The Give Way Rule

Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:40 am
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Give Way Rule

I have been doing these online theory tests and the give way rule seems to have me completely bamboozled. In the UK it is so straight forward but in NZ it appears that whatever I click on is the wrong answer and there are only 2 options.

I have heard of "Internet For Dummies" so howabout "Give Way For Dummies"

Anyone care to explain it in really simple terms
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:54 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Give Way Rule

easy,

If you turn left you have to give way to traffic turning to their right. bit like the roundabout rules.

Now saying that you need to be careful if you are the one turning right as

a) the left turning car may not give way (bloody tourists)
b) the car behind the car turning left will overtake that car to drive stright on, this causes a big problem if at that point you decide to turn right.

Just take it careful, overtime you get to understand it, just remember to watch cars turning.

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roa...way-rules.html

Clear as mud.

Oh, and don't feel too worried about being an expat. There's an unmarked crossroads in Hataitai (in Wellington) that I sometimes use and it's quite clear that nobody knows who has the right of way....

Last edited by Avid; Mar 11th 2008 at 9:57 am.
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wimpy
I have been doing these online theory tests and the give way rule seems to have me completely bamboozled. In the UK it is so straight forward but in NZ it appears that whatever I click on is the wrong answer and there are only 2 options.

I'll give it a go...

You have to give way when making a left hand turn if a car coming towards you wishes to turn right across you. If you are going straight ahead, you don't give way... there clear as mud!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

No-one gives way in OZ, it's each to their own here.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

The car doing the biggest turn gets to go first. My first experience of this was when a humungus lorry was turning left and I was turning right and he stopped and waved me to go when I hesitated...
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:09 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I'll give it a go...

You have to give way when making a left hand turn if a car coming towards you wishes to turn right across you. If you are going straight ahead, you don't give way... there clear as mud!
Actually that's all there is to it! </Brucie>

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
No-one gives way in OZ, it's each to their own here.
There ya go, much easier
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:10 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
The car doing the biggest turn gets to go first. My first experience of this was when a humungus lorry was turning left and I was turning right and he stopped and waved me to go when I hesitated...
Hi M! x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi M back at ya :-)
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:18 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

That's only half of the rule though, there's also the one about turning in/out of an unmarked side road which no one ever adheres to, you just need to know about it for the test and then forget, possibly forever.

It's quite possibly the most dangerous and illogical of all the daft New Zealand Give Way rules, and almost guaranteed to get you T boned if you ever do it.

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 11th 2008 at 11:26 am.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:45 am
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light

Blimey, from all these replies it seems clear that no one has a clue So shall I just close my eyes and pin the tail on the donkey
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:50 am

Sounds like the best bet.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, from all these replies it seems clear that no one has a clue So shall I just close my eyes and pin the tail on the donkey
A visiting Kiwi friend (lives in UK) described it to me as needing to imagine there is a roundabout in your way as you turn left....meaning a car 'on the imaginary roundabout' has priority over you. It doesn't matter so much if you are 'on the imaginary roundabout i.e. the one turning right across the other party because you will hesitate thinking you never have right of way in this position and will only proceed when you can see the other car is nonetheless waiting and giving way to you. I thought all the NZ drivers were incredibly polite when I first arrived until someone pointed out the reality.
I thought I understood it and was eternally grateful for Kiwi friend's explanation but now feel it may still be clear as mud to OP...sorry.

Nerine is the unmarked side road rule like the Kiwi equivalent of 'priorite a droite'?....I used to fall foul of this in my last EU country and it is also the stupidest of rules but certainly helps you keep your speed down just in case someone zips out without looking where there are no road markings to dictate priority/give way.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:33 pm

Good explanation. Yep, I think it's something like the 'priorite a droite'.

Been here 3 months now and I'm still having to unlearn this rule, it's easy to spot the Kiwis round here though .
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:40 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

give way to anything coming from the right that crosses your path.

but there are get out clauses... something to do with filter lanes, if they are in a filter lane you do or you dont, or if you are in a filter lane you do or dont or something.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.