Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its the Northland for us!

Its the Northland for us!

Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Its the Northland for us!

Well, we have finally decided where we want to settle in NZ and its the Northland. We have gone from Wairarapapa, Hawkes Bay and now the far North. Thats it, just got to get a job up there. There is a post in orthopaedics but I think I might lose the will to live if I did it everyday.

Hubby is worried about all the rain and the damp conditions for our old bones (Err...when we get old that is) but I think the warmth will more than make up for that.

OH was a marine engineer some moons ago and with all the those boats and stuff, can only be good. He was biting at the bit last night, seeing how cheap boats go for on trademe. Ones that need work obviously.

Would love to hear from people that moved up there. We will want to be rural but also got to be able to get into Wangarei for the hospital.

I know the lovely pixi-dust is up there cos I've been reading her blog and its reading this, that has convinced us that we have made the right decision for us.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:26 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its the Northland for us!

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Well, we have finally decided where we want to settle in NZ and its the Northland. We have gone from Wairarapapa, Hawkes Bay and now the far North. Thats it, just got to get a job up there. There is a post in orthopaedics but I think I might lose the will to live if I did it everyday.

Hubby is worried about all the rain and the damp conditions for our old bones (Err...when we get old that is) but I think the warmth will more than make up for that.

OH was a marine engineer some moons ago and with all the those boats and stuff, can only be good. He was biting at the bit last night, seeing how cheap boats go for on trademe. Ones that need work obviously.

Would love to hear from people that moved up there. We will want to be rural but also got to be able to get into Wangarei for the hospital.

I know the lovely pixi-dust is up there cos I've been reading her blog and its reading this, that has convinced us that we have made the right decision for us.
We were very torn between Northland and BoP, love both areas ..... but the magic of pixie dust has now got us thinking Northland for us!! her brilliant blog & pics just reminded us of all that was 'right' for us in that area, that added with the fact that our freinds in BoP are off to Oz for a couple of years has now put Northland at top of our list too
Good luck with job hunt seems to be quite a few RN jobs and there are def plenty of boats around!! so should both be ok..... will watch out for your posts
B x
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:30 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

it's peeing down just now!
I know there are a few people on here that live in Northland and love it, so I hope you do too. ( Or wherever if you decide on somewhere else)
Do you have an idea of what time of year you may arrive?
My advice would be to try for late spring. That way you've got a whole summer before winter sets in.( this would be the same for any area really. We Arrived in October and that was pretty good) Winter is my only gripe. For our first few years it was actually very good, but last year was tremendously wet and you really have to bear in mind that it's classed as sub tropical and that means rain. And it's rain like none I ever saw in Britain.
Sometimes that's exciting! but last winter was beyond a joke!
I'm not trying to put you off!! but it's not all sun, sea, chooks and barbys on the beach!
Do either of you dive? As for the boating thing, a lot of people own boats, it's not seen as a 'rich persons' thing to do as I always imagined in the uk, obviously there are some flash boats around, but mostly people just have any old thing! We even have a boat and it's ancient! ( but has a new engine so it actually goes!) The Bay is a stunning place to be out and about in and for the most part very very quiet.
My advice would also be to try to make friends, it's our friends up here that really make life great for us - I suppose that goes for any area you choose.
Rural areas round whangarei - I love Waipu, and I know 'Kiwi" lives down that way too but not sure if she posts here.

If you think of stuff you need to know I'll try to help.
Anyway, good luck both of you

Last edited by pixi-dust; Jun 13th 2009 at 6:37 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:48 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I know there are a few people on here that live in Northland and love it, so I hope you do too. ( Or wherever if you decide on somewhere else)
My advice would be to try for late spring. That way you've got a whole summer before winter sets in.( this would be the same for any area really. We Arrived in October and that was pretty good) Winter is my only gripe. For our first few years it was actually very good, but last year was tremendously wet and you really have to bear in mind that it's classed as sub tropical and that means rain. And it's rain like none I ever saw in Britain.
I'm not trying to put you off!! but it's not all sun, sea, chooks and barbys on the beach!
Do either of you dive? As for the boating thing, a lot of people own boats, it's not seen as a 'rich persons' thing to do as I always imagined in the uk, obviously there are some flash boats around, but mostly people just have any old thing! We even have a boat and it's ancient! ( but has a new engine so it actually goes!) The Bay is a stunning place to be out and about in and for the most part very very quiet.
My advice would also be to try to make friends, it's our friends up here that really make life great for us - I suppose that goes for any area you choose.
Rural areas round whangarei - I love Waipu, and I know 'Kiwi" lives down that way too but not sure if she posts here.

Hi! Thanks for your post!!! .... Waipu ..mmmmm! bliss, Bream Bay, Langs Beach ....heaven!!! Got rained out of northland on last visit, that was in March 08,so went to Raglan, to meet up with friends for Classic car RnR fest and got sunburnt! Had a memorable time in Russell on previous visit (Nov 06) did good touristy trips ... flight up to Cape.... just me, pilot & mark (OH), dolphin watching etc stayed in cabin at Top 10 site and both felt we could have just stayed forever!!!
Its not the weather that attracts me to Northland ...its a case of escapism (well...semi escapism!) We are both 'beach' people, Mark is a surfer, I'm a fair weather body boarder....meaning in UK I only venture into the sea about once every 2yrs! but I'm quite happy to sit and wave watch. Dont dive or have a boat here but you never know where this journey will take us!
As for occupations .... well basically both happy to try anything! but my background is in health/care/management/teaching, Mark is an antique & furniture restorer/musician/photographer and was born in NZ.......I'm hoping to bring him 'home' later this year, or Feb next year if plans dont run to time!!

Thanks again for post and offer of advice .... sure we will be picking your brains in future.....really inspired by your South Island Blog.... we were planning on a holiday there at start of our new life.
Hope the sky is blue for you soon!!!
B x
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:31 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnB
H Got rained out of northland on last visit, that was in March 08,
B x
AH yes! I remember that rain well - it rained off my 'big' birthday Well if it's beaches you're after then there are gorgeous ones!
L and I have just taken up surfing ( he's good, I'm not) and it's brilliant!

We absolutely adored the South Island, we were lucky with the weather, at the time of year we went. I loved Nelson

When I read your 2 posts this morning I had a wee panic and thought - argh! No pressure then!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pixi

We are quite early in the process although we do have our ITA. We are hoping to get out there for Nov/Dec time this year.

Yes we have both dived but we don't have our padi's. Easily remedied though. I have never been interested in diving in Cornwall...way too cold with murky waters.

We want a small farm and have always kept chooks. Buff orpingtons are my favourite.

Thank you for the offer of advice. I am sure that over the coming months I'll be needing to know stuff

Numptyhead aka Maria
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

ziggi will become famous soon enoughziggi will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Its the Northland for us!

Em & I have lived in Maunu, just outside Whangarei for 4 months now. We are really enjoying the life here, yes it rains, and sometimes HARD. BUT, on Wednesday I was in shorts & tee in 21 deg sun walking around town basin with a fruit smoothie, a great feeling for 'winter'
On your last post you mention your beach people, you'll LOVE it up here, surfing is great, long beaches for Kiting (Em is a surfer and I kite buggy) too many to list but here's a couple.
Ocean beach @ Whangarei heads, on good day the surf is fun for anyone.
Mimiwhangata Bay, lovely walk around the head, and a great beach to chill, or walk South for 15 min's to find the local surf spot.
Ahipara, (south end of 90 mile beach) only a couple hr's drive and great weekend away, stay on the beach at Endless summer lodge.
Taupo bay, SHOOOSH! DON'T tell anyone, the best surf spot and a great get away for weekend again, stay at the BEST Pizza making hostel in NZ (the world?) Kahoe Farm hostel.
We had the NZ Rally here last weekend, a great change of pace and worth alook even if your not into cars, like us.
If you like Photo's? Then again it's a great place.
In short, after 4 months, we are very happy here. We have travelled throughout NZ and there are places we want to revisit and maybe work oneday, but for now the Northland and it's people have made it a lovely place to live.

Andy
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:06 pm
MnB

When I read your 2 posts this morning I had a wee panic and thought - argh! No pressure then![/QUOTE]

Aahh...none what so ever you just re-kindled an old flame!
B x
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:25 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by ziggi
Em & I have lived in Maunu, just outside Whangarei for 4 months now. We are really enjoying the life here, yes it rains, and sometimes HARD. BUT, on Wednesday I was in shorts & tee in 21 deg sun walking around town basin with a fruit smoothie, a great feeling for 'winter'
On your last post you mention your beach people, you'll LOVE it up here, surfing is great, long beaches for Kiting (Em is a surfer and I kite buggy) too many to list but here's a couple.
Ocean beach @ Whangarei heads, on good day the surf is fun for anyone.
Mimiwhangata Bay, lovely walk around the head, and a great beach to chill, or walk South for 15 min's to find the local surf spot.
Ahipara, (south end of 90 mile beach) only a couple hr's drive and great weekend away, stay on the beach at Endless summer lodge.
Taupo bay, SHOOOSH! DON'T tell anyone, the best surf spot and a great get away for weekend again, stay at the BEST Pizza making hostel in NZ (the world?) Kahoe Farm hostel.
We had the NZ Rally here last weekend, a great change of pace and worth alook even if your not into cars, like us.
If you like Photo's? Then again it's a great place.
In short, after 4 months, we are very happy here. We have travelled throughout NZ and there are places we want to revisit and maybe work oneday, but for now the Northland and it's people have made it a lovely place to live.

Andy
Hi there, good to hear you are enjoying life! have been to some of places you mentioned (even Taupo Bay, no surf though! but just as well - M didn't have a board!!!) and have to agree it is an area that we would both enjoy, but as you say there are other areas that may be right one day.....!

Wednesday it was grey & 17 deg here .....grey Thurs, patchy sun Fri, bit more sun today maybe tomorrow will be a shorts day .....except I'm working and have to wear uniform ...no shorts for me then!!

Bye for now, hope you keep enjoying NZ
B x
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:24 am
A land far far away

Ziggi SsssHHhhhhhhh Don't tell everyone about Taupo Bay!
It is my favourite beach of all time. There's a tiny section for sale, one of the few with nothing on it and as far as I'm concerned it's mine Every time we're there I drive round to it and just look for a wee while. Wishing!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

It's funny that South Islanders often complain that Aucklanders think NZ stops just south of the Bombay Hills, ie just south of Auckland. But the funny thing is that most of NZ thinks NZ stops just north of Auckland. You hardly ever hear anyone say they're moving to Northland. It is absolutely beautiful in places and I hope you enjoy it. You can get a job nursing most places and a boating enthusiast will love it. I doubt the nightlife is much, but you learn to make your own fun.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No she doesn't Pixi. It would be great if she did. She is a truly,lovely, fun person is Kiwi.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:58 am
A land far far away

yeh she is I'll see if I can find her as she knows everything and is a goldmine of information!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:45 pm
MnB

[Mimiwhangata Bay, lovely walk around the head, and a great beach to chill, or walk South for 15 min's to find the local surf spot.

Andy[/QUOTE]

HI Andy ..... Not visited here!! very frustrating cause can't find on any of our maps!! havn't googled it yet though .... using your local knowledge first ...please give us a clue!!
Thanks
B x
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

ziggi will become famous soon enoughziggi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MnB
[Mimiwhangata Bay, lovely walk around the head, and a great beach to chill, or walk South for 15 min's to find the local surf spot.

Andy
HI Andy ..... Not visited here!! very frustrating cause can't find on any of our maps!! havn't googled it yet though .... using your local knowledge first ...please give us a clue!!
Thanks
B x[/QUOTE]

Head North on SH1 out of Whangarei, take the Russel turn off and take Helena Bay turn off BUT stay on that road don't go into Helena bay. Quite a few Km's down that road you will come to a fork on top of a hill (it's the 2nd fork you come too, the 1st is in the valley below) take the LEFT turn off, it's narrow in places but okay for cars or SMALL campers. You actually park in DOC carpark at Okupe Beach which is sign posted and walk around to the bay, there's a DOC campsite in the bay or a lovely DOC beach house, but both have to be pre-booked and there's no over night stay at the carpark.

Google map - Okupe Beach and it comes up.

Andy

Last edited by ziggi; Jun 15th 2009 at 6:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.