Reload this Page >

how dangerous in nz?

how dangerous in nz?

Old Aug 7th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how dangerous in nz?

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Sky, I know what that feels like. I had to pick my son up from central Nottingham at midnight last night. He is 18 but had forgotton his ID and couldn't get in anywhere. He told his friends he would get a bus home by himself. The bus was going to be 30mins so he called on the off chance for a lift. As you can imagine I was not keen but the thought of that poor boy in Liverpool came to my mind so I went to pick him up. When I got there he was being hassled by two much older men shouting football chants right in his face. I am so glad I went to pick him up.
He was in Wellington recently and said that everyone just seemed to go out for a good time, not like here to get smashed and have a punch up.
KAZ
So Nottingham is one big crimewave with everyone toting an automatic?! Funny, but my 21 year old cousin is at Uni there and loves it. As a student he lives in a less than salubrious area and is out and about regularly. Total number of times he's been shot/mugged/viciously assaulted/burgled etc? A big fat Zero! And that after 3 years. The statement that everyone in Notts go out to have a punch up is laughable but I guess forgiveable in one that finds everything about the place 'scary'.
I have lived in London, inner city Birmingham, Brighton and now a Sussex Town. I have NEVER been a victim of crime but have seen plenty of it of course. This constant moaning about Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham etc is tiresome.It makes me wonder how so many people manage to live there and yes, some of them even LIKE it! Statistics prove that whilst you might 'feel' safer in NZ you are MORE likely to be a victim of crime than the UK. Where the disenfrachised exist there will always be crime and NZ is no different.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:40 am
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by muppetking
This constant moaning about Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham etc is tiresome.It makes me wonder how so many people manage to live there and yes, some of them even LIKE it! .
We like Manchester and I expect the other 2.5 million of Mancunians do too (well.. alot of them do I am sure) funny when you think about it.. lots more people in little ole Manc than the whole of the South island!! bloody hell.!! no wonder we always got a parking space over there
Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debs70
We like Manchester and I expect the other 2.5 million of Mancunians do too (well.. alot of them do I am sure) funny when you think about it.. lots more people in little ole Manc than the whole of the South island!! bloody hell.!! no wonder we always got a parking space over there
You couldn't pay me to live in the South Island! Not even a million dollars would entice me to live there.

Spent lots of time in Manchester, lived just 20 mins away, mind you we have a decent motorway network so anywhere is within reason eh?
So although I lived 'close' to Manchester I wasn't actually 'in' Manchester, lived in a sleepy little friendly village not far away.......

But used to visit at least twice per week, different areas of Manchester and NOT once, ever I have seen any trouble. Not denying its there, I am sure it is, but I never was witness to any.
Haven't witnessed any trouble here either in the last few years I have lived here, long may it continue!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

So Nottingham is one big crimewave with everyone toting an automatic?! Funny, but my 21 year old cousin is at Uni there and loves it. As a student he lives in a less than salubrious area and is out and about regularly. Total number of times he's been shot/mugged/viciously assaulted/burgled etc? A big fat Zero! And that after 3 years. The statement that everyone in Notts go out to have a punch up is laughable but I guess forgiveable in one that finds everything about the place 'scary'.
I have lived in London, inner city Birmingham, Brighton and now a Sussex Town. I have NEVER been a victim of crime but have seen plenty of it of course. This constant moaning about Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham etc is tiresome.It makes me wonder how so many people manage to live there and yes, some of them even LIKE it! Statistics prove that whilst you might 'feel' safer in NZ you are MORE likely to be a victim of crime than the UK. Where the disenfrachised exist there will always be crime and NZ is no different.

No Nottingham is not one big crime wave, but it does have a very big youth aggression problem and lots of fights etc after the friday binge drink night. Yes lots of people do like living here, it is if you are careful a great city for students. Prehaps your cousin was very careful or lucky. One of my students not so lucky last year when a car full of youths stopped outside the student union building and beat up a group of our students. The student I now help was left in a coma, now has metal plates in his face, cannot see out of one eye and is now epileptic.
But I hear Surrey is a lovely part of England, enjoy it!
KAZ
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
No Nottingham is not one big crime wave, but it does have a very big youth aggression problem and lots of fights etc after the friday binge drink night. Yes lots of people do like living here, it is if you are careful a great city for students. Prehaps your cousin was very careful or lucky. One of my students not so lucky last year when a car full of youths stopped outside the student union building and beat up a group of our students. The student I now help was left in a coma, now has metal plates in his face, cannot see out of one eye and is now epileptic.
But I hear Surrey is a lovely part of England, enjoy it!
KAZ
NZ has its youth problems does it not? Suicide? Heavy drug use? Road deaths? Random violence? What's your point? I recall numerous instances whilst in NZ of police officers having to leave certain areas dominated by large gangs of youths hellbent on drinking and causing mayhem for fear of being overwhelmed and 'dealt to'. Sorry you can't see this as an international problem but prefer to paint it as a specific problem for parts of the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:57 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

This problem is definately an International one but for now it seems that Christchurch is having an unusually bad time with it right now.
Heres a few lines out of todays paper that might interest you.

