HI EVERYONE

Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HI EVERYONE

Hi Gmb & Helen & Dave, welcome the emigration roller coaster .
I too am a nurse, although I've been qualified for a scary number of years now having gone into nursing pretty soon after completing my education. I work in the community, which I love, 2 different part time jobs which manage to eat up a lot of my time, but I'm working with great people.
Helen, I'd seriously suggest that if you think you might want to go back into nursing get the Return to Nursing course done in the UK...it'd be easier & cheaper to do it that way & then you'd have a usable qualification when you get here. I've been looking at Return to Midwifery courses over here, I was a midwife for about 10 years in the middle of my career, then had children & I needed to move to a more predictable job in terms of hours. I let my Midwifery registration lapse. Anyway, finding returners courses isn't easy.....but maybe nursing's easier, have to say I haven't looked at it properly, so it might be worth doing some research yourself.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

gmb1771 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tomsk
Hi Gmb & Helen & Dave, welcome the emigration roller coaster .
I too am a nurse, although I've been qualified for a scary number of years now having gone into nursing pretty soon after completing my education. I work in the community, which I love, 2 different part time jobs which manage to eat up a lot of my time, but I'm working with great people.
Helen, I'd seriously suggest that if you think you might want to go back into nursing get the Return to Nursing course done in the UK...it'd be easier & cheaper to do it that way & then you'd have a usable qualification when you get here. I've been looking at Return to Midwifery courses over here, I was a midwife for about 10 years in the middle of my career, then had children & I needed to move to a more predictable job in terms of hours. I let my Midwifery registration lapse. Anyway, finding returners courses isn't easy.....but maybe nursing's easier, have to say I haven't looked at it properly, so it might be worth doing some research yourself.
Hi,
I would love to work in the Community. My placement at the moment is Community based and I find it so much better that nursing in the wards. In GB it isn't easy to get into community jobs. Did you have to do a District Nursing course prior to your job/do you have any information on how I could do a DN course in NZ?
from Gail.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

Hi Gail and Tomsk too

thanks for your replies

Gail - with so much available help via all the lovely people on expats we have completed all the relevant documentation and submitted the forms without the use of an agent (yes their fees are high) . we went to an expo in oct, filled our EOI in after that and submitted -the dates you can see on our timeline on the bottom of our post.

Tomsk- I am registered for life as a nurse in nz (worked there for 3 mths whilst travelling in 1998) so I am led to believe like here I need to do a return to practice course but am really not sure whether I want to carry on with nursing or try something else-which is why I havent looked into doing 1 here but it is something I have that I can take with me

good luck and ask away!!!

Helen
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Originally Posted by gmb1771
Hi,
Thats great that you heading off soon. Do you plan to work in the same line of work when you get there? I think the Bay of Plenty looks like a great place to work and live and bring up children. It seems to have so much more to offer than UK. Thanks for replying and good luck. from Gail.
Hi Gail - I will be, have a job with CPPS. I agree the Bay of Plenty looks and sounds wonderful. A lot of people on this site seem to have settled there successfully. Best of luck to you too.

HH
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Donna,
How do you enjoy living there and are you glad you did it? Are there lots of nursing jobs available and what line of nursing are you working in at the moment? Is it much different nursing in NZ compared to GB or is it similar? I have heard that it is much more relaxed there.
Thanks for replying and sorry for all the questions.
from Gail.
Yes we are really enjoyng life here, so glad we moved over. No intention of going back anytime soon! I am working in surgical, there are jobs available but not as many as this time last year.
Yes it is much more relaxed nursing over here, thats not to say we are not busy, its just not as stressed!
The basic job is very similar but I have found everyone so lovely and willing to help if you need it.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like and we will do our best to answer them.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Where did you live when in UK and is it everything you hoped for now that you are there?
We have settled in really well in the 5 months we have been here, hubby has his up and down moments at work, as he finds himself restricted in the things he can do on the ward compared to home, he finds this really frustrating!!!
I think it does`nt help that they had a ward shift around before he arrived and the job he was supposed to be doing is not what he is doing, he does not find the work where he is very challenging to himself, he feels that he is becoming very de- skilled, in his chosen field, he is however looking at applying for a different position within the hospital at the minute!!! So hopefully things will get better !!!
But i will say Bay of Plenty is Beautiful we are so glad we finally settled here !!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gail

Welcome to this friendly & helpful site.

I too live in Angus we are waiting for visa's to be processed.

Good luck with everything
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gail

Angela
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim
Hi Gail

Angela
Hi Angela,
Where are you planning on settling when you get to NZ.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MooMoo290373
We have settled in really well in the 5 months we have been here, hubby has his up and down moments at work, as he finds himself restricted in the things he can do on the ward compared to home, he finds this really frustrating!!!
I think it does`nt help that they had a ward shift around before he arrived and the job he was supposed to be doing is not what he is doing, he does not find the work where he is very challenging to himself, he feels that he is becoming very de- skilled, in his chosen field, he is however looking at applying for a different position within the hospital at the minute!!! So hopefully things will get better !!!
But i will say Bay of Plenty is Beautiful we are so glad we finally settled here !!!
Hi,
Sounds like the Bay of Plenty is where we should definately settle. Was your husband qualified for a while before you moved. Did he have to work in this country for some time before your move. Sounds very frustrating for him. Hope things improve for you.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:18 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks for replying. I hope your not having trouble selling your house with the recession. We aren't sure whether to put ours up for sale now and rent just in case it doesnt sell when we want to move. Its great that your OH is a kiwi-it must make the process so much easier. Where do you think you might settle? from Gail.
Went on market before Xmas had three viewings & one couple really really keen offer to start with was awful but they have come up £10k very reluctantly so we are just wondering take money & run (they rent so no chain) or wait for things to get busy as they do in spring and hang in for better offer

Yeah I was the only one that needed to apply for visa and all went through quite smoothly (if not expensive ).

Hubsters work will dictate where we end up did really want to go Tauranga way but may end up Welly

Dewb
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Sounds like the Bay of Plenty is where we should definately settle. Was your husband qualified for a while before you moved. Did he have to work in this country for some time before your move. Sounds very frustrating for him. Hope things improve for you.
Hi he was qualified for 2 yrs before we moved
Thanks im sure things will improve soon