Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I have finally arrived

I have finally arrived

Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have finally arrive

Originally Posted by suza712565
Hi, I really wanted to be in Bethlehem but nothing in our price range. Love the little café there.

Looking at Welcome Bay. I say looking because we can't get any where with the estate agents out here.

Where did you emigrate from?

Sue
Hi Sue,
Must admit we struggled initially. With a couple of months to go before moving there was like 5 properties for rent in Bethlehem but only a couple suitable. We managed to secure one without viewing in person just by sheer luck. Kind of just regularly kept in touch with an agent here giving her lots of info about us with pics, description of jobs etc and she must have just taken a liking to us and so offered us the 2 properties we were considering over people she had met and who had viewed the properties in person.
It probably swung it that my wife was a nurse and we had a toddler in tow - can't believe it was my good looks ha ha!
Yes there's a few nice cafes in the area. The pub is really good also at Bethlehem shops. Good beer and food. Highly recommended.

We emigrated from Preston - NW England.

How about you - where from and any children etc. ?

Why are you looking in Welcome Bay and nowhere else ?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

JackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I have finally arrive

Hi, I really wanted to be in Bethlehem but nothing in our price range. Love the little café there.

Looking at Welcome Bay. I say looking because we can't get any where with the estate agents out here.

Where did you emigrate from?

Sue

Hi Sue...did you get my PM......Jackie
Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have finally arrived

Didn't get any response for a while. Now have a viewing on Friday. Fingers crossed

Sue
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow you were very lucky with your estate agent. How long have you been here?

I Went to Bethlehem today for a coffee and cake. Had a wonder around and shopped at countdown. Don't know what it is but I just love it there.

We are looking at Welcome Bay because of the school. I have 3 girls 6, 4 ,2.
I would move to Bethlehem tomorrow if we could find a house within our budget. $400 max as I'm not working.

We have come from Bedfordshire. Been here 4 weeks.

Sue
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jackie,

Not had a pm? I will pm you.

Sue
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow you were very lucky with your estate agent. How long have you been here?

I Went to Bethlehem today for a coffee and cake. Had a wonder around and shopped at countdown. Don't know what it is but I just love it there.

We are looking at Welcome Bay because of the school. I have 3 girls 6, 4 ,2.
I would move to Bethlehem tomorrow if we could find a house within our budget. $400 max as I'm not working.

We have come from Bedfordshire. Been here 4 weeks.

Sue
Yeah she was great.

Moved up on the 7th November 2014 so four and a half months now.

Yes Bethlehem shopping area is lovely as shopping areas go. I'm regularly there for a shmooz around and a coffee. Drove past today a couple of times after dropping my boy off at kindy but went to the golf club
Best cakes we've found is a Cronut filled with custard or cream - OMG heaven!!!

Ah yes. You'll struggle finding a rental for less than $450/$500 in Bethlehem. The one we landed was the cheapest we had seen in the area but it looked fine on the pictures. Convinced there was something wrong due to the price per week ($450) but it's great. It's only around 165 sq meters on a 650 sq meter plot but the price is because it's a private rental and not managed through a rental management company or agent. The owner just uses a rental agent to get the tenant then the agreement is drawn up between owner and tenant so we haven't had any dealings with the agent since we moved in.
The owner is also English. He's a dentist in Tauranga and been here 20 years. Lives in a big house in Tauriko and we've heard a rumour he also has another house not 30 seconds walk away ? Dentists must get paid well

Will keep my ears out for anything - why not email ALL the houses that are for sale in Bethlehem via TradeMe in your size range and offer to rent it for a year ?
They can only ignore you or say no. Worked for us in Wellington. You never know someone may decide to rent their property instead for a year or more ?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

I need to get into dentistry quick!!

That's great advice and I will definitely give it a go.

If only we could push our budget up a little more. We just want to make sure that we don't leave ourselves short.

I will give the cake a go for sure.

Sue

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Yeah she was great.

Moved up on the 7th November 2014 so four and a half months now.

Yes Bethlehem shopping area is lovely as shopping areas go. I'm regularly there for a shmooz around and a coffee. Drove past today a couple of times after dropping my boy off at kindy but went to the golf club
Best cakes we've found is a Cronut filled with custard or cream - OMG heaven!!!

Ah yes. You'll struggle finding a rental for less than $450/$500 in Bethlehem. The one we landed was the cheapest we had seen in the area but it looked fine on the pictures. Convinced there was something wrong due to the price per week ($450) but it's great. It's only around 165 sq meters on a 650 sq meter plot but the price is because it's a private rental and not managed through a rental management company or agent. The owner just uses a rental agent to get the tenant then the agreement is drawn up between owner and tenant so we haven't had any dealings with the agent since we moved in.
The owner is also English. He's a dentist in Tauranga and been here 20 years. Lives in a big house in Tauriko and we've heard a rumour he also has another house not 30 seconds walk away ? Dentists must get paid well

Will keep my ears out for anything - why not email ALL the houses that are for sale in Bethlehem via TradeMe in your size range and offer to rent it for a year ?
They can only ignore you or say no. Worked for us in Wellington. You never know someone may decide to rent their property instead for a year or more ?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I need to get into dentistry quick!!

That's great advice and I will definitely give it a go.

If only we could push our budget up a little more. We just want to make sure that we don't leave ourselves short.

I will give the cake a go for sure.

Sue
What sort of rental contract have you got now - Fixed or periodic ?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Got to give 3 weeks notice

Sue

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
What sort of rental contract have you got now - Fixed or periodic ?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:46 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes but how long is the contract?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

No contract
Originally Posted by MrsFychan
yes but how long is the contract?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 3:04 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry but thats a bit worrying?

so where is your bond going, how can you confirm you will get it back, what is their timeline to tell you to leave, what condition are you to leave the property in, who is paying the rates, who is responsible for any repairs?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Sorry. Yes we do have a contract. Busy, stressful day today.

Sue