A gang of at least 50 youths, some as young as 12, is terrorising and attacking residents in a Christchurch suburb.

Members of the new gang , calling themselves Respecting Brown Colours, or RBC, are being investigated by police after a teenager was attacked with a hammer outside The Palms mall in Shirley several weeks ago.

It is believed the gang is predominantly European, despite its name. Members wear brown clothes, bags, hats or bandannas as a show of allegiance.

"Other young people are scared of them and some might rather be with them than against them," he said.

Kindred said it was unclear exactly how many teenagers were involved, but it was unlikely they would stay together long.

"In a year or two, they might have split up," he said.

not all that encouraging to read they "may" have split up in a year or two is it?? Lets hope they get a grip on it soon, its just too scary to think about & Im glad these things didnt happen when my kids were growing up there as that was our local shopping mall:scared:
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:39 pm
livewire

Sounds a bit like the Mongrel Mob and other NZ gangs, some of which must be pensioners by now, lol!!

Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shepslady
This problem is definately an International one but for now it seems that Christchurch is having an unusually bad time with it right now.
Heres a few lines out of todays paper that might interest you.

A gang of at least 50 youths, some as young as 12, is terrorising and attacking residents in a Christchurch suburb.

Members of the new gang , calling themselves Respecting Brown Colours, or RBC, are being investigated by police after a teenager was attacked with a hammer outside The Palms mall in Shirley several weeks ago.

It is believed the gang is predominantly European, despite its name. Members wear brown clothes, bags, hats or bandannas as a show of allegiance.

"Other young people are scared of them and some might rather be with them than against them," he said.

Kindred said it was unclear exactly how many teenagers were involved, but it was unlikely they would stay together long.

"In a year or two, they might have split up," he said.

not all that encouraging to read they "may" have split up in a year or two is it?? Lets hope they get a grip on it soon, its just too scary to think about & Im glad these things didnt happen when my kids were growing up there as that was our local shopping mall:scared:
What a shame. Shirley Mall had just been developed when we left and we really liked what they had done. Very modern and bright. Great Cinemas and bars too. However, I had experience of the local kids through the Primary School and it wasn't good!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:57 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame. Shirley Mall had just been developed when we left and we really liked what they had done. Very modern and bright. Great Cinemas and bars too. However, I had experience of the local kids through the Primary School and it wasn't good!
Agree The Palms (Shirley mall as you call it) is one of the nicest malls in Christchurch. The bars especially great offering superb meals. I hope they get this situation under control soon before things get out of hand any further & anyone else is hurt. Its ridiculous to think a bunch of kids can terrorise the place like that isnt it. Funny how its the younger kids that have a way of spoiling it for others isnt it but nothing a good kick in the rear end wouldnt fix
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Agree The Palms (Shirley mall as you call it) is one of the nicest malls in Christchurch. The bars especially great offering superb meals. I hope they get this situation under control soon before things get out of hand any further & anyone else is hurt. Its ridiculous to think a bunch of kids can terrorise the place like that isnt it. Funny how its the younger kids that have a way of spoiling it for others isnt it but nothing a good kick in the rear end wouldnt fix
Amen to that sister!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame. I had experience of the local kids through the Primary School and it wasn't good!
An International problem so I am told
KAZ
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
You couldn't pay me to live in the South Island! Not even a million dollars would entice me to live there.
Hi rascal - am interested as to why?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:22 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi rascal - am interested as to why?
Joshlin I wouldnt be too concerned about things like this, its just one of those things. Most South Islanders couldnt be persuaded to live in the North Island either. I love taking vacations in the North but no amount of money could make me live there so guess its all roundabouts & swings huh?
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:33 am
Just Joined

dustinthewind is an unknown quantity at this point

Joshlin I wouldnt be too concerned about things like this, its just one of those things. Most South Islanders couldnt be persuaded to live in the North Island either. I love taking vacations in the North but no amount of money could make me live there so guess its all roundabouts & swings huh?

Awwww come on now Sheps whats wrong with living in the big smoke enjoying the rat race Have lived in both but the south suits me better & thats not saying I didnt enjoy the North.
Ive just spent the last couple of weeks in Auckland & surrounding areas & that was enough to make me remember why I moved South. Thought the first couple of days were great, gave me a chance to hang out at my old haunts etc, caught up with some old mates but it got old real quick & am happy to say theres no place like home & Im one happy chappy to be back with the family again in my little corner of the world.

BTW Sheps I didnt see your sisters OH at the club last night & heard whispers that they are off slumming it in Oz again. Its a great life they lead huh? Must be nice to take as many overseas vacations as those two
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:06 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

I have lived in Brighton, Plymouth, Jersey, Sydney and Auckland and the only time I have been a victim of crime was in Auckland when some little @*!* broke into my car and stole my sunnies that were in the glovebox! That and the road rage in Auckland is unbelieveable. I had a nutter try run me off the road because he didnt like me filtering in front of him when 2 lanes went down to 1 and I was a car length in front of him..wouldnt suprise me if he was on P

Last edited by Carkedit; Aug 23rd 2005 at 7:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.