Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

how dangerous in nz?

how dangerous in nz?

Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:22 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how dangerous in nz?

Originally Posted by rupert_pumpkin
i know it's a difficult question to answer, but i was just wondering?

i'm from glasgow which has a reputation as being v dangerous but it isn't really, normally you can talk your way out of any situation, it's only certain area's which normal people avoid where random kickings occur. is it the same in nz?
Its funny how Glasgow still has that reputation when there are much scarier places in the UK.

Whilst in NZ I never witnessed any trouble but yes some areas looked very dodgy and certain types of peeps hanging around.

But saying that I work in Easterhouse, and have worked in the Gorbals, Parkhad and Bridgeton and again never witnessed any trouble, yes its there but never seen it. My job involves going out and about visiting anti social complants etc and again never felt threatended.

Trouble is anywhere and everywhere I am just lucky never to have witnessed any trouble or been a victim (off now in visits to heres hoping I dont eat my words haha)
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:45 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dustinthewind
Hi
NZ is as safe as other places but it can be just as bad as others too. It really depends on the areas you want to hang out in. Im sure most countries around the world all have their so called crime hot spots as does NZ. Once you are familiar with the area you soon learn where not to go etc. Some places are fine until it gets dark & then the scum seems to come out of the woodwork. I personally wouldnt be too worried about it because it doesnt take too long to figure it out for yourself.
All I can advise is to do lots of investigating before you sign any leases or offers on houses etc. First hand impressions are always best IMHO too but I know in some case that is not always easy.

As for the accents that always brings a smile to my dial. Was down the working mens club the other night & had a real laugh when I realised our little drining school was like a little league of nations. 3 Poms, 2 Irish, 1 scottish bloke, 1 yank, 1 welshman, 2 australians & 3 Kiwis. Now if you werent used to that the accents flying around the table were amazing but surprisingly we all understand each other & always have a lot of laughs. Lord knows what anyone else in the bar thinks when we all get to talking & telling jokes. Our UK mates can sure spin a good yarn when they want too & I can tell you they are all so darn funny. Once they start on telling jokes there is no stopping them
Sounds like a fab night out and made me laugh the way you wrote it fantastic!
Jealous of you having so many mates
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:59 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveNZ
Agree with most of the above. I used to live in the centre of Manchester. I almost never went anywhere alone after dark - and I am a bloke. Out of all the friends I had in Manc - I was the ONLY ONE to not get mugged and threatened by some sort of weapon.

This was a fact of life. I was fully used to not carrying any bank cards (was common to get frog-marched off to the ATM and forced to give your pin and clear your daily limit) - got used to not carrying cash - or not to keep anything on you you couldn't afford to lose.

I consider myself relatively streetwise from that experience - and my "dodgy area" sensors are relatively sharp. I can honestly say that I've never rushed inside my house, or got into the car and immediately locked the doors whilst I've been in NZ. Granted - I do not go LOOKING for dodgy places, I don't spend much time wandering the streets of otara or the like after dark, but all in all... I really don't think that it's as easy to wander into a dodgy area here than back home.

Sky's comments are interesting.... It is VERY true that a lot of areas look kinda dingy and run down - especially the shops.... but it doen't take long to realise that your first impressions were way off! The 'average' kiwi house is on way more land than a house in the UK, and, unless you licve in a flat, houses are almost always "detatched".

In fact "terraced" houses are so 'odd' to the kiwi culture that the only time you'll find any - they are not even considered to BE houses - but "units" - flats.

but.... I digress.... Crime is everywhere - of course NZ has its share - but there's nowhere on earth you can go that does not have its fair share. All in all, I certainly wouldn't consider NZ dangerous - I feel far safer here than in any city in the UK.

Steve
Habit I know but I still lock the car doors once I get in. My sis years ago had some bloke just casually get in her car at a traffic light junction in the UK .. was in the early 80s, fortunately he just as casually got out again but it scared the shit out of her and me when she told me!
My son was mugged, kicked and beaten and stripped of all his designer clothes and watch, phone, money etc a week before we came here. He was ignored by passers by as he stumbled around confused and basically in his underwear so I was so relieved to be getting him away from it all but soon as we got here there was other stuff to worry about.
Weed, dope, is a biggy over here!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:20 pm

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

I can HONESTLY say that I have NEVER purposefully taken ANY recreational drug (other than Alcohol Caffeine and once getting spiked with speed....) and that includes tobacco.

