The Give Way Rule

Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Give Way Rule

Yep, it's more complex than the off-side rule

Just learn the correct answers for your test then forget all about it. It's worked for me
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:50 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

If, in a crash, you would get hit in the drivers door, then you in the wrong.

Or more nastily - if your passenger dies first you are sweeeeet
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:40 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

Thats about the clearest explanation of a crazy rule that I've ever seen. Maybe it is logical after all?????

Noooooo - its still crazy!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:49 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

in a twisted way i found that quite funny.

(death by RTA victim here before anyone jumps on me for being insensitive)
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

But just to complicate matters, if you are turning right and an oncoming car has their indicator on giving the impression they are turning left, do not assume they actually ARE going to turn left.... because I did that and nearly had a nasty accident - the oncoming car was intending to travel straight on and had merely left his indicator on accidentally....
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:29 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got caught out a couple of times by that too.

I think the trick is to do nothing until you see the whites of their eyes and ignore what the indicators are saying.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:58 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

classic one for roundabouts is ......
they indicate right as if they are turning right, than once on they indicate left to go off and they are driving staright through.

I'm usually sitting there saying "WTF ???!"

Just treat everyone as an idiot and you will be fine. Not hard to do with Aucklanders
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
I've got caught out a couple of times by that too.

I think the trick is to do nothing until you see the whites of their eyes and ignore what the indicators are saying.
Definitely..that's another reason its so stupid: you can't rely on it at all and you have to wait to see if the car coming towards you is going to turn or not because if they are going straight on, they have right of way.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:26 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
classic one for roundabouts is ......
they indicate right as if they are turning right, than once on they indicate left to go off and they are driving staright through.

I'm usually sitting there saying "WTF ???!"

Just treat everyone as an idiot and you will be fine. Not hard to do with Aucklanders
I think the Road Code says to actually do that! I can understand it if it is a super large roundabout and you are almost literally turning when heading "straight".

But I do think it is stupid.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:26 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

super large roundabout ??? what ... you mean The Basin ??
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:36 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
super large roundabout ??? what ... you mean The Basin ??
Nah, like the donut ones through tawa which you can just drive OVER!

Actually I was thinking of some of the ones in the UK. The size of some of those roundabouts (which have little roundabouts off it) was what I was thinking of.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:47 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, that if you're turning left, they're turning right, you're okay to go if the car behind you is going straight on. This is only because in order to follow the road code, you're as far to the left as possible so straight on stops right going......all clear
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:52 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Its a rubbish rule and bugs the hell out of me...:curse:
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:17 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

These two 'odd give way' rules are lame and gay and serve no purpose
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:42 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Wasn't confused before, but am now, perhaps its just too late to be reading this thread, I'll try reading it again tomorrow,,, maybe, !!!!!