Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Fuel tanker driver

Fuel tanker driver

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:48 am
Just Joined

dave8217 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel tanker driver

Hi, just wanting to find out if any fuel tanker drivers in auckland or the rest of NZ are visiting the forum. If so I would be gratefull of any helpfull advice.
We are planning to move to Auckland next August. I have contacted a number of companies in the past but it seems that it is similar to the uk with contracts changing every couple of years. I did have a job offer to drive for Linfox on the Shell contract but that fell threw due to the recession. Since then they have lost the contract to Hooker Pacific. Does anyone work for a company that pulls for one of the main NZ fuel companies, BP, Shell, Caltex or Gulf.
My contact at Linfox said that Shell was thinking about pulling out of NZ altogether, is this true. I would also consider Bulk gas if any drivers do this. But I would prefer to stick with fuel as I have done this for the past 12 years with Total.

Regard Dave
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fuel tanker driver

If you are flexible about where you want to live another company to have a look at is Rural Fuel which operates in central and lower half of the north island
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Si19761
If you are flexible about where you want to live another company to have a look at is Rural Fuel which operates in central and lower half of the north island
Hi, thanks for the pointer. We are set on Auckland as it will provide the best oppertunities for all of us job wise. I have had very positive feedback from the companies located in Auckland, its just a case of trying to get a job close to our arrival in NZ.

thanks dave
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Tauranga has fuel depots as well. Good spot. Also if you want to do bulk liquid Fonterra will be recruiting in June 2011 ish for a late July/Early August start.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rason
Tauranga has fuel depots as well. Good spot. Also if you want to do bulk liquid Fonterra will be recruiting in June 2011 ish for a late July/Early August start.
The first time to NZ about 3 years ago we stopped just up from Tauranga at a place called Paku. I managed to stumble across the depots on the way to Mt Mauganui. I popped in to the main ones as they were all together in a line. I got some good advice and feedback from all, they did say Auckland had vacancies most of the time, drivers tended to relocate to Tauranga from Auckland as jobs appeared due to the holiday feel of the place. We have decided on Auckland mainly as their will be more opportunities for our son, also more chance for my wife to specialize in her field of occupational therapy. One thing we have learned with this process though is never discount any options. Do you know if bulk liquid Fonterra do fuels if so the timing could be perfect. thanks for the information your time and input

Regards Dave
Old Sep 25th 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Fonterra are milk mate.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave8217
Hi, just wanting to find out if any fuel tanker drivers in auckland or the rest of NZ are visiting the forum. If so I would be gratefull of any helpfull advice.
We are planning to move to Auckland next August. I have contacted a number of companies in the past but it seems that it is similar to the uk with contracts changing every couple of years. I did have a job offer to drive for Linfox on the Shell contract but that fell threw due to the recession. Since then they have lost the contract to Hooker Pacific. Does anyone work for a company that pulls for one of the main NZ fuel companies, BP, Shell, Caltex or Gulf.
My contact at Linfox said that Shell was thinking about pulling out of NZ altogether, is this true. I would also consider Bulk gas if any drivers do this. But I would prefer to stick with fuel as I have done this for the past 12 years with Total.

Regard Dave
hi dave
try looking on fonterra web site www.fonterra.com you can register your interest, driveing milk tankers must be mush the same as driveing fuel tankers
you have to keep them up right, hope this helps
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

I work for Fonterra and they are well sought after positions, mainly because the pay and conditions are probably the best in NZ. Well recommended but would be no good if you wanted to live in Auckland as the nearest depot is Hamilton.