However, I don't believe that weed/dope (ie marijuana) is any bigger a problem here than anywhere else. I also don't think your average weed taker would be in any way dangerous (unless you withold their 'munchies' )

The BIG 'problem drug' here is 'P' - or Meth-Amphetamine - it is CERTAINLY the 'P'-Heads who you need to worry about. THEY are the ones that commit the crimes to feed their habits - and also the ones more likely to use violence. I am unfortunate enough to have seen the effects of this - a little bit too close to home. (the drug use - not the crime or violence).

Still - I stand by this country feeling much safer than similar locations in the UK

Steve

Originally Posted by sky
Habit I know but I still lock the car doors once I get in. My sis years ago had some bloke just casually get in her car at a traffic light junction in the UK .. was in the early 80s, fortunately he just as casually got out again but it scared the shit out of her and me when she told me!
My son was mugged, kicked and beaten and stripped of all his designer clothes and watch, phone, money etc a week before we came here. He was ignored by passers by as he stumbled around confused and basically in his underwear so I was so relieved to be getting him away from it all but soon as we got here there was other stuff to worry about.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:41 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dustinthewind
As for the accents that always brings a smile to my dial. Was down the working mens club the other night & had a real laugh when I realised our little drining school was like a little league of nations. 3 Poms, 2 Irish, 1 scottish bloke, 1 yank, 1 welshman, 2 australians & 3 Kiwis. Now if you werent used to that the accents flying around the table were amazing but surprisingly we all understand each other & always have a lot of laughs. Lord knows what anyone else in the bar thinks when we all get to talking & telling jokes. Our UK mates can sure spin a good yarn when they want too & I can tell you they are all so darn funny. Once they start on telling jokes there is no stopping them
Hi Dustinthewind
Havent seen you around before so welcome aboard!!
PMSL @ your comments re your drinking buddies, reminds me so much of my brother inlaw in Christchurch. Hes from Manchester & drinks with a lot of guys from all around the world too. You dont drink at The Richmond Working Mens Club by any chance do you.Chance would be a fine thing though, I know they say its a small world but guessing its not quite that small. He does make me laugh though cos hes always describing things like that to my sister & tells her the place was "buzzing with foreigners" then she has to remind him he is a foreigner himself im sure he forgets that as hes been in NZ so long now.
The one thing I always find strange & amusing with him is he sounds like most other kiwis now but get him around guys from back home & he falls straight back into the english accent & my earliest memories of him were how good he was at telling jokes. Hes one of those guys that never forget a joke & carries them all off so well. Always the life of any party, lucky man huh?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:48 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Dangers in NZ......IMHO

1) Driving

2) Sun

3) Earthquake

4) Suicide (2nd highest rate of suicide 2nd only to Finland)

5)Volcano

6) Starvation (cos the foods expensive and the wages low)

7) Freeze to death in cold house,s

However if you are a child ....you are in danger from your parents.....according to the book "Slipping into Paradise". :scared:
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:28 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
Sky, that's awful, hope your son has been able to get over that OK. Awful that he got no help, but typical I'm afraid.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:15 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Sky, that is just appalling...how old was your son at the time it happened??

It is a sad sign of our times though that people are unwilling to help someone in distress sometimes in case they end up getting embroiled in the fall out if you follow me...like the man who would hesitate to help a lost child in case he was accused of being a paedophile...sad but it happens...
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:33 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
It is a sad sign of our times though that people are unwilling to help someone in distress sometimes in case they end up getting embroiled in the fall out if you follow me...like the man who would hesitate to help a lost child in case he was accused of being a paedophile...sad but it happens...
Your so right Pinkie about it being a sad sign of the times. My brother inlaw, the father of 3 sons & then finally a daughter was so afraid to take his little girl to the park to play in case someone thought he was acting suspiciously withe her Please any man should be able to spend quality time with his daughter/s & not fear people with think hes up to no good.
On the other hand I can see why some people are afraid to get involved too. My son when he was 22 came across a rather large pacific island man beating the crap out of his girlfriend. My son yelled at the bloke to stop it & take his frustrations out on something else. Brave but silly boy, the guy did stop but turned his anger on my son.....needless to say I got a call @ 3am to come pick him up from town cos he wasnt doing too well. Mum thought he was drunk & headed off to the appointed meeting place. Can imagine the shock I got when I pulled up to see my poor son proping himself up on a parking meter & his lovely white dress shirt covered in his blood. His handsome young face was a mess. Finally got him to agree to go to A & E with me. 10 stitches & a broken nose later we were heading home. He suffered for years with that nose because not only was it broken but the inside of it (cant reacall what they call it now) had collapsed causing him all kinds of breathing problems. Took us 2 years to finally get it sorted & operated on twice to rebuild it & get it right again. Im proud of my boy for going to the aide of a lady but sure wish now that he had looked the other way & I dont mind admitting that because he went to hell & back with his nose because of his bravery.....
Old Aug 4th 2005, 8:59 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Sky, that is just appalling...how old was your son at the time it happened??

