British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Fuel tanker driver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/fuel-tanker-driver-686475/)

dave8217 Sep 21st 2010 10:48 pm

Fuel tanker driver

Hi, just wanting to find out if any fuel tanker drivers in auckland or the rest of NZ are visiting the forum. If so I would be gratefull of any helpfull advice.
We are planning to move to Auckland next August. I have contacted a number of companies in the past but it seems that it is similar to the uk with contracts changing every couple of years. I did have a job offer to drive for Linfox on the Shell contract but that fell threw due to the recession. Since then they have lost the contract to Hooker Pacific. Does anyone work for a company that pulls for one of the main NZ fuel companies, BP, Shell, Caltex or Gulf.
My contact at Linfox said that Shell was thinking about pulling out of NZ altogether, is this true. I would also consider Bulk gas if any drivers do this. But I would prefer to stick with fuel as I have done this for the past 12 years with Total.

Regard Dave

Si19761 Sep 22nd 2010 8:50 am

Re: Fuel tanker driver

If you are flexible about where you want to live another company to have a look at is Rural Fuel which operates in central and lower half of the north island

dave8217 Sep 22nd 2010 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Si19761 (Post 8868989)
If you are flexible about where you want to live another company to have a look at is Rural Fuel which operates in central and lower half of the north island

Hi, thanks for the pointer. We are set on Auckland as it will provide the best oppertunities for all of us job wise. I have had very positive feedback from the companies located in Auckland, its just a case of trying to get a job close to our arrival in NZ.

thanks dave

rason Sep 22nd 2010 8:40 pm

Tauranga has fuel depots as well. Good spot. Also if you want to do bulk liquid Fonterra will be recruiting in June 2011 ish for a late July/Early August start.

dave8217 Sep 24th 2010 5:00 am

Originally Posted by rason (Post 8870018)
Tauranga has fuel depots as well. Good spot. Also if you want to do bulk liquid Fonterra will be recruiting in June 2011 ish for a late July/Early August start.

The first time to NZ about 3 years ago we stopped just up from Tauranga at a place called Paku. I managed to stumble across the depots on the way to Mt Mauganui. I popped in to the main ones as they were all together in a line. I got some good advice and feedback from all, they did say Auckland had vacancies most of the time, drivers tended to relocate to Tauranga from Auckland as jobs appeared due to the holiday feel of the place. We have decided on Auckland mainly as their will be more opportunities for our son, also more chance for my wife to specialize in her field of occupational therapy. One thing we have learned with this process though is never discount any options. Do you know if bulk liquid Fonterra do fuels if so the timing could be perfect. thanks for the information your time and input

Regards Dave

rason Sep 24th 2010 1:24 pm

Fonterra are milk mate.

concretepump Sep 25th 2010 5:01 am

Originally Posted by dave8217 (Post 8867616)
Hi, just wanting to find out if any fuel tanker drivers in auckland or the rest of NZ are visiting the forum. If so I would be gratefull of any helpfull advice.
We are planning to move to Auckland next August. I have contacted a number of companies in the past but it seems that it is similar to the uk with contracts changing every couple of years. I did have a job offer to drive for Linfox on the Shell contract but that fell threw due to the recession. Since then they have lost the contract to Hooker Pacific. Does anyone work for a company that pulls for one of the main NZ fuel companies, BP, Shell, Caltex or Gulf.
My contact at Linfox said that Shell was thinking about pulling out of NZ altogether, is this true. I would also consider Bulk gas if any drivers do this. But I would prefer to stick with fuel as I have done this for the past 12 years with Total.

Regard Dave

hi dave
try looking on fonterra web site www.fonterra.com you can register your interest, driveing milk tankers must be mush the same as driveing fuel tankers
you have to keep them up right, hope this helps

rason Sep 28th 2010 11:24 pm

I work for Fonterra and they are well sought after positions, mainly because the pay and conditions are probably the best in NZ. Well recommended but would be no good if you wanted to live in Auckland as the nearest depot is Hamilton.