Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How safe do you feel?

How safe do you feel?

Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default How safe do you feel?

As you may be aware, absolutely everything on the news at the moment is about IS, the atrocity in Paris and of course, the murder of tourists on the beach in Tunisia and the Russian plane crash. The news that at least one of the killers was hiding as migrant is stoking the flames still further. I'm just wondering what the mood is in NZ at the moment? Is it just viewed as a Europe-wide problem at the moment? Just curious.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 3:59 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe do you feel?

Feel very safe here generally. NZ news is only interested in world events if they can find a kiwi involved. Feels very removed from these events. More concerned about Lomu's death and McCaw's retirement!
Old Nov 19th 2015, 6:04 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Very safe. I have to say though, even during the IRA bombing period I didn't feel all that concerned. That was partly because I didn't commute into London (lived in SW London). I think I would feel safer living outside of the main cities. If I was in the UK still, I would probably move out of London, for example.

I think Australia is a risk because of their poor treatment of migrants and less tolerance than the UK or NZ.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 6:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I feel not to be slightly worried is impossible, NZ has its IS supporters.
Kiwis supporting Islamic State 'surprising' | Stuff.co.nz
Jihadi Mark Taylor one of two known Kiwi faces of Islamic State | Stuff.co.nz
Maori Muslim backs Islamic State | Stuff.co.nz

and it takes only takes one individual with a warped mind to think I want some of that action to cause mayhem in any country.

I am someone that has to watch/read the news at least a couple of times a day, having to watch before I go to bed but I think that comes from having moved from another country and the fact I have family spread all over the world.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 19th 2015 at 6:31 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 7:18 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Not worried at all.

To say that NZ is only interested in Richie McCaw and Lomu at present is unfair. There have been gatherings all over NZ to pay respects to those who lost their lives. The Sky Tower was lit up in the french colours, as was the New Brighton Pier in Christchurch. There has been a fair bit of talk about the events but no real worry that it will happen here. That's the impression I get anyway.

Terrorism can happen any where, no country is exempt. Having said that I know where I would rather be right now and it sure isn't Europe. People talk about NZ being isolated and stuck out in the middle of no where. I've always thought that was a plus point to living in NZ although some will feel it's not. I see it as a blessing particularly in light of recent events. Yes, terrorists can be home grown, heck they could be living down the road from me! Who knows? But if you have the opportunity to attack this side of the world take a look at Sydney or Melbourne. Both places have the same population in each of those cities as the whole of NZ so I see it as possible but unlikely.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Nov 19th 2015 at 7:24 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Yes, terrorists can be home grown, heck they could be living down the road from me!
Yes the Woodend mosque is a hotbed of fundamentalists!
Old Nov 19th 2015, 8:30 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Yes the Woodend mosque is a hotbed of fundamentalists!
I knew it! Is that why the old Woodend Hotel is being knocked down? Could be a potential mosque location
Old Nov 19th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting and I'm glad that you don't have the 24/7 "we're all going to die" atmosphere. I love the article about Mark Taylor. Forgive the pun, but what a weapon. I had to smile at the fact he burnt his NZ passport but then realised he needed one so had to apply for a new one. That's the sort of thing my kids would do in a fit of pique.

To give you an example of how bad things are here, my daughter is going to a careers fayre in Birmingham NEC tomorrow and 5 girls that she knows are staying behind because their parents are worried about security. Hadn't occurred to me (bad parent obviously!) but even if it had, I wouldn't have stopped her; you can't live your life like that. Having said that, I shan't be rushing to London anytime soon so I guess I am a bit of a scaredy cat. It's all a bit mad to be honest and we now have the French Prime Minister warning of a chemical or biological attack. Stop the world I want to get off.

Last edited by Damson; Nov 19th 2015 at 9:59 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a midwifes appointment on Saturday morning with my wife when the news started breaking about the goings on in Paris. I mentioned to the midwife about what was unfolding in Paris and that people were running around with guns, she said how she was so happy to be here in Dunedin where things like that never happen. I couldn't help myself, I said the same Dunedin where 14 men woman and children were murdered by a crazed gun man in the 1990's, where David Bain shot and killed all 5 of his family and more recently where a dad shot and killed his children and would have killed the mother too if she had not escaped.
Anyway, last weekend we had no internet so unfortunately we had to endure NZ TV. I timed how long it was before they crowbarred The All Blacks into a Paris terror attack story. It was less than 12 hours. Thankfully our internet returned and we can now watch proper news.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:40 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree with you barnsleymat, to think that crime is less here is misguided. I have read about more murders here and closer to home than I ever did in the UK.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 1:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have to say that I am with you Barnsleymatt.

I'm not sure who these people in the UK are that are so terrified either.

For all our lot up there in assorted parts of the UK & around Europe it is business as usual. Not read of one of them that has gone into hysterical panic mode. Cancelled their hols or Christmas shopping. Stopped commuting or are avoiding built up areas. None. The Dunkirk spirit seems as alive and well as it always was.

Yup. We got murders and violent assaults up here in sleepy ole Nelson too. We've had attacks against foreign visitors who looked wrong. We have weekend night-time ambassadors patrolling the few city streets to help ensure safety and peace as police can be thin on the ground.

Do I feel safe? Yup. As safe as I have ever felt wherever I have lived. UK or NZ. ..... with the exception of driving on the NZ roads.

Would I feel 'safe' if I lived in the UK right now. Likely yes. Been around long enough to have lived through all the assorted scares and panics that the media and governments dish out. I'm still here.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 1:48 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we feel very safe, at least from gun totting terrorists!

I have had to unfriend a few of my UK FB contacts, I was appalled by the right wing xenophobia being passed around.

And the world is turning its back in the refugees, the USA has just passed legislation that will make the already protracted process of applying for asylum in the US, almost impossible for Muslim refugees. Personally I wish NZ would accept more.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 1:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: How safe do you feel?

Safe from ISIS or the French? The last significant international terror event in New Zealand was actually committed by the French.

Like daddy long legs ISIS live in more fear of us than we do of them. Unfortunately we have yet to locate a glass jar big enough to cover northern Iraq and Syria. Also the Geneva convention does not make clear if we can use vacuum cleaners to clear up this mess. It's a real bind.

Last edited by Charismatic; Nov 20th 2015 at 1:58 am.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 2:27 am
She'll be right

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I was at a midwifes appointment on Saturday morning with my wife when the news started breaking about the goings on in Paris. I mentioned to the midwife about what was unfolding in Paris and that people were running around with guns, she said how she was so happy to be here in Dunedin where things like that never happen. I couldn't help myself, I said the same Dunedin where 14 men woman and children were murdered by a crazed gun man in the 1990's, where David Bain shot and killed all 5 of his family and more recently where a dad shot and killed his children and would have killed the mother too if she had not escaped.
There's a massive difference between a bloke shooting his family in Dunedin and full scale terrorist attack in Paris though don't you think?
Old Nov 20th 2015, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
There's a massive difference between a bloke shooting his family in Dunedin and full scale terrorist attack in Paris though don't you think?
Yeah, I live in Dunedin so knowing there's a lot of gun owning angry people willing to shoot innocent people scares me, what happens 12,000 miles away in Paris doesn't.
2 of the 3 incidents I mentioned were families, but the very famous incident at Aramoana where 14 people were slaughtered wasn't anything to do with families, just a random mass killing.
Too many guns in NZ, not quite the USA but still far too many.
As a animal lover I do enjoy hunting season here though, when hunters go out and shoot each other every year. It always puts a smile on my face!!!!!! Especially the drunk duck shooters shooting each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.