part of your problem. How can your lot improve when you feel you must bring everything down and justify your errors as being the fault of NZ rather than your own. Look, I've seen it from both sides of the fence. I've seen NZ'ers move to Britain, have a some bad experiences and blame the entire country and up and leave. They are blinkered to the fact those experiences could happen anywhere and maybe the fault of individuals or companies, but not reflective of the entire bloody country! Keep some perspective!

Crime: A lot of you seem to be absolutely quaking in your boots regarding crime. What planet are you on???? Again, a bit of perspective please! The media take hold of things in a way in NZ which can distort the reality of how likely you are to encounter crime in your lives. Don't get me wrong, NZ has its problems with shocking domestic violence and horrific violence, murders, drug problems and poverty. Put the media aside for a moment and think about it though, are you really so scared to leave the house? As an ordinary middle class citizen in 90% of NZ's neighbourhoods, you are hardly likely to suffer worse than having your car broken into.

Smileys: A bit off topic of immigration, but right on topic for this forum! I mean really, why so many bloody smileys???? Is it really necessary to litter every post head to toe to convey every nuance of emotion? That should just be left to the words.

To finish, NZ is a bit different. It's been said so many times before. New Zealand is a different country. Some things are going to be better, some worse. Probably all things considered the country most alike Britain though. Weigh it up and make a call as to whether its for you or not. If you decide to stay, it would pay to remember that all the good and bad in NZ is your benefit or your problem. Don't see yourself as separate. Forget the 'us and them' attitude. If you consider yourself a New Zealander, you will be embraced as being a local. Even if you are affectionately called a Pom! Don't say to someone in the pub, 'You lot need to sort out the boy racers!' You need to say, 'What are going to do about these bloody boy racers?' NZ is your country now, like it or not, make the best of it!

Last edited by cally49; Jul 23rd 2010 at 1:51 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Theres a lot of truth in that there post

Last edited by cleverchap; Jul 23rd 2010 at 1:54 am. Reason: removed smiley so as not to offend
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Neil and i was being so strong! The scary thing is my fingers just wanted to add a smiley it seemed very weird not putting one on my post lol but hey im going to do it again ...Cally
Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Sorry couldn,t resist, well said

Neil
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya kiwi.
Great post
Some people need to give their head a shake.

I think it's pretty marvellous here on balance.
Nowhere is perfect and you always have to trade off one thing for another.
But for me, I'm paid well enough, and I have all that I need to live a reasonable life.

But just don't get me talking about NZers driving

(one for luck)

Last edited by pricklykina; Jul 23rd 2010 at 1:57 am. Reason: can't type for sh*t
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:05 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Pieface,

an interesting post. Could I ask if you practice what you preach regarding saying things are 'our problem' and not 'your problem' when it comes to the place you now live?

I happen to believe that nations should learn from each other and so it's quite OK to compare.

Let's face it what would you rather;

Eat like the English
Drive like the Italians
Manage like the French
Laugh like the Germans
Love like the Swiss
Build like the Kiwi's

or

Laugh like the English
Drive like the Germans
Love like the Italians
Eat like the French
Build like the Swiss
.....play sport like a Kiwi

...and just for you

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 7:26 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

pieface , got to say, I agree with 99% of what you say!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Hell of a 5th Post (Thumb up) (Thumbs up) (Wink) (Big Grin)

I was starting to get a little put off the idea with all the negativity..
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Pieface - love the honesty and the post. Have a great weekend in sunny London
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Pieface, I will ask you what might seem like an impertinent question. If NZ is all that it is 'cracked up' to be, then why do you choose to stay in the UK?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Pieface, I will ask you what might seem like an impertinent question. If NZ is all that it is 'cracked up' to be, then why do you choose to stay in the UK?
Dont think Pieface quite 'bigged' up NZ, just wanted to tell all the moaning folk out there to get a grip!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:40 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

The smileys thing makes me laugh. I guess they're a bit like marmite... love them or hate them.

Thanks for the post.

WP
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Right on the button!
Originally Posted by strawbie
Dont think Pieface quite 'bigged' up NZ, just wanted to tell all the moaning folk out there to get a grip!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:01 am
Just Joined

pieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Quite simply - this is where my life is now. I love it in the UK, despite its problems it is an amazing place and feel privielged to be part of it. I often think about going back to New Zealand, maybe I will one day. A couple of the many things that keep my here for now:

Sausages - It's hard to find a bad sausage here. It's just as hard to find a good one in NZ!
Weather - Seriously, London weather beats where I'm from on the Antarctic Riviera (Dunedin).

Originally Posted by pricklykina

But just don't get me talking about NZers driving
Oh yes, that is quite right. NZ drivers in general are dreadful in comparison to the UK. I consider myself a rubbish driver, but then I did get my licence in NZ. I think it's mainly that due to the less fraught traffic conditions, people have less need to be courteous to other road users.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.