Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Interislander Ferry

The Interislander Ferry

Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Interislander Ferry

Hi all

Left the South Island yesterday went from Hokitika to Kaikoura stayed the night then on to Blenheim for a while Jim met up with a he knows there stayed in Picton then got on the ferry OH MY GOSH NEVER AGAIN i spent half the 3hr journey being sick it was horrible so many people were being sick. Met a couple in Queenstown we had dinner with them at night coldn't believe it when they were on the ferry too!!!
In Wellington going on cable car and to museum then of to Palmerston North for the night. Napier on the 1st then Taupo for night and Rotorua for 2 nights then Whakatane and along bay of plenty.

Having a fab time can't wait to get home get everything sorted and get back
New Zealand but hate the bloody ferrry
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:02 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Interislander Ferry

Bad luck, you just caught it on a bad day

On a nice calm day the crossing can be beautiful.

Enjoy the North Island
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I like to go where everything is all raz ma taz and plenty to do. When someone says to me its unspoiled I say tell me when its unspoiled and I will go. However when we crossed from the North Island to the South Island my remark was "PLEASE DO NOT SPOIL THIS" it was a wonderful crossing and I hope you do it again in better circumstances.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

By the way don't don't forget to go to the Bay of Plenty and call in at the butchers shop in Papamoa. The location is in my signature.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it this rough? http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/video/suilven
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:23 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely don't write off the ferry! The trip is lovely. Sit at the front of the boat (outside if you can) and enjoy it.

I can't remember which boat it is where you can stand right at the front (Kaitaki?). It's the smaller one and you get throw the front door. Can do a whole "I'm the king of the world" scene from Titanic.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Tranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond repute

You were unlucky. We've made that trip many times and loved it. Some of the best scenary in the World, and if you go on deck near the sharp end, you often see dolphins racing the ship.

Wait until summer and give it another go!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
No but it felt like it
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:36 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it's OK tomorrow; our bestest buddies and godkids are crossing.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

The crossing is a great experience and well worth a go! One of the few times I went across the MET were forecasting 120-140 kilometer winds! Thankfully the wind was in the west. I hate to think how rough it would have been in a Southerly!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:26 am
Just Joined

kiwitoto will become famous soon enough

The Cook Strait (ferry crossing) is known as one of the roughest areas of water in the world.. but we crossed twice earlier this year and had mill pond conditions both times.. It is magic on a nice day.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:25 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yotty
O M G !!!!!!!!!!
i would die
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are some things that stay in your memory for ever and crossing from the North Island to the South and back was one of those. Maybe we where lucky as well.