Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How safe do you feel?

How safe do you feel?

Old Nov 21st 2015, 11:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: How safe do you feel?

The Beirut attack was in the usual UK newspapers as well as the BBC , which is where I saw it.

Mali has also made the UK news.

Jonah Lomu also made the BBC news as well as the Telegraph and the like.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 11:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
Now that is interesting. I hadn't even realised there was an attack in Beirut last week and hadn't heard of Jonah. You could say therefore that the uk media is insular too as this attack didn't affect us but IS definitely does
Are you serious?

There was a lot of coverage of both the Beirut attack and about Jonah Lomu in the UK media.

Seems you are pretty selective about what you notice
Old Nov 21st 2015, 5:58 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
That resonates for me. Had weekly bomb scares living in the north-west, became a bit of a joke at times. Always wondered who would want to bomb St.Helens and then the bastards bombed Warrington. Got very used to evacuating shopping centre's, college etc.

I'm vigilant, I know a terrorist attack can happen anywhere at anytime. I don't let it change my plans, I'm something of a fatalistic but I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere just yet! I generally feel safer living here but I'm certainly not complacent.
Me too - Remember all the IRA stuff very clearly and was even on duty (worked in ED in Manchester the day of the Manchester bomb in 96) so always been aware of it happening anytime.

I was at the Vector last night and it was good and reassuring to see increased security there.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:02 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Damson;11799494]Now that is interesting. I hadn't even realised there was an attack in Beirut last week and hadn't heard of Jonah. You could say therefore that the uk media is insular too as this attack didn't affect us but IS definitely does.

Both of these stories were on the BBC News as I read it every day to get a better idea of what is happening out there. BBC also covered Mali, the vote on the NZ flag and the crash at Fox Glacier yesterday...generally the BBC cover everything.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Bit more security at the airports might be good. Think it's crazy I can board a flight with no security checks or human interaction if hand luggage only (chch-queenstown I think). It's sad we have to think like this but this is the world we live in now.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I do agree with you barnsleymat, to think that crime is less here is misguided. I have read about more murders here and closer to home than I ever did in the UK.
Finally, someone who lives in the real world!