16 yrs, I think folk thought he was drugged up or something cos he was confused from being kicked in his head. He didn't even have his shoes left. He turned up at my sisters door hours later she rang me and didn't tell me what had happened just told me to come get him. God I was so shocked when I saw him!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:11 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
16 yrs, I think folk thought he was drugged up or something cos he was confused from being kicked in his head. He didn't even have his shoes left. He turned up at my sisters door hours later she rang me and didn't tell me what had happened just told me to come get him. God I was so shocked when I saw him!
Poor kid must have been terrified Sky and I bet it didn't do you much good either!! Whereabouts did this happen in the UK??...
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:14 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
Even if he was drugged you'd want to help wouldn't you - how can anyone see a young lad obviously hurt and distressed and not help? We were in Piccadilly about three years ago, six at night, waiting for a bus which was late, on the way home from work, and three lads were fighting, two on one, and one of them got the lone lad on the floor and jumped (no exaggeration, he launched himself) onto the lad's head, twice. I was scared stiff, there's no way I could have gone near whilst he was being attacked, but after the two ran off I wanted to go over and help him, he was in a mess on the ground, but luckily two men, obviously on their way home because they were still in suits, went to help him. One of them put his jacket over the lad, it was probably very expensive and was getting soaked but he didn't care, he just helped him. They stayed with him until the ambulance came, then one of them went with him. Even when the two attackers came back 10 mins later with yet another lad, the two blokes didn't leave the hurt lad on the ground, and the attackers just stood and watched until the ambulance came, then disappeared. These good samaritans were only young, and pretty weedy to be honest, but they did brilliantly. The scariest thing was, the police didn't turn up, even though someone had called them.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Sky, I know what that feels like. I had to pick my son up from central Nottingham at midnight last night. He is 18 but had forgotton his ID and couldn't get in anywhere. He told his friends he would get a bus home by himself. The bus was going to be 30mins so he called on the off chance for a lift. As you can imagine I was not keen but the thought of that poor boy in Liverpool came to my mind so I went to pick him up. When I got there he was being hassled by two much older men shouting football chants right in his face. I am so glad I went to pick him up.
He was in Wellington recently and said that everyone just seemed to go out for a good time, not like here to get smashed and have a punch up.
KAZ
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:37 am
Just Joined

dustinthewind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shepslady
Hi Dustinthewind
Havent seen you around before so welcome aboard!!
PMSL @ your comments re your drinking buddies, reminds me so much of my brother inlaw in Christchurch. Hes from Manchester & drinks with a lot of guys from all around the world too. You dont drink at The Richmond Working Mens Club by any chance do you.Chance would be a fine thing though, I know they say its a small world but guessing its not quite that small. He does make me laugh though cos hes always describing things like that to my sister & tells her the place was "buzzing with foreigners" then she has to remind him he is a foreigner himself im sure he forgets that as hes been in NZ so long now.
The one thing I always find strange & amusing with him is he sounds like most other kiwis now but get him around guys from back home & he falls straight back into the english accent & my earliest memories of him were how good he was at telling jokes. Hes one of those guys that never forget a joke & carries them all off so well. Always the life of any party, lucky man huh?
Thanks Shepslady!
Guess the world just got smaller for you then cos YES I do drink at The Richmond Club....I will PM you to see if I know your bro inlaw. Dont want to bore others with that info. Sounds a mite scary to me though
Old Aug 5th 2005, 2:28 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Sky, I know what that feels like. I had to pick my son up from central Nottingham at midnight last night. He is 18 but had forgotton his ID and couldn't get in anywhere. He told his friends he would get a bus home by himself. The bus was going to be 30mins so he called on the off chance for a lift. As you can imagine I was not keen but the thought of that poor boy in Liverpool came to my mind so I went to pick him up. When I got there he was being hassled by two much older men shouting football chants right in his face. I am so glad I went to pick him up.
He was in Wellington recently and said that everyone just seemed to go out for a good time, not like here to get smashed and have a punch up.
KAZ
Gee Kaz that doesnt sound good, glad you went & picked the lad up. Doesnt make me feel too good either cos my middle son is in Nottingham & I worry myself sick over him now without knowing that but he often jokes with me that he lives in the gun capital of the UK & mentions things that I thought were just to shock me but now I realise there must be some truth to it

There might be a lot of party goers & drunks on the streets at home but still feel reasonable safe out & about at night!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.