Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its the Northland for us!

Its the Northland for us!

Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:20 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its the Northland for us!

hi Andy...many thanks!
will visit later c/o google earth till we are on the ground!
Bx
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:46 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Found it! drove through Helena Bay on way to Russell on first visit, stayed at Ngunguru (through Matapouri) and went to Ocean Beach on last visit ..... just so many lovely beaches!!! sadly didn't have time to do them all when just visiting!!
Google earth's great..... but just makes the yearning to be there even stronger!! lucky you!!
Hope life is still good for you .... B x
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

ziggi will become famous soon enoughziggi will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Its the Northland for us!

Originally Posted by MnB
Found it! drove through Helena Bay on way to Russell on first visit, stayed at Ngunguru (through Matapouri) and went to Ocean Beach on last visit ..... just so many lovely beaches!!! sadly didn't have time to do them all when just visiting!!
Google earth's great..... but just makes the yearning to be there even stronger!! lucky you!!
Hope life is still good for you .... B x

Life is good thanks

Went for our 'fast track' interview at Immigration yesterday, they looked over the paperwork and all seems ok. So IF (BIG IF) all paperwork is ok, they told us we could be approved in 6 - 9 wks, so just sit and wait now

Andy
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:06 pm
MnB

Good Luck!
Enjoy beach life for the next 6-9wks!! thats when you dont have BE/Immigration finger!
Keep us posted
B x
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice

Hi Everyone,
enjoyin this thread we were in the Northland at the end of May, I had job interview nr Paihia, the family were certainly taken with the Bay area, I am hoping the job offer follows soon as I can certainly see us settling in the Paihia / KeriKeri area, has anyone got first hand experience of this area ?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:01 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
Hi Everyone,
enjoyin this thread we were in the Northland at the end of May, I had job interview nr Paihia, the family were certainly taken with the Bay area, I am hoping the job offer follows soon as I can certainly see us settling in the Paihia / KeriKeri area, has anyone got first hand experience of this area ?
Hi Good luck & hope you get job offer! I'm sure Pixie Dust will be along ... have you checked out her blog? If you havn't a word of warning.... its addictive!
B x
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:59 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Jo_Paul I live rurally pretty much equidistant between Paihia and Kerikeri. My DH works in Kerikeri.
We don't have kids so can't give any advice about schools and such, but some of our friends do and seem very happy with all that stuff.
I can give you the name of a good vet though as we have loads of animals!
Given that I don't live in either of them you'll have to take what I say with a pinch of salt - but if I was to choose I'd say Kerikeri ( if it had to be in a town) purely because Paihia has quite a transient population and in the summer time it's very busy with tourists and I think that it might do my head in, I see it as more of a holiday place! that's not to say Kerikeri hasn't got it's fair share of visitors though. With Paihia you do have the water right there. Haruru Falls is near by and is nice with spectacular views.

As small towns go, I think Kerikeri in really good. It has everything you need and more.
Also all round this area there are other wee places and rural properties tucked away, sections for sale to build on etc. I absolutely love living up here and wouldn't change it - it suits my husband and I perfectly.

I suppose some good advice ( which we didn't take at all!) would be to rent first to get a feel for the place, drive around the area distances that you would feel happy about travelling to work. You don't get traffic jams so geting from place to place is pretty easy.

Is there anything specific you would like to know? oh and fingers crossed for your job offer.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

ziggi will become famous soon enoughziggi will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Its the Northland for us!

I would agree with pixi-dust on the Kerikeri, Pahia property also seems to be more expensive, maybe due to tourist area?
On the renting front, GOOD idea that's what we did. BUT, a word of warning that we didn't know until we were here looking, most properties that are let are un-furnished. When we were looking around Whangarei area, we could only find 3 that were furnished, so either budget for furnishings or be prepared for a 'shorter' list to pick from than you may think. On the budget front, is it me or is the furnishings in NZ a bit more expensive than the UK?

Best of luck with the job offer

Andy & Em
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Yes furnishings are a lot more - most things are more expensive in New Zealand - per salary ratio. Its a tricky one, hard to know whats best with renting - furnished or unfurnished. At least if you furnish yourself you can buy what you like - over here where they always furnish, quite often they have the worse quality furnishings that can fall apart.