Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ ( Dunedin) or Australia (Perth .Adelaide)

NZ ( Dunedin) or Australia (Perth .Adelaide)

Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

The Johnsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ ( Dunedin) or Australia (Perth .Adelaide)

Hi, I am a qualified medical nurse and me and my family are interested in living in New Zealand, or Australia, could you tell me what Dunedin is like and if you think it's preferable to say Perth, or Adelaide, our other choices.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: NZ ( Dunedin) or Australia (Perth .Adelaide)

Per my post to your Australia thread.

It would be best if you looked at your visa possibilities first.

Your OH is a plumber. Plumbers are not considered to be in shortage here in NZ at the present time. So , unless you had New Zealand residency ,any NZ employer is going to have to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take up that employment.

Work in this trade is picking up but there have been several slow and hard years . My husband is a time served plumber and gasfitter. That's how we know.

Also, your OH would really need to be deemed eligible for NZ registration to work properly in the trade. Please browse and contact the PGDB
This may well mean he needs to sit an exam and have a practical assessment. This may cost quite a lot of $$$.

The good news here is that Medical Nurses are in long term shortage here in NZ. You would need to become registered. Please read HERE
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I would add the following regarding you as a nurse.

A vast majority of Kiwi's struggle to get jobs in the "regions" i.e. places outside of Auckland and secondly Wellington.

They usually have to flock to Auckland for a while, then in a few years they sometimes get lucky and are able to get a role in the provinces.

I can name at least 10 nurses who have experienced this at North Shore Hospital in Auckland.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:42 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.kiwihealthjobs.com/#

Slightly clunky search function. But showing a number of nursing positions in our neck of the woods, Marlborough.

Most of the health care professionals we have met here are expats.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I know a company that's been advertising for plumbers here in Dunedin, they're a pretty big firm, I know the owner so if you want some contact details let me know.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

As someone who's lived in both Perth and Dunedin, I'd say there's no choice - Perth wins hands down any day!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Dunedin is tiny compared to Perth & Adelaide, just over 100k live here and those Aussie cities are probably 2m+ each. Dunedin is a very quiet city, nothing much happens and that's starting to eat away at me, infact living anywhere in NZ will seem pretty quiet so if that's going to be an issue pick one of those Aussie cities.

And with such a small population there's much less opportunities for jobs etc.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

We are a family of 4 who live just outside Dunedin, great schools for the kids, loads of activities for them including sports. Pretty friendly, cold in the winter (and we came from north of Scotland!) Reasonable house prices. If I was doing it again and we have only been here a year, I would choose Australia...
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I'd live in Perth over Dunedin any day (it's an odd comparison, probably Hobart would be a closer equivalent) you do have to take into account the cost of living in Perth and the summer heat. If you are not in mining, or getting mining wages you could find it horrendously expensive. Real estate, eating out and entertainment wise it's the most expensive city in Australia.

And whilst the weather sounds nice, 3 months a year of close to 40C is not pleasant. You end up living indoors in aircon.

And the distances to anywhere are pretty massive. You've got Perth and then around it pretty much nothing, unless you like deserts. (Dunedin is closer to East Coast Australia)