Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:24 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone taken a cat into NZ?

Originally Posted by JaneAS
Hazeandsteve - OMG how horrible for you. We have 7 cats (if you say it quickly enough it doesn't sound too bad) and we are taking them with us. They are part of our family!

One of ours travels very badly, hyperventilates and stuff, sometimes foams at the mouth when he gets stressed. It frightens me that he might not survive the trip, and I have been wondering about what I could do now, to help make it easier for him.

Someone has suggested dosing him with Rescue Remedies, also using Feliway pheremone spray to calm him. I'm also thinking of just getting him used to being boxed and going in the car, and taking him out regularly. What do you think? Or did you try this with your boy?

Jane
Hi our cat used to be like that travelling, unfortunatly he died a year before we emigrated so cant say what he would have been like flying. But am sure being with his brother would have helped a lot.
I worked in a huge rescue shelter for cats back in the UK and I can tell you we had so many cats brought in because of owners emigrating, and they took so long to recover and come round from being dumped, we would have them on rescue remedy etc but still most would take months to be happy again. And picking up our cats from the airport and seeing them recover in a few hours just because they were with us again just made it all worth while. Ours settled so quickly it was unbelievable, cats are so versitile!
Def. try feliway and bach remedies such as walnut (for change) and larch for confidence. (there may be more suitable ones so have a read) and get him used to going in and out of the carrier, A LOT! and slowley if it always has good endings he will learn.
Maybe have a look at a good cat behaviour book!
Good luck!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi jane

i have a nervous cat although not as bad as yours, and when i rang lady haye they did inform me that both cats could travel together, which i know would be better for her, so i will have to make sure that this is possible with the airline. if so would this help your cat??

with regards

kirstie
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess with 7 all travelling, pairing them up makes a lot of sense - even though he doesn't have a litter-mate, I could send him with another (much calmer) moggie. I can't bear the thought of having to leave him behind, so I guess we'll have to work on making him more confident in the car. Keep the ideas coming in!

Thanks,
Jane
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

We have 4 stinkers (desperately loved) - how much much does it cost to take them?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

I had a quote last year for all 7, travelling in 4 boxes - came out at just under £3k. Sounds quite reasonable to me!

Jane
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

my quote for 2 cats from heathrow with lady haye was just under £1000 that was to Invercargill. its best to have a shop around i went with someones recommendations, it also depends on your cats size, one of mine is huge,
if you go onto the various sites there is a measuring guide as well.
i also tried pets oceanic but i know that other people on here have a lot of recommendations etc

with regards

kirstie
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

Their much better quotes than I expected - thought about 1000 each.

One of my cats (of unknown age as he is a rescue) has had poor health this year. He had a heart attack and died, needless to say the vet brought him back to life but I'm so worried it will be too stressful for him as he is an extremely nervous cat anyway.

I think I might get the vets advice nearer the time.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:20 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Ours cost about 700 each including a three week stay in the UK before flying out and all of the vet bills and stuff.

Plus a MAF inspection fee on landing of about $50 each
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JaneAS
One of ours travels very badly, hyperventilates and stuff, sometimes foams at the mouth when he gets stressed. It frightens me that he might not survive the trip, and I have been wondering about what I could do now, to help make it easier for him.
I sent Feliway spray with my cats, but it never arrived with the cats - probably lost/stolen/not even sure if it was used at the other end

Two of my cats are quite devoted to each other and I asked for a dual crate - they are still separated by wire for their own safety, but at least they are still close. I would recommend something similar for your nervous cat - pair him up with a cat that travels extremely well and he gets on with.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have the crate delivered early and make it his new bed, so that he's used to it by the time you travel.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:56 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by dlmckay
I sent Feliway spray with my cats, but it never arrived with the cats - probably lost/stolen/not even sure if it was used at the other end

Two of my cats are quite devoted to each other and I asked for a dual crate - they are still separated by wire for their own safety, but at least they are still close. I would recommend something similar for your nervous cat - pair him up with a cat that travels extremely well and he gets on with.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have the crate delivered early and make it his new bed, so that he's used to it by the time you travel.
I don't have cats (in fact, I don't even like cats), but the ideas above are something that I'd try if I was to ship cats. Good post.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
I don't have cats (in fact, I don't even like cats), but the ideas above are something that I'd try if I was to ship cats. Good post.
I don't mind cats but it does annoy me that they use my garden as a toilet. And they kill all the birds.

It's lovely seeing all the dog walkers round here carrying their little bags to pick up after their dogs. I've never seen any doggy do on the pavements round here. Or any stray dogs.

Why do cats have to crap on and scratch up my lawn???
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

mazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to every one for the advice and the help. I feel easier knowing that there is no quarantine at the other end as I thought that there may have been a 30 day stay and my cat has never stayed anywhere away from home. My cat is a very nervous one to the point where she dribbles on the way to the vets and when there doesn't make a sound yet cries the whole way there. She is an only cat and am worried that she may not make it which would break my heart even though she is only six years old. Can anyone recommend a good company to go with and if there is an injection that can help her to sleep the way there so she wont get worried?
Mazz
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mazz
Can anyone recommend a good company to go with and if there is an injection that can help her to sleep the way there so she wont get worried?
Mazz
Animals are not to be sedated during travelling incase it hides a more serious condition. To be honest, if you're in a warm, dark enclosure for 12 hours, wouldn't you just go to sleep anyway?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:56 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Animals are not to be sedated during travelling incase it hides a more serious condition. To be honest, if you're in a warm, dark enclosure for 12 hours, wouldn't you just go to sleep anyway?

12 hours? More like 32!

But you have a point.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobClubley
12 hours? More like 32!

But you have a point.
What I meant was 2 x 12 hours... perfectionist!

I chose Air NZ as it took 24 hours to fly - the animals had a quicker flight than I did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.