Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:12 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Originally Posted by dlmckay
What I meant was 2 x 12 hours... perfectionist!

I chose Air NZ as it took 24 hours to fly - the animals had a quicker flight than I did

Hehe

No in-flight meals for them though
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:52 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazz
Thanks to every one for the advice and the help. I feel easier knowing that there is no quarantine at the other end as I thought that there may have been a 30 day stay and my cat has never stayed anywhere away from home. My cat is a very nervous one to the point where she dribbles on the way to the vets and when there doesn't make a sound yet cries the whole way there. She is an only cat and am worried that she may not make it which would break my heart even though she is only six years old. Can anyone recommend a good company to go with and if there is an injection that can help her to sleep the way there so she wont get worried?
Mazz
Mate, that's how Tim was, although him and Buddy were/are 11.
At the end of the day though, she's a cat. You have to accept that you are putting her at risk, and hopefully all will go well. However, you can't put your life on hold for her.
There are choices we all have to make, but you can't ask the cat for opinion, you just have to cross your fingers and pray to the gods of your choice that she'll be okay.
Tim died before we left our house, and Buddy still had to make the trip, but we went ahead, she's here and happy, and so are we.
It doesn't stop us missing him and feeling immensely guilty that he died because of a decision we made, but he could just of easily been run over the next day.
We tried a cat from the SPCA here as a new friend, but it affected Buddy so badly that the kitten had to go back. However, she now is re-homed, but there are always plenty of cats here needing good loving families .
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

My cat had an operation a few days prior to flying (cruciate ligament!) and i was worried sick but they do generally just curl up and sleep! From memory it cost me 800gpds to get him over here with GA and the worst part (other than the wait and worry!) was getting him to do his poo samples!!!

Just as everyone else has said, they can't be sedated at all as it's too dangerous, but i believe that dogs get far more strung out than cats do.

I don't think i'd have come without my cat and he definately makes it feel like it's more of a 'home'!!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice

our cat was a very nervous, inside cat so we weren't sure what we'd pick up when we got to Auckland airport - answer: cat who decided she now owned New Zealand! She had five happy years there until she died last year. We shipped with Golden Arrow - and I admit seeing the boxes in the pics has made me somewhat weepy.

We also shipped her to Australia when we moved here in April - she was in a slightly smaller box that time!!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I kept the box! It comes in Sooooo handy for the vets, in fact even the chooks go in it!!! Everyone comments on how handy it is!