Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hoping to move to Wellington

hoping to move to Wellington

Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hoping to move to Wellington

Hi Riceman & Boopy
We have just had a job offer in welly and i'm trying to research areas and good schools etc. Can you help? If you can could you PM please
Thanks in advance
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

kandkboyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boopy
You would be more likely to find night work on paeds than neonates as there is a larger turn over of staff on the paeds wards. Wellington Hospital has recently been refurbished & is now very plush Night shift is also easier for parking & travelling into town. Have you sent your CV into CCDHB yet?
Haven't sent CV yet as we are with Geneva recruitment.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Hi Riceman & Boopy
We have just had a job offer in welly and i'm trying to research areas and good schools etc. Can you help? If you can could you PM please
Thanks in advance
Hi moonie, I just sent you a PM
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kandkboyle
Haven't sent CV yet as we are with Geneva recruitment.
Geneva is a very good agency ( I used to work for them )
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:06 am
Just Joined

kandkboyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boopy
Geneva is a very good agency ( I used to work for them )
thanks that's good to know!!!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kandkboyle
Hi, We are new to this, we are hoping to move to New Zealand, I am a registered nurse and my husband an OT , we already have our registrations sorted and are just waiting on the house to sell before we start Visa applications. We are hoping to move to Wellington (jobs depending) has anyone got any advice on areas, schools( kids are 8 and 5) rentals and shipment etc really trying to get as much info as poss! Thanks
Hi kandkboyle, we are also at the start of the process of moving to wellington, OH has been offered a job we are hoping to submit visas at beginning of April. We also have two kids, 7 & 10.
We have been trying for two years so we already have lots of info. Shipping is between PSS and Pickfords so we are about to try some haggling to get a better price.
Below is from a friend of mine who already lives in Welly

as for areas, it will really depends on what you want, and what life style you want.. where we live Maungaraki, is on a hill, but the train station is only 5mins down the hill, there is a bus that takes you there too.. on the train it onlyl takes 10-12 mins to get to CBD from Petone stations, parking your car is free at the railway station, so A LOT of people jst drtive to the station, park and ride the train..

there is also a school down the road from us, about 10-15mins walk down the hill.. our area is Maungaraki.. how old are your boys? as this school goes to Year 8 which is when they're around 12yrs old or 13yrs old.. then they go to college..

Porirua way is nice too, its the other side of the motorway, there are also regular trains.. the further up north you go (ie. after porirua) you'll get views of the harbour.. i htink porirua is slightly further away from CBD compared to Lower hutt and Maungaraki.. just check the map..

also when you're looking at school, check this site www.ero.govt.nz
it has all the ministry of education reports/reviews of schools.. in the report you'll find a rating for (Decile) with a number next to it.. the highest (better) is 10, and of course lowest is 1.. this apart from being an indication to government funding to the school, it is also a reflection on socio-economic making of that area and students.. so the norm here in NZ is to try and go for the highest rating possible, and of course government schools are all (zoned) so if you're ont in the zone, you're not guaranteed a spot at the spot (students in the zone have the priority), however if you are living in the zone, then you have the guarantee to be taken into that school.

so if you want to search an area, check wht schools are in their zone, and then check the report in ERO for more info about the school and the decile rating, then you could make a decision based on this..

so as i mentioned earlier, it really depends on what you want out of your life here in NZ ������

we are more than happy of course to give you options and you can maek your decisions, but of course you wont be able to make such decisions before you're actually here, and are able to have a feel for the place..

We have started to try and look but it is so confusing so I think we will do bit by bit, get motel for when we arrive, then spend a couple of weeks driving around looking at rentals, find a rental then check the school. I gather the admissions process is very quick once you apply. One school we spoke with said, you can just rock up!

Keep in touch and we'll have a coffee when we get there

Last edited by moonie2011; Mar 4th 2013 at 10:49 am.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

My wife is due to start at Wellington Hospital early April and my daughter and I (she's 5) are arriving early May. As my wife will be working on-call at the hospital, we are looking at areas close enough for her be able to respond if required. Maungaraki, Porirua and Lower Hutt have been mentioned by a few posters, are they good areas? Are the schools in the areas good. We are aware of the decile system, and we're hoping for a school with before & after school clubs. Any suggestions?

Also, we have accessed some rental apps on our phones here, would you recommend trademe.nz above the apps? Does trademe have more private rentals?

Many thanks and apologies for hijacking the thread!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S_and_T
My wife is due to start at Wellington Hospital early April and my daughter and I (she's 5) are arriving early May. As my wife will be working on-call at the hospital, we are looking at areas close enough for her be able to respond if required. Maungaraki, Porirua and Lower Hutt have been mentioned by a few posters, are they good areas? Are the schools in the areas good. We are aware of the decile system, and we're hoping for a school with before & after school clubs. Any suggestions?

Also, we have accessed some rental apps on our phones here, would you recommend trademe.nz above the apps? Does trademe have more private rentals?

Many thanks and apologies for hijacking the thread!
Trademe is the best source for all rentals. The only way to get one otherwise is to 'be in the know' and it not get advertised at all.
If you are 'on call' how quickly do you have to get in? Suburbs in Wellington itself would allow 10-15 mins into the hospital which is in Newtown.
The decile ratings of the schools will accurately throw up the areas to avoid as someone else said. Can be harder to spot than in UK as most houses are detached in NZ.
Bear in mind the feeder Senior schools too as time flies!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

Thanks luvwelly. Anywhere which you would recommend avoiding....for whatever reason?