Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

mazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Hi its Mazz again. I was wondering if any one out there took a cat with them when they went to and settled in NZ. If anyone did I would appreciate some information .e.g. was there quarantine, how long, did it settle, etc.

Thanks Mazz
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

I brought three from Nottingham to Auckland...

If coming from the UK, no quarantine, however, they do need to have samples of their poop taken 10 days apart and each sampled. They need to be microchipped, fully vaccinated and wormed/deflea'd.

On arrival, the cats were quite wide-eyed, but settled quite quickly. I had an aviary to keep them in to start with and we've moved house since with no problems. All three cats are loving the sun!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

3jays is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mazz
we took both our two old male cats (approx 10 yrs old) as we couldn't bear to leave them in Scotland. The process to bring them over is involved but no more so than for people getting all their checks and clearances etc. There isn't any quarrantine from the UK as the cats get worm and parasite treatments before leaving UK, although from memory it was suggested that they have home quarrantine for 30 days after arriving.

we had a good vet that was really interested in the process, it costs a bit as you pay for vets fees each time they go. The vet needed to take stool samples from the cats and had to verify it was their stool (as if someone was going to go to the bother of switching stool samples with another cat!?) anyway, so that meant an overnight stay for one of our cats as they didn't "go" on demand!

I think they went to the vets for treatment twice, then they get checked over at the airport. You need an approved kennel to ship them in and they also had to get microchipped. They went on the flight the day after us - although they went to Heathrow the day before and were kennelled there before the flight. I think they have to be at the Heathrow kennels overnight before they fly out anyway, so that they get a final check and also they don't get food before flying I think. We had to take them to the cargo point at Edinburgh airport ourselves.

Picking them up was a bit more red tape and paying of some sort of fee, but we picked them up the day after we got here and just put them in a quiet room, leaving their kennel open, food out, newspapers and litter down etc. We kept them in the room for a day, then gradually let them out, but kept that room door open so they could run back to the kennel if they got spooked (as by that time it was familiar to them).

The best thing is that they have settled in fantastically well. In edinburgh they were inside cats, never really going outside but over here they like going outside in the garden and on the deck. So for them the move has been quite good!

Basically, if you are really fond of your pets I would recommend it as it does make you feel more at home to have your pets with you. It is expensive though, i think the cats cost more to bring over than myself, my partner and my son combined! It thing the company we used was something like Pet Passports, but there are a few companies.

sorry to drone on, hope this helps!

J
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We also brought our two cats with us. We used Airpets at Heathrow. The process was easy. They took the whole thing in their cat like stride with a touch of boredom slung in for good measure and they are totally luvin' it.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 9th 2007 at 11:41 pm. Reason: fumble fingers
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:30 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

We also took both our cats with us. Whole process was fairly straight forward and explained to us by the pet company we used (think was jets for pets). Both cats settled in very quickly in Wellington and we have since moved them to Nelson so they got nice ferry ride too ! Very very glad we brought them and they are both very happy cats.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:59 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

we took our 2 as well. We used Golden Arrow to ship them, as everyone else has said, there's a bit of faffing and a bit of cost involved, but it is so worth it to have them here. Our old lady was 19 when she made the trip - she's 21 now and still going.... if not too strong. I think you are supposed to have them inside for a month after they arrive - we didnt quite manage this ( well not at all really!) But there is no quarantine, you just pick them up from the airport and take them straight home. Ours settled with no problems. Then Binky went and got himself run over
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:46 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We borught our two cats over using Golden Arrow. They're having the time of their lives here!
They were only 18 months old when we first came over.

Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:01 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Rob, just out of interest - what are those wee brown things tied to the front of their cages? ours didnt have that!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:54 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Rob, just out of interest - what are those wee brown things tied to the front of their cages? ours didnt have that!
Poo sample?!!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:06 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Poo sample?!!

The brown things are their collars, wrapped in tape! GA removed them before putting them in the crates.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:10 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by karonious
Poo sample?!!
LMAO thats what went through my head cos it looks like it is!!

we took ours off before we left - thats why we didnt have the tape - thanks Rob!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Think of the cost !!

Why not just have a .................. new cat SPCA only $45 ?

Gill

ONLY JOKING ................ we have 2 cats.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:12 am
Happy in Wellington

I didn't fill in the EOI until I found out the cats could come with us.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:09 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Our boy died on the way to the airport, but he used to get stressed and hyperventilate on the way to the vet, just a crap traveller.
His sister is still going strong, and loves it here.
Just be aware that it is a risk you take.
Now she's here, not putting her through it again.
Picking her up from the airport at Hamilton was quite an emotional thing.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Hazeandsteve - OMG how horrible for you. We have 7 cats (if you say it quickly enough it doesn't sound too bad) and we are taking them with us. They are part of our family!

One of ours travels very badly, hyperventilates and stuff, sometimes foams at the mouth when he gets stressed. It frightens me that he might not survive the trip, and I have been wondering about what I could do now, to help make it easier for him.

Someone has suggested dosing him with Rescue Remedies, also using Feliway pheremone spray to calm him. I'm also thinking of just getting him used to being boxed and going in the car, and taking him out regularly. What do you think? Or did you try this with your boy?

Jane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.