British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The Interislander Ferry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/interislander-ferry-638313/)

AngelaandJim Oct 30th 2009 8:41 pm

The Interislander Ferry

Hi all

Left the South Island yesterday went from Hokitika to Kaikoura stayed the night then on to Blenheim for a while Jim met up with a he knows there stayed in Picton then got on the ferry OH MY GOSH NEVER AGAIN i spent half the 3hr journey being sick it was horrible so many people were being sick. Met a couple in Queenstown we had dinner with them at night coldn't believe it when they were on the ferry too!!!
In Wellington going on cable car and to museum then of to Palmerston North for the night. Napier on the 1st then Taupo for night and Rotorua for 2 nights then Whakatane and along bay of plenty.

Having a fab time can't wait to get home get everything sorted and get back :thumbsup:
:wub::wub: New Zealand but hate the bloody ferrry :thumbdown:

NakiMan Oct 31st 2009 12:02 am

Re: The Interislander Ferry

Bad luck, you just caught it on a bad day

On a nice calm day the crossing can be beautiful.

Enjoy the North Island

Margaret Parkinson Oct 31st 2009 12:10 am

I like to go where everything is all raz ma taz and plenty to do. When someone says to me its unspoiled I say tell me when its unspoiled and I will go. However when we crossed from the North Island to the South Island my remark was "PLEASE DO NOT SPOIL THIS" it was a wonderful crossing and I hope you do it again in better circumstances.:thumbup:

Margaret Parkinson Oct 31st 2009 12:13 am

By the way don't don't forget to go to the Bay of Plenty and call in at the butchers shop in Papamoa. The location is in my signature.

Yotty Oct 31st 2009 12:43 am

Was it this rough? http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/video/suilven

Kiwiprincess Oct 31st 2009 3:23 am

Definitely don't write off the ferry! The trip is lovely. Sit at the front of the boat (outside if you can) and enjoy it.

I can't remember which boat it is where you can stand right at the front (Kaitaki?). It's the smaller one and you get throw the front door. Can do a whole "I'm the king of the world" scene from Titanic.

Tranmere Rover Oct 31st 2009 5:52 am

You were unlucky. We've made that trip many times and loved it. Some of the best scenary in the World, and if you go on deck near the sharp end, you often see dolphins racing the ship.

Wait until summer and give it another go! :thumbup:

AngelaandJim Nov 1st 2009 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 8058936)

No but it felt like it :rofl:

P2L Nov 1st 2009 9:36 am

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: Hope it's OK tomorrow; our bestest buddies and godkids are crossing.

Yotty Nov 1st 2009 9:41 am

The crossing is a great experience and well worth a go! One of the few times I went across the MET were forecasting 120-140 kilometer winds! Thankfully the wind was in the west. I hate to think how rough it would have been in a Southerly! :rofl:

kiwitoto Nov 11th 2009 6:26 am

The Cook Strait (ferry crossing) is known as one of the roughest areas of water in the world.. but we crossed twice earlier this year and had mill pond conditions both times.. It is magic on a nice day.

spankysparkle Nov 11th 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 8058936)

O M G !!!!!!!!!!:ohmy:
i would die :eek:

Margaret Parkinson Nov 11th 2009 10:33 pm

There are some things that stay in your memory for ever and crossing from the North Island to the South and back was one of those. Maybe we where lucky as well.