Help Needed

Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

jogonpc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Needed

Hi,
This is my 1st post on this site, and I am turning to you for some assistance.
I have recently been contacted regarding Engineering work in East Tamaki (Auckland) area.
This has come out of the blue and I don't really know much about new Zealand or the area itself. I have done some background research online, but would like to hear from people who have been in the same position as myself.
How much deposit do you need to buy a house in new Zealand? what are the good / bad areas in and around where the job is? what age do children start at school, what are the medical insurance costs?
All help would be much appreciated thankyou.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Needed

welcome to BE.

might help people if you can give a bit more background to your situation.
Job offer out of the blue ?
What visa would you be applying for?
can you afford to move over?
do you have a house in the UK?
what would you do with it of you do?
how many children do you have and ages? - Children start school on their 5th Birthday.
Housing is expensive in Auckland compared to many other places, how far out would you be prepared to live for a possible better area (sorry don't know the area so this area might actually be ok),
what salary are you looking at ? - remember every cent is taxed here

In general cost of living is high and choice is restricted.

There are many threads about costs and Auckland so have a go at the search section tab at the top of the page.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ealand-845040/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ckland-844619/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...centre-840656/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ckland-844686/
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

We live fairly close to that area and there are nice places around. Rent you're looking at about 500-550 NZD/week for modest 3 bed house. To buy - I've no idea as just moved here but I'd guestimate 800,000 NZD would not be out of the question for something modest.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.
The job offer came through Linkedin from a medical company over in NZ, they informed me they have been trying to recruit in NZ, but have been unsecessful, hence looking oversees.
I would be applying for a skilled residents visa.
Unsure if can afford until i know some costings.
Yes i own my house in the UK, and would consider renting, and possibly selling if the move went ok and we all settled into NZ.
i have 2 young boys aged 1 & 3.
Would ideally be looking for 80 -100 thousand NZ dollars salary.

Fingers crossed this helps.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Desmondo
We live fairly close to that area and there are nice places around. Rent you're looking at about 500-550 NZD/week for modest 3 bed house. To buy - I've no idea as just moved here but I'd guestimate 800,000 NZD would not be out of the question for something modest.

800,000??? wow thats steep.
i have been looking between 300 - 400 thousand tops.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 17th 2014 at 8:03 pm. Reason: help with clarity
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:48 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jogonpc
800,000??? wow thats steep.
i have been looking between 300 - 400 thousand tops.
yeh - nah sorry

check out Trademe

Property search results - Find real estate on Trade Me Property
Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

Pretty sure kids don't have to start school legally until they are 6 years of age, however most parents choose to send their kids at 5. Both mine did on or just after their 5th birthday.
Yes Auckland is very expensive nowadays. We sold our house 10 years ago in Auckland and moved to the provinces where house prices are much more realistic and don't have a mortgage which has been a huge help to us recently, as main bread winner was made redundant last year.
Good luck with the possible move.