Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A house in Auckland-or an island in fiji or norway

A house in Auckland-or an island in fiji or norway

Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A house in Auckland-or an island in fiji or norway

There is no reason not to be optimistic about Auckland property at the moment.

We have no reason to believe the local or central government will intervene in any meaningful way in opening up development to increase supply, Auckland is attracting younger skilled and affluent people into the job market, there is no incentive for major employers to diversify away from Auckland and the OCR is at an historic low.

Until one or more of those factors change it's inevitable the price bubble will continue to inflate.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A house in Auckland-or an island in fiji or norway

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
I believe Sydney and Melboirne are very pricey now.
Sydney is ridiculous, and not a lot of detached housing stock in the Eastern/Northern suburbs unless you pay big dollars (lots of units/apartments)

Melbourne - want to live within 10-15km of the city in a 3-4 bedroom traditional family home in a good area? Starts at $1m+
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

We have been researching housing in some depth around both Auckland and Hamilton recently. But doesn't appear to be anything unusual. Hate to say it, but Auckland is the Capital (ok not on paper), but has the same pull factor. Just look at London etc (housing has risen in price exponentially over the last 10 years- supply and demand for employment needs) or for that matter any other major/ capital city. Supply/demand will always be the deciding factor. (look at SE of England).
In terms of Politicians cashing in on it. I'd be more concerned if they were selling up....?
The only saving grace will be that this could ripple out to outlying areas (think South Auckland/Hamilton etc), but unlikely to spread more due to poor transport connections for commuting, which lets NZ down very badly.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:21 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Yes, but what job are you going to do on your Fijian island to pay for your hammock, beer and Internet access?

Yes, Auckland housing is becoming difficult to afford. Many big cities are the same. I believe Sydney and Melboirne are very pricey now. I saw on Sky News yesterday that the average price of a property in London is £544,000. Obviously I'm not saying Auckland is the same as London - but they are both the biggest city in their respective countries, with the most opportunities and jobs. So they will attract people.

Plus, London has a good network of trains, buses and tubes to commute in from further out. Auckland's public transport is not brilliant, making living in the inner suburbs even more attractive.
Well I own the island and the resort so the tourists pay for my beer and hammock - LOL
London is not as seedy as Auckland at night, Queen Steet is so seedy, full of crazy people and prostitutes in the walk downtown I've just had - and these two homeless guys were having a big fist fight - and not a cop in sight. I lived in London and did not feel unsafe walking around at night. London can't be compared to Auckland as not many people in the world know where Auckland is whereas most people have heard of London.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
Well I own the island and the resort so the tourists pay for my beer and hammock - LOL
London is not as seedy as Auckland at night, Queen Steet is so seedy, full of crazy people and prostitutes in the walk downtown I've just had - and these two homeless guys were having a big fist fight - and not a cop in sight. I lived in London and did not feel unsafe walking around at night. London can't be compared to Auckland as not many people in the world know where Auckland is whereas most people have heard of London.
Queen St is not all there is to Auckland. HTH.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
London is not as seedy as Auckland at night, Queen Steet is so seedy, full of crazy people and prostitutes in the walk downtown
London is far worse, many areas are just no go at night. Try living around Seven Sisters, Manor House etc. Also regular violence around drinking spots like Camden and plenty of homeless.

Need i also go on about the areas/estates run by Jamaican and Somalian gangs? The black on black shootings and stabbings? Muslim gangs in East London abusing and attacking non-Muslims?