Mobile Phone...

Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:55 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile Phone...

Can you guys advise what's the best option?

Prepaid or On Account? See I've already picked up some local sayings.. In UK we'd say PAYG or Contracts if you have forgotten (lol!)...

I miss my iPhone dearly... BUT they are expensive overhere plsu the package are not great...

What to do??
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phone...

I think telecom suck...but on prepay their text rates are better if you want to text across networks.
I hate account because I don't like to be tied to anything and you don't have the great deals here that you would have had in the uk anyway....
so
for me
prepay all the way with vodafone
don't telly anyone but I do have a telecom too that I use for out of town and because it has cheaper rates to landlines...I'm like a teen ager!
Welcome to NZ by the way
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:35 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Can I just ask. If you are on contract with someone like Vodafone who deal in the UK and NZ, can you take your contract with you (and them adjust the price). What do you do if you are mid contract in UK at the time of departure. Just contemplating upgrading OH's phone/contract but don't want to be faced with a bill in 12 months or so if we have to cancel cos of a move to NZ. At the same time, don't want to ditch plans of upgrade just in case we don't get to NZ ..

Sorry to jump in on this one but hope the info I am asking for is relevant to the overall topic.

Thx
Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:23 pm
Confuzzled

Unfortunate Username has a spectacular aura aboutUnfortunate Username has a spectacular aura aboutUnfortunate Username has a spectacular aura about

I had a friend who tried to have his Spanish Vodafone contract converted to a UK Vodafone one and they said no because they are essentially separate companies. I would assume it's probably the same with NZ Vodafone.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:34 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
Can I just ask. If you are on contract with someone like Vodafone who deal in the UK and NZ, can you take your contract with you (and them adjust the price). What do you do if you are mid contract in UK at the time of departure. Just contemplating upgrading OH's phone/contract but don't want to be faced with a bill in 12 months or so if we have to cancel cos of a move to NZ. At the same time, don't want to ditch plans of upgrade just in case we don't get to NZ ..

Sorry to jump in on this one but hope the info I am asking for is relevant to the overall topic.

Thx
It's a NO NO! I know that much... They are different companies and will quite happily charge you both ends!!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:55 am
Live from CHCH...

Not much help on the mobile phone front eh??

Guess I'll choose Vodafone... Or maybe Vodafone... Then again, I may look at Vodafone first eh??
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here's my $0.02 worth.
I use vodafone purely because they were the only GSM provider when I arrived and I already had decent phones for me and the OH. We're both on prepay and are not big users so probably spend $50 on top-ups every 3 months or so. The downside is I don't think you can roam internationally on prepay, but I still have a calls-only tariff Orange SIM that I can use for that.
Now that Telecom have their XT network, which is the most common 3G standard, you have two global-standard networks to choose from. My advice would be to do a realistic estimate of your usage and choose the network plan that works out best.
I would also bear in mind that local calls are free from a landline, and virtually free internationally using skype-out, so don't factor these into your usage.
Unless you make loads of calls and have a plan to match, the call charges are very high here so don't expect to spend hours per week on your mobile like you can do in UK
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

And just to add, you definately can't transfer your vodaphone contract UK to NZ, or keep the number unless you keep a PAYG or contract link to the UK. They are essentially 2 different companies and networks, with one less phone digit over here......
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute
with one less phone digit over here......
Don't get me started on phone digits..... there is no defined number of digits here in NZ, some have 9, some 10, some 11. Have no idea why though
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:24 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Thx for info about Vodafone. Just wasn't sure and was weary of starting new 18/24 month contract with anyone as wasn't sure about penalties of needing to end it early due to emigration, etc.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:34 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
Thx for info about Vodafone. Just wasn't sure and was weary of starting new 18/24 month contract with anyone as wasn't sure about penalties of needing to end it early due to emigration, etc.
We were under contract in the UK before we left and they suggested to me that we would have to honour it after we'd emigrated. To which my response was in their small print it said something along the lines of "if they were unable to provide the network service to you, you were able to cancel" ... problem solved!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:35 am
Newbie to NZ

gr8!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:07 am
Live from CHCH...

Lizaberry... Depending on how long you plan on sitting on the fence for it might be worth signing up for a new phone??

eheh

Just being cheeky x
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

You can roam on a VF prepay :0)
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:13 am
Live from CHCH...

Just signed up on Vodafone 24mths contract with new phone for $50...

$39.95 monthly charge is not too bad & should do me fine for now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.