British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   hoping to move to Wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hoping-move-wellington-784265/)

kandkboyle Jan 18th 2013 1:52 pm

hoping to move to Wellington

Hi, We are new to this, we are hoping to move to New Zealand, I am a registered nurse and my husband an OT , we already have our registrations sorted and are just waiting on the house to sell before we start Visa applications. We are hoping to move to Wellington (jobs depending) has anyone got any advice on areas, schools( kids are 8 and 5) rentals and shipment etc really trying to get as much info as poss! Thanks :D

simonmarkellis Jan 18th 2013 10:00 pm

Re: hoping to move to Wellington

Originally Posted by kandkboyle (Post 10490923)
Hi, We are new to this, we are hoping to move to New Zealand, I am a registered nurse and my husband an OT , we already have our registrations sorted and are just waiting on the house to sell before we start Visa applications. We are hoping to move to Wellington (jobs depending) has anyone got any advice on areas, schools( kids are 8 and 5) rentals and shipment etc really trying to get as much info as poss! Thanks :D

There are many nice area's in the wellington region to choose from and a lot depends on what you're looking for in your planned lifestyle to help you choose the best area.

www.trademe.co.nz is a good starting point to look for rentals in the region.

I biased towards Porirua (Whitby) 20-30 mins to the CBD, 20-30 mins to the Kapiti Coast, 20-30 mins to the Hutt Valley, beach five mins away, shops 10 mins, good schools for 5-13 yr olds, though you need to look further afield for schools for yrs 14-18...

Boopy Jan 19th 2013 1:33 am

Hi there & welcome to the forum. I'm an RN in Wellington, been here 7 years. Also living in the Porirua area & love it. If I can be of help just shout. Where are you looking to work? :)

kandkboyle Jan 20th 2013 6:11 pm

I am currently a sister on a neonatal unit and have been for 12 years so that is the area I love, however wouldn't mind going back to children's nursing either. What is the chances of night contracts over there, it just works better with child care with my husband working days?:thumbsup:

kandkboyle Jan 20th 2013 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 10491785)
There are many nice area's in the wellington region to choose from and a lot depends on what you're looking for in your planned lifestyle to help you choose the best area.

www.trademe.co.nz is a good starting point to look for rentals in the region.

I biased towards Porirua (Whitby) 20-30 mins to the CBD, 20-30 mins to the Kapiti Coast, 20-30 mins to the Hutt Valley, beach five mins away, shops 10 mins, good schools for 5-13 yr olds, though you need to look further afield for schools for yrs 14-18...

Thanks for your help going to look into Porirua (Whitby) that sounds ideal for distances for work and lifestyle.

Nick Miller Jan 21st 2013 4:57 am

Hi KandDKBoyle

I was here 10 years ago with primary school aged children (I'm now back on my own - another story). We lived in Johnsonville which has 2 primary schools and is close to a couple of secondaries of a reasonable standard. It's also convenient for getting into Wellington being on the train line and rentals are reasonable. Having said that, the Whitby area is also nice. Further out, the travelling times into Wellington become a bit of a downside.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help at all.

Nick

simonmarkellis Jan 21st 2013 8:00 am

Originally Posted by kandkboyle (Post 10495087)
Thanks for your help going to look into Porirua (Whitby) that sounds ideal for distances for work and lifestyle.

Well if you need to know any info, just give us a shout...;)

Boopy Jan 22nd 2013 8:10 am

Originally Posted by kandkboyle (Post 10495082)
I am currently a sister on a neonatal unit and have been for 12 years so that is the area I love, however wouldn't mind going back to children's nursing either. What is the chances of night contracts over there, it just works better with child care with my husband working days?:thumbsup:

You would be more likely to find night work on paeds than neonates as there is a larger turn over of staff on the paeds wards. Wellington Hospital has recently been refurbished & is now very plush :) Night shift is also easier for parking & travelling into town. Have you sent your CV into CCDHB yet?

Boopy Jan 22nd 2013 8:20 am

I've just sent you a private message with some job vacancies for Wellington. Good luck :)

Boopy Jan 29th 2013 4:02 am

Hope you got my private message I had sent you :)

kandkboyle Jan 29th 2013 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 10511795)
Hope you got my private message I had sent you :)

Hiya, I did thanks, sorry haven't got back been on nights for last week and absolutely shattered I'll PM you.

riceman5 Feb 1st 2013 3:12 am

I live in Tawa. It has a great community feel about it and it's only about a 12 min train trip. So not long to get into the city without feeling the need to live in it. It's great also for all amenities.

Boopy Feb 1st 2013 7:55 am

Originally Posted by riceman5 (Post 10518492)
I live in Tawa. It has a great community feel about it and it's only about a 12 min train trip. So not long to get into the city without feeling the need to live in it. It's great also for all amenities.

How long have you been in Tawa riceman? I'm in Porirua :)

riceman5 Feb 1st 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 10518662)
How long have you been in Tawa riceman? I'm in Porirua :)

Hi, we have lived in Tawa now for nearly 21 years. I discovered this thread while doing a google search regarding home based child care.

Boopy Feb 3rd 2013 7:29 am

Originally Posted by riceman5 (Post 10518682)
Hi, we have lived in Tawa now for nearly 21 years. I discovered this thread while doing a google search regarding home based child care.

Hi riceman5, I have sent you a